Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 22:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Up and 5 Down  (Read 752 times)
steelers4lyfe333

« on: Aug 14, 2008 at 22:28 »

My 5 Up and 5 Down after the game vs the Bills

5 Up

1. Timmons and Harrison... The only player out there IMO that really showed like they wanted to be out there.. Timmons looked like a horse.. Agility looked insane.. Good special teams tackle... Looked great on the delayed blitz.. Harrison showed glimpses of what we remember from last yr.. Good speed rush for the sack.. Bull rushed the LT back 6 yards on Keisels "sack"... I was glad some1 showed some intensity

2. Dennis Dixon.. Showed me a quick release... Smart decision making.. Really looked like me made some good progressions from last week.. Read blitzes and found the hot route.. Only two bad throws the entire night... Showed that killer speed on that bootleg... The guy is alot more than a traditional backup...

3. Dallas Baker... In the 4th guarter when most people turn off the game Dallas really stepped up for that 5th WR spot.. Made a couple tough 3rd down catches across the middle.. Showed some toughness... I give him the edge over Reid at the moment...

4. In a game with lil bright spots its hard to pick 5 guys who shined... So sorry to be boring but I'll got with the Ohio Connection Ben ( Miami of Ohio) to Holmes (OSU)... Really building on where they left on last yr.. Holmes is just a monster on the deep ball and Ben puts it there.. Simple as that

5. Mike Tomlin.. A coach on the top 5?? In this game yes.. Mike made a statement keeping the 1st team O and D out there that long.. The first couple drives on both sides of the ball were pathetic... Instead of yelling and showing his frustration he made a silent statement by keeping all the starters in and I think the team as a whole responded.. I just hope he addresses that all our mistakes are totally unacceptable and corrects them..

5 Down

1. Sloppy Play... Wow.. So many missed tackles... Pitiful... Too many pre-snap penalties.. Having too many guys in the huddle twice.. Mistakes like that just cant happen..Just felt like the defense took two steps backwards after their good play last week..

2. The Whole First Team O-Line... Marvel got burnt... Looked 2 steps too slow 2nite... Kemo with a false start... Hartwig with a holding penalty.. Even though the replay showed the call was pretty much bull... I expect him to do things to show that he should be the starter over Mahan.. As of yet he hasn't done enough.. Simmons got his legs caught up on a passing play.. Just looked like a lack of desire 2nite.. Colon looked like a total joke.. Got slammed back into the pocket numerous times.. Just got embarrassed.. I wish Starks could challenge him.. Even though Starks got smoked at LT.. Starks looks alot more at home at RT...

3. Run Defense... Way too many cut backs were allowed.. The DE's were playing way out of their zone.. Casey has zero push.. The OLB's were getting pushed around... It was just sad.. Aaron Smith doesn't look like he's 100% yet.. They ran at him throughout the 1st quarter... Not too worried though.. I no this will be fixed...

4. Special Teams/ Paul Ernster... Really good punt/ kick coverages until Leodis' return.. Ernsters kick offs were the worst I have ever seen.. I think he really lost his job 2nite... His punts sucked.. I gave him props last week.. I dont think he can handle the competition with Berger..

5. Pass Rush.. The Bills were playing without Jason Peters.. We should have torn up Trent Edwards and JP Losman... Gave them wayyyy too much time back there.. DE's had no push.. Woodley looked controlled.. They let our secondary get shredded... Gay got used again... So did Ike...

Very lil bright spots in this game... Alot of things to correct.. I just hope this isn't going to be the play of our line's vs quality competition throughout the yr...
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 22:51 »

One correction.. When I was talking about the DE's not controlling their "zone assignments"... The correct terminology I wanted to use for that was gap assignment.. Sorry bout that
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 22:53 »

Not much to say about this one.

O-line was abysmal....D-line push was almost non existent....I feel pretty good about our backers, but I am VERY concerned about both lines and our secondary play...the Steelers are just NOT the same team without Troy back there.

Speaking of Troy, is he ever going to be on the field again? I have a feeling he may not be healed on time for the start of the season....I mean, he has yet to even practice yet...at all...I have not been critical or down on Troy like some, but I am getting very close...he needs to get his ass on the field NOW!!!

Good play from Ben, Holmes, Timmons, Dixon and Harrison....thought Parker and Mendenhall looked okay...not much else to say about anyone else....Reed misses a FG, and yet another return for a td on special teams....here we go again.

I hope I am just being overly critical, but I do not have a good feeling about the season right now after letting the Bills march down the field like a day at the park....the Steelers will be facing MUCH tougher offenses and qb's than the Bills and Edwards.

Here's hoping for the best.

Go Steelers!!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2008 at 23:09 »

We kthe OL was basically shit, so no surprise there. The first team D hasn't looked all that good, especially the pass D. Both the Iggles and Bills completed a high % of passes. Poor special team play? Imagine that. Good thing its only the second preseason game.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 00:28 »

The part that was the most worrysome was a continuation of last years themes...

Putrid 1st team O-line play.  Colon and Marvel burnt.  4 penalties including 3 holds?  Ben running for his life.  

Then, when you see our line is having problems with run blitzs and speend rushes... doesn't it make sense to add some west coast flavor to the play call to get them to back off? 3 step droppers?  No- we continue with the run into a pile and long-routed pass plays.  I know its preeason, but the fact we saw it in the games makes me think more of the same is on tap.

D was just plain awful.  It had to be lethargy and not wanting to be out there.  I thought I noticed snack taking a few plays off before Hoke permanetly spelled him.  Buffalo did what they wanted to do.  Come back Troy; I cant stand to see another Ty Carter feeble swat down attempt!

Ben was sharp as a tack, and nearly got killed on the first series.  He alone will win us 8 games this year.  Hines shows no sign of slowing down yet.

I was impressed with Leftwich- good move.

Special teams breakdown in the second half.  

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2008 at 01:22 »

Jesus, what a play by Timmons on that Blitz....  The last time I saw a LB explode in like that was Kendrell Bell in 02'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: