Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 21:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitney out 3-5 months  (Read 793 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Aug 16, 2008 at 17:13 »

Whitney to miss start of Pens season after surgery
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney will miss the start of the upcoming season after successful surgery yesterday in Charlotte, N.C, to correct a chronic condition in his left foot.

The recovery time for such surgery is between three and five months.

The 6-foot-4, 219-pound Whitney, 25, scored 12 goals and added 28 assists in 76 regular season in 2007-08 and added one goal and five assists in 20 playoff games as the Penguins reached the Stanley Cup finals before losing to Detroit.

"Ryan has been bothered by the condition in his foot for some time," said Penguins general manager Ray Shero. "He consulted with a number of physicians in an effort to correct the problem without surgery, but it was ultimately determined that surgery was the best path to take for his general well-being and for his career.

"The doctors tell us he will be able to play pain-free when he returns to the lineup this season."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08229/904923-100.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 13:48 »

This is not good news at all for a guy who I feel has a good bit of proving to do this season and who I feel needs all the practice he can get before the season begins.  Obviously getting the practice is no longer an option.  Hopefully when he returns he starts playing like the 06-07 Ryan Whitney and not the 07-08 Ryan Whitney.  If not, he's going to start taking some massive heat from the fans, media and Therrien.

The other unfortunate and strong possibility stemming from this situation is the likelihood that the Penguins will keep Sydor and his overpaid salary along for the ride.  This is probably the best news Sydor has heard since arriving in Pittsburgh.  

So much for a Sydor/Scuderi trade or even a Whitney trade.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2008 at 16:32 »

If there is a silver lining to it though, maybe this chronic foot problem is part of the reason for Whitney's step back from 06-07 to 07-08. I didn't think Shero would make a move prior to the season opener, anyway. If he couldn't get someone to bite on Sydor around the draft/free agency period, I figured he'd hang onto all his chips and see what shakes out during the season. Best case senario, Whitney comes back 100% and looks like the 06-07 version, the young "D" (Letang and Gologoski) play at or even above expectation, and Shero has some solid, experienced defensemen to dangle at the trade deadline or earlier.

Again, I didn't expect Shero to make any trades before season starts so Whitney's surgery may not be all that bad and it could help to turn his play around.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2008 at 13:51 »

Maybe that is the reason why he looked like shit all season long?  Personally, I'm not buying it for a couple of reasons.

He had no problem showing up in the Detroit series and playing solid.  I would think if it were bothering him that badly, he would have played like he did all season long during the Detroit series.

If it were bothering him that badly all season long, Sydor would have been in there.  Therrien had no problem benching Letang in favor of Sydor, I see no reason why he wouldn't bench a 'supposed' injured Ryan Whitney in order to get Sydor in there.  

When it comes to a Sydor trade.  I was still holding out hope that a move would have been made with Sydor.  Up until Whitney got the surgery done, I feel Shero was open to listening to any offers put on the table for Sydor.  Between how much we are paying the guy, the fact that at the time we had way too many d-man and the fact that Sydor has stated on more than one occasion that he did not want to play in Pittsburgh anymore led me to believe that Shero was still shopping Sydor.  Now with Whitney's surgery, that chance has dropped dramatically in my opinion.

When it came to a Whitney trade.  I do believe that trade died down when Shero wouldn't bite on other team's trade bait.  If I recall correctly, the rumor was that Shero wanted a top notch forward and a second round pick.  Teams were not willing to give us that second round pick.  Now with Whitney's surgery, there definately won't be a deal done.  If we are still willing to trade him come the deadline (wouldn't surprise me at all), we may not get as much as we would have back in early July.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2008 at 14:24 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: