Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 09:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do, what to do?  (Read 574 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Aug 14, 2008 at 14:33 »

I am actually posting this in two places because I'm not sure where it goes.

Occasionally, I've posted updates about my son's HS football career.  We are in a real mess this year, and I'm not sure how to approach it.  He is a senior, 6-1, 280, benches 315, etc.  He's pretty slow, but not terrible for oline.  He's playing right tackle in a program that returned every offensive line starter from last season.

He is getting very little PT in preseason, and I'm afraid that I'm about to become one of "those dads."  If he was a junior, I wouldn't say a word.  I'd be very happy with how he's coming along and his potential.  But he's a senior, and this is probably his last shot to play.  Plus, I see our defensive line getting killed--we've given up TDs on 80% of the drives against us during scrimmages.  Why not see if a bigger, stronger kid can help on the other side of the ball?

My debate is to talk with the coach or not talk with the coach.  My son has had a lot of things go against him, the least of which is not the fact that he has his third head coach in four years due to moving.  Do I dare to even approach the coach?  My son has basically said, "If you do, I'm not having any part of it."  He won't quit and he's completely committed to this team.  But I don't want to see him wasting away on the sidelines all year.

Thoughts?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 15:06 »

I don't think it's unreasonable to talk to him.  I do think it's unreasonable for parents to expect or demand that coaches play their kids, and coaches are probably naturally defensive in expectation that such would be your intention.

I'd approach it as a good-spirited Q&A session.  Wouldn't even say anything to the effect of "it's now or never for the kid."  More like:

"How's he doing for you?"
"Do you feel he's taken to the coaching?"
"What can he do to improve his game?"
"How do you think he would do if he played on the defensive line?"
"If he keeps working on strength and conditioning, what do you think he'd need to do to possibly be a college walk-on?"  

These kinds of questions plant ideas, state concerns, but also allow the coach to tell you what he's thinking.  Listen sincerely.  Thank him profusely.  And don't push.

JM2C.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 15:09 »

Push him to talk to the coach himself and have him offer to play both ways, if necessary.

"Willing to help the team anyway he can..."

Blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, that's all I've got ATM.  Gotta run.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 08:51 »

I've been there, & I've done that Preach.  I second AJ's motion.  It'd be better coming from the player first rather than Dad.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 11:51 »

Well, after we got smoked 37-0 in a scrimmage Fri. in which he only played about 7 minutes (it was a jamboree, two 12-minute quarters played), he talked to his offensive line coach.  At first, he was pretty discouraged, as the coach basically told him that he had no chance to get on the field.  However, he seemed to be more positive by the end of the conversation, even indicating that he would work at right and left tackle in practice.  

So Monday comes, and he finds out the starter at right is out for the day, as is the 3rd-team guy.  He gets all the reps (1st team, scout team, etc.) and calls to tell me that he had a horrible practice.  Keeping in mind that he hasn't had a ton of reps, he was probably worn out from getting every rep.  Also, he said that everything the coach said to him was critical.  Personally, I told him, I think that's a good thing.  If the coach is paying attention to you and telling you what you need to do to improve, then that's a positive.  I was upset that he didn't make the most of the opportunity, but at least the coaching staff is trying to make him better.  That's all that we can ask of them.  But he has to learn to deliver when given a chance.

It's pretty frustrating, and for the first time ever I don't think that I'd be upset if he came and just told me, "I don't want to do this anymore."  Not that I'd encourage him to quit, but I don't think that anyone can question his effort or work ethic.  Things just have not worked out as they should have.  At the same time, if he sticks it out, I hope that he can at least get some life lessons out of this.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: