Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 05:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ACC just blows  (Read 1687 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:21 »

You remember a few years ago when the ACC made a move to become a "power conference" in football?

How's that workin' out?

Mia & FlaSt:  Unranked for the first time in a gozillion years.

VaTech:  Lost to ECU on a BLOCKED PUNT!  By the way, I'm looking for my Furman Paladins to put a WHUPPIN' on them this weekend!   :pray:

Clemson:  Got spanked by Alabama

UVa:  Didn't even bother to show up vs. SoCal

Maryland:  Sneaks by a good Delaware (FCS) team

UNC:  Sneaks by a good McNeese State (FCS) team

NC State:  Destroyed by a mediocre South Carolina team

The most impressive win of the weekend?  It may be Duke blowing out James Madison, an FCS powerhouse!  Seriously, I thought Duke would lose that game.

It appears that the ACC has now drawn even--with the upper-end of FCS!

The Football God has spoken, and his wrath has come upon the ACC.  Your arrogance has cost you the ultimate price.  Stealing teams doesn't make you a good football conference; in fact, it seems that you have dragged everyone else down rather than raising yourselves up.  How about LEARN TO PLAY???

Here's to hoping that Furman can become this year's AppSt in Blacksburg Sat.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:24 by Preacherman0 » Logged

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:25 »

The Big East didn't do much better this week, but bravo Preach! Karma is a bitch.

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:31 »

The Big East didn't do much better this week, but bravo Preach! Karma is a bitch.

No, they didn't...but I think the Big East has a chance to get better.  The ACC could actually get WORSE as the season progresses.

No offense to SCacalaki, but I live in the middle of Clemp-son Country and I'm silently enjoying this.  Last week, they were going to challenge for the national title.  This week?  "Fire Tommy Bowden!"  They may have the most delusional fan base in the nation.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:42 »

I am right there with ya Preach, don't get me wrong. Just didn't want ACC apologists to have an argument about the Big East's bad weekend. WVU, USF, and Cincinnati should be in the top 25 by year's end, chance Rutgers could rebound and get there....Pitt, well, what can I say. Wanny can recruit that is for sure.

WVU's defense will be the tale of their season though. Very young and inexperienced, but fast. Hopefully, they can gel. I believe if WVU's D can be in the top 35 in total D and scoring D, there is a reasonable chance they can make it to the BCS championship game....If not, there will be a few losses on that schedule.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 10:48 »

WVU, USF, and Cincinnati should be in the top 25 by year's end, chance Rutgers could rebound and get there....Pitt, well, what can I say. Wanny can recruit that is for sure.

Wanny should resign as coach and become the recruiting coordinator.  I just don't think the guy can coach at all.  Good person, perhaps a good/great dcoordinator, but he ain't got it as an hc.

Honestly, I look for Rutgers to do much better.  They beat Fresno all over the field in the first half, just couldn't close the deal.  That's a problem for many young, inexperienced guys, or so I'm told.  ;)  I look for USF and WVU to be solid all season.

Here's a question for you:  what the heck has happened to Louisville???  

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 11:58 »

Here's a question for you:  what the heck has happened to Louisville???
Darn good question. I find it hard to believe that it all falls apart because Petrino left, but it appears that is what has happened. Kragthorpe ain't no Petrino. The Big East needs Louisville to be good though.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 09:06 »

I hate that Clemson is playing my alma The Citadel this weekend.  Would much rather Clemson play a decent team to really nail down whether Clemson has any chance at the ACC title this year.

I don't think it's any surprise that the fan base is calling for Tommy's firing....many haven't liked him for the past 2-3 years after consecutive bowl losses (Kentucky and Auburn) and last year's loss to Univ SC.  

Typically, Tommy gets the Tigers off to a fast start, going 5-1, then stumbles against Wake or GT and loses the bowl game.  

Though, Clemson's recruiting has improved dramatically in the past few years.  The quality of player Clemson is getting is much better than it used to be and it's coming from farther away (taking a lot of GA and FL prospects).  

With Tommy leading the ship, the Tigers best shot is to shoot for the ACC title.  And with the state of the ACC right now, that isn't a lofty goal.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 10:18 »

I hate that Clemson is playing my alma The Citadel this weekend. Would much rather Clemson play a decent team to really nail down whether Clemson has any chance at the ACC title this year.

I don't think it's any surprise that the fan base is calling for Tommy's firing....many haven't liked him for the past 2-3 years after consecutive bowl losses (Kentucky and Auburn) and last year's loss to Univ SC.

Typically, Tommy gets the Tigers off to a fast start, going 5-1, then stumbles against Wake or GT and loses the bowl game.

Though, Clemson's recruiting has improved dramatically in the past few years. The quality of player Clemson is getting is much better than it used to be and it's coming from farther away (taking a lot of GA and FL prospects).

With Tommy leading the ship, the Tigers best shot is to shoot for the ACC title. And with the state of the ACC right now, that isn't a lofty goal.

Yeah, they also gave up over 300 yards passing to the 'Dogs.  That does not bode well for them, or the SoCon, for that matter.

I just don't think Tommy Bowden can coach.  He can recruit, but he doesn't seem to have the ability to motivate the team and get them ready to play.  It's become kind of sad and pathetic.  Now, he's being crucified in the local media because he called some other coaches to ask them how he could improve his game preparation/motivation.  

It was a HUGE mistake for him to go public with this.  But, on the other hand, I kind of admire it.  He has always come across as so defensive and arrogant that I was glad to know he had enough humility to ask for help.  We'll see if it does any good.

As for the rest of the ACC, it's still VERY winnable by Clemson, or just about anyone else.  While Furman didn't get the win that I hoped for, they certainly showed why VaTech ain't all that.  24-7 VT, and it was 3-0 at half.  In Q1, Tech had it first and goal on the Furman 3 and turned it over on downs.  If Furman had been able to manage any offense in the first half, this might have been a lot closer.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 10:19 »

BTW, Vin, if it's any consolation, I don't think WVU is that bad.  I do think ECU is that good.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:14 »

BTW, Vin, if it's any consolation, I don't think WVU is that bad.  I do think ECU is that good.
It's odd seeing them in the polls, but they do appear to be giant-killers this season.  Ranked 14 & the toughest part of their schedule is in the rearview mirror.  Two weeks in, & all their remaining opponents already have 1 loss or more.  Wouldn't that screw up the BCS?

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: