Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 PRESEASON - at Buffalo (in Toronto)  (Read 5020 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:10 »

Any thoughts on who needs to step up?

QB.  Obviously want to see Lefty run the offense competently, and have Dixon show constant improvement.  Can Ben show his skills on the hot read and checkdown again?  Potts is a non-factor.

OL.  Last game, we had the highest % of runs of any team.  This week, I want to see if we can effectively pass pro, especially Kemo.  I want Hartwig to come out and dominate.  I'd like someone to push Simmons... Stapleton?

WR.  One of the bubble WRs (Dallas Clark, Willie Reid) needs to clarify the picture.  It's starting to look like we will carry 6, with Drummond primarily a KR, and Jeremy Bloom looks done.  Micah Rucker might be a PS guy.

TE.  The number three spot is up for grabs, and Cody Boyd IMO is the best bet here.  But neither he nor Dekker nor Sherrod have stoood out.

RB.  No worries, mon.  FWP, RM, MW, GR, and CD look pretty well set here.  I would add that Justin Vincent has shown enough to make it interesting, though, and even with this surfeit I'd stash him on the PS.  

DL.  Presumably, Snack is back, so see if we stop the run any better.  Depth is the issue, and this IMO is the hottest battle right now.  Eason and Kirschke are the waning vets, and Ryan McBean the second year guy who needs to turn it on NOW.  Would love to see Martavius Prince or Jordan Reffett really push for a backup spot, as well.  Paxson looks undersized for a NT, and may be on the outs.

LB.  Still watching Timmons and Woodley with great expectations.  Where the hell is Bruce Davis?  Keyaron Fox showed good speed and awareness, and with STs play he looks to have won a job inside, with Timmons, Foote, and Farrior.  That might make things tougher for Mike Humpal, who IMO looked pretty good as well, and who may be more natural inside than out.  If Humpal can show versatility inside and out and some STs play, he could bump Dre Frazier or Arnold Harrison.  Would the Steelers carry 9 LBs?

DBs.  Wherefore art thou, Troy?  I hope and pray Anthony "Thuggery" Smith gets lots of snaps at SS, where IMO he could effectively fill in and lay the wood.  Ty Carter is too old and slow, and Troy gets dinged way too much.  Smith's aggressive nature fits the spot.  Bryant McFadden's starter window looks to be closing, and William Gay needs to show he can do it again this year to fend off guys like Grant Mason and Anthony Madison, which I think he will.  A couple of exciting UDFA CBs are Travis Williams out of East Carolina, and the guy Tomlin's buzzed about, Roy Lewis out of Washington.  Lewis could make the mess at S clearer if he can show acumen at both DB positions.  This guy could be nothing more than PS material, but it seems like he's opening eyes.  Maybe he makes it.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:14 »

LB. Still watching Timmons and Woodley with great expectations. Where the hell is Bruce Davis? Keyaron Fox showed good speed and awareness, and with STs play he looks to have won a job inside, with Timmons, Foote, and Farrior. That might make things tougher for Mike Humpal, who IMO looked pretty good as well, and who may be more natural inside than out. If Humpal can show versatility inside and out and some STs play, he could bump Dre Frazier or Arnold Harrison. Would the Steelers carry 9 LBs?

Top to bottom, I thought this group was the only impressive thing about our defense vs. Philly.

Any idea if the game is going to be televised nationally by anyone?  NFL Network?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:26 »

LB. Still watching Timmons and Woodley with great expectations. Where the hell is Bruce Davis? Keyaron Fox showed good speed and awareness, and with STs play he looks to have won a job inside, with Timmons, Foote, and Farrior. That might make things tougher for Mike Humpal, who IMO looked pretty good as well, and who may be more natural inside than out. If Humpal can show versatility inside and out and some STs play, he could bump Dre Frazier or Arnold Harrison. Would the Steelers carry 9 LBs?

Top to bottom, I thought this group was the only impressive thing about our defense vs. Philly.

Any idea if the game is going to be televised nationally by anyone?  NFL Network?

It's on the 212 at 11:00 IIRC.

Plus for those of you in Amish country, it's on CBS 21.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:48 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 12:42 »

Any idea if the game is going to be televised nationally by anyone? NFL Network?

I think it's on FSN Pittsburgh, for peeps outside the local viewing area. Channel 628 for DT, I think.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 14:17 »

I want to see Hartwig- I'd also like to see Sweed w/ the first team.

It's on @ 12:00 on the NFL network here.  I'm going to stay away from the news and puter till I see the first half.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 15:10 »

I'm interested in how Leftwich does, the DL and OL.  

LBs, RBs, and WRs seem to be doing well, though certainly there are minor battles.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 15:24 »

Obviously we're all interested in how the OL plays.  I'm, however, very concerned with the DL.  Lots of question marks, no depth, and they played pretty poorly without A. Smith last year.

I have mixed feelings about the Lefty vs. Batch thing.  If Ben goes down, we're most likely screwed.  Batch probably makes us less screwed, but Lefty has the potential make some plays down the field and keep the offense exciting.  I'm not sure about Dixon, so it wouldn't be a bad move to keep Lefty and Batch, then trying to sneak Dixon on the PS.

Tonight I'm really looking at the DL, Lefty, the improved return game (especially Moore, I think he's going to be good for us), and the punting situation.  I thought the LBs looked solid last game, but I hope the secondary can show a little more.

Oh yeah, fuck Canada.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 16:09 »

I'm on the fence re: Dixon.

I don't see him as a "Slash" player; he's QB-only in my book.

But I think he can be a good QB.  Maybe a good back up, maybe a good starter as the way Ben plays, he's bound to miss a few more games during his career, or maybe a good trade down the line.

At the same time, quality back-up QBs are available all of the time.  Having both Lefty and Pep in for work outs this late in the camp sessions lends itself to the idea that a team 1) does not need to draft a backup and 2) there isn't much point in grooming a late round QB for a backup role.  

Then again, the Steelers have had a difficult time getting decent returns from their Day Two picks in the past few years (though they seem to find many gems in UDFA).

Dixon won't sneak to the PS.  Too much upside and is a worthy #3 QB.  Not ready for the #2 QB spot yet.

If I were running the show, I would IR Batch and go with Lefty and Dixon.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 17:08 »

Oh yeah, fuck Canada.

Better strippers, better beer, stronger dollar.

Not exactly an Olympic powerhouse, but the free health care is nice, if you don't mind the wait.

And, last I checked, the CN Tower....

Never mind.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 18:42 »

Can watch the game on-line at P2P....http://xssports.rack111.com/

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: