Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batch broken collar bone  (Read 1796 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 08:49 »

So the Sporting News is stating that we have signed both Leftwich and Culpepper, which I find very hard to believe.  That move doesn't make sense in my opinion.  It's crazy and I have no idea where they got that information.  Then we have the Trib who is stating that we are looking at both Leftwich and Culpepper and the PPG stating that we are looking at Leftwich, no word on Culpepper.  Interesting.

IMO, unless the Steelers have other plans in store, I'm not sure either of these two are jumping for joy over the strong possibility of coming in here for 6-8 weeks and then getting the boot, but I definately see Leftwich signing here long before Culpepper.

According to the PPG, Leftwich could sign today and going by Leftwich's recent comments, I'm not doubting the possibility...

"They have an opportunity to win it all," Leftwich said. "To be part of that, if I can help, that's my mind-set. I'm just trying to get back out there."

"I know Ben well, him and Charlie," Leftwich said. "I played against Ben, competed against him in college. It was fun."

"I think anytime you get a chance to play for a team like this with this much tradition, you do it," Leftwich said. "Just to be part of it ... playing against those guys, they were always a well-coached, good football team."

The Steelers did not mention how long he might be on their roster if signed. Coach Mike Tomlin estimated that Batch could miss four to six weeks and that they would not place him on injured reserve.

"I don't know what the situation is, I don't know the process," Leftwich said. "I just want to come in and try to work my butt off."

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 09:24 »

IMO, either of those guys would be stoked to sign with Pittsburgh because it would give them a chance to either be (1)  on a winning team; or (2) at the very least, give them ample opportunity to showcase their "skills" during the remaining PS games which might lead to another team signing them when the Steelers give them the axe.

#7 isn't likely to get much in game action so these guys would get a lot of looks.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 12:47 »

Culpepper, Leftwich vie to be Steelers' backup QB
Sunday, August 10, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have brought two veteran quarterbacks to training camp today and will sign one of them to replace Charlie Batch as their backup.

Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper both arrived at St. Vincent College in Latrobe today. After each have their physicals, one will sign to be the backup to Ben Roethlisberger until Batch heals. Batch broke his right collarbone Friday night in the second quarter against Philadelphia and will miss 4-6 weeks.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08223/903337-100.stm
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 14:37 »

Signing either would be outstanding, IMO.  Both have some negatives, but hell, they both were very successful starters for several years.  As aj put it, they get a few weeks to sell themselves, too.

So which do you prefer?  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 15:13 »

Signing either would be outstanding, IMO.  Both have some negatives, but hell, they both were very successful starters for several years.  As aj put it, they get a few weeks to sell themselves, too.

So which do you prefer?
As already mentioned in this thread, the Steelers O-line needs someone that has the ability to escape the pocket and buy time, and Leftwich doesn't have that.  Gotta go with Culpepper for that reason alone, though in all honesty, I'm just hoping neither one of them takes a single regular season snap.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 16:01 »

Culpepper..probably just b/c he had more success with Oakland last year than Lefty did with ATL.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2008 at 16:11 »

So which do you prefer?
Culpepper by a wide margin.  was never a big fan of baby fat and thought he received way too much hype from being carried down the field back in college.  Ghey!

and once Jeremy "fair catch" bloom gets the axe, Culpepper can have his old #11 back.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 00:28 »

Interesting Scenarios....  A lot longer than I thought to heal a collar bone... 6-8 w/ surgery and 10-12 w/o.

So, what the heck we do on final cut day?  I surely dont want to see 4 QBs on our roster.  Dixon for sure is going to make the team.  4 QBs mean that some one is going to be the odd man out, like Reid, Russell, Mundy, Drummond, etc...  All who I think could be valuable to have around in their respective roles.

(BTW, I think we take 5 WRs ... but Russell could be SOL.  Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Davis...(Dixon?)...  would they need any more backs in this system in the next couple years? I guess thats another conversation.)

Given that Batch's situation is no longer an optimistic 4-6 weeks, and Leftwich's salary will be guarenteed when we hit week 1, maybe Charlie will end up on IR, giving us the 3 QB final roster.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 07:40 »

Apparently Culpepper will sit and wait for a starting gig.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3528603
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Leftwich, 28, signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap. Leftwich was chosen over Daunte Culpepper, who also visited the Steelers Sunday.

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 10:14 »

Apparently Culpepper will sit and wait for a starting gig.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=3528603
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Leftwich, 28, signed a one-year, $605,000 deal to join the Steelers. Because he signed for a minimum exception contract, the deal will only count $445,000 on the Steelers salary cap. Leftwich was chosen over Daunte Culpepper, who also visited the Steelers Sunday.

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

Well, tell 'em to hop on the Interstate and arm roll his way over to Chicago or maybe back to his old stomping grounds in Minny.  Hell, he might want to make a quick stop in Green Bay too since he'll be in the neighborhood.  He'll know after tonight if it's worth his time or not.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: