Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 14:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirecTV/Sunday Ticket/SuperFAN  (Read 1270 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 29, 2008 at 12:46 »

Pretty sure this was already discussed, but I couldn't find the thread on it.

If you subscribe to the Ticket and pay for HD Monthly Access, call DirecTV and make a stink about not being able to get all of the NFL games in HD even though you pay for both of those services.

"So, I've got to pay an additional HD charge in addition to the one I already pay just to see games in HD?  So, you're double billing me for HD programming??"

I got 'em to give me SuperFAN at no extra charge using that angle.

Good luck.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2008 at 12:47 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2008 at 14:34 »

Nice work AJ.  I meant to call weeks ago, but haven't done it.  I'll give them a ringy on Monday evening.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2008 at 20:04 »

Am I out of my mind wishing/hoping the NFL would go to a single game PPV?  

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2008 at 07:53 »

VW: Yup, out of your mind.  Why let someone like my purchases game by game, when the Steelers aren't televised, when I'll buy the whole season? They would make extra $ off of someone like you, but it wouldn't offset the losses of seasonal subscribers going game by game.  MHO.

AJ - Called last night.  Got the Super fan for free, AND they are shipping me an upgraded receiver for free.  I have an "old" HD DVR (HR20) that they are going to upgrade.  The new one has 100 hours of HD recording time.  She wouldn't give me a model # but it is definitely an upgrade.  It will definitely be faster than the HR-20.

I have a couple of recordings I want to keep.  Didn't realize it, but using the DTV website, you can pull that info off of the old DVR and it will load on the new box once installed.  I heart technology!!!!!!!!!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 13:47 »

For those with DVR...

You know how DTV tells you that you need to run two separate wires from the dish to be able to record one show while watching another??  Well, can you just split the coax wire behind the receiver and get the same result?

They told me no, but I think they're BSin' me.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2008 at 13:48 by aj_law » Logged

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:37 »

Can't split it with a splitter.  The way I understand it, and this may be an overly simplified version, there is an X and a Y signal in the coax.  If you split it into two lines, one has an X and the other has the Y but you need both to get the picture.

You need something called a multiswitch.  It is made specifically for satellite TV.  If you have 2 lines coming off the dish (more on that in a minute) run two lines into the multiswitch and then you get 4 lines coming out of it.  You can put that outside somewhere near the dish then run 4 lines to different parts of your house (2 to main TV and the two others where ever or nowhere).  Or, run both lines to the main TV and put the multiswitch behind your TV.  If you have another TV or a Junction area (outside) where different coax lines go to different rooms, you can run one or two of your lines coming out of the multiswitch out to that junction area to the additional rooms.  Hopefully that makes sense.  I haven't priced them recently but you should be able to get a multiswitch for about $50.

AJ - If you have the HR 21 reciever box, you have the MPEG 4 equipment, which means you also have the 5 LNB dish, either the slimline or the crappy 1st generation which is a 3 LNB with a "sidecar" with two additional LNB's.  These dishes (slimline) have a multiswitch built into the dish, so you can run 4 lines from the dish to your house.  When you got installation, part of that is running 2 lines to that DVR.  I know people that plug the new box in themselves, and don't have an installer come out to run the additional line.  Usually you can get free installation or pay no more than $50.  Definitely worth it to have the 2nd line going to the box.

You can call for service.  They have, or used to have, a service plan where you pay $75 for a year of free service calls, but includes equipment like a multiswitch (you shouldn't need one unless you need more than 4 lines in your house).  That would then mean $50 for the switch and $25 for someone else to jack around with it.

Let me know if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:45 by Big Virgil » Logged

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:22 »

You need something called a multiswitch.  It is made specifically for satellite TV.  

BV is right. You can pick up a 2 line in to 4 line out multiswitch at Radio Shack for like 50 bucks. The service guys also sell them, and sometimes they sell them for cheap.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 11:23 »

Again, thanks for the info.

I still haven't made that phone call to them.  I want them to come out and run a line to my basement now that it's finished.  Adding a line to my LR might be something else to add to my "wish list" too.

oo)

My biggest gripe is that the techs they've sent out the last two times I needed to have something done have been less than stellar.  If I was around when the last one was there, I woulda beat his ass for what he did to the side of my house.  

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 12:32 »

My wife doesn't know jack about the TV stuff, or what I want done.

She is the computer nerd of the house, so I left her there for the Comcast guy installing the cable internet.  I got there when he was about to leave.  He was feeding her a bunch of crap.  He did about an hour worth or work and got it up and running after I discussed it with him.  Mrs. BV is nobody's push-over, but she doesn't know jack about outlets and drilling holes in the house etc.

Some friends have has non english speaking DTV installers, and fortunately I have always had good installers.  The last guy didn't want to give me a multiswitch, since there is one built into the dish itself, so I made him run the 4th line to a secondary bedroom.  He didn't like it, but it was that or the multiswitch, his choice.  He ran the new line.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: