Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 23:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Party Boy Matt  (Read 781 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 25, 2008 at 12:50 »

With Leinart getting benched for ol' man Warner, the thought occurs to me.  

A player who begins the season on the PUP list must sit out his team's first six games. After that point, the player is allowed to practice with the team through Week 10 of the NFL season, and can be activated any time within that window. If the player is not activated by Week 10, he must stop practicing and is unavailable to be moved to the active roster for the remainder of the season.

And:

Currently, the NFL's injured reserve rule restricts a player so designated from returning to play during the season that he's placed on the list.

Given that:

*IRing Batch would be worthless.  We would be better off cutting and saving salary.
*PUPing Batch means we don't get Batch back until week 7; with the bye, 6 games lost.

My thoughts are that we should cut Batch with a wink and a nod: who's going to take him the first half the year anyway?  With Byron looking good, teams might be getting anxious for depth or starters (Cards, Bears, Niners), and if Matty is a washout, Lefty could be an option for the future.  Basically, we'd allow the winning team the edge in getting Lefty before we'd release him at the end of the year.  Might be worth a player or a later pick... And then we pick up Batch off the street.  

I mean, if I'm Ken Whiz, I'm not to effin happy with Party Boy.  And Warner's old and been knocked around some.  Leftwich, early in the season, might be a good idea.  Worth a 2009 R4?  R5?
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008 at 13:05 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 13:04 »

Why not trade Batch? He is a few years younger than Warner, knows his system. Warner can play the first couple of weeks, if he sucks eggs, Whiz uses Batch.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 13:06 »

We'd have to carry 4 QBs on the roster, and that would mean bumping another spot.  Right now, we have critical depth issues on both lines...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2008 at 13:10 »

True. Didn't take that part of it into consideration.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: