Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 10:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on new Maximum Grilled site  (Read 984 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Sep 03, 2008 at 12:52 »

http://maximumgrillednetwork.com

OK y'all, check it out if you dare.

There are two basic sections besides the "home" page: content (articles) and forums. To navigate use the menu towards the top on the left.  So, for the home page, click the Home tab on the menu towards the upper left. You get to the forums in the same way, via the Forum tab. Duh, huh? On the home page you'll notice the Welcome to .... article. Above it is a series of links. Click the Maximum Grilled News link to go to the articles section. There you'll see two category tabs:  MG Content and MG News.

There's also a nifty little Shoutbox thing (similar to a chat) that appears throughout the site and RSS feeds to Steelers articles located bottom center on the home page - collapsable for your convenience.

The calendar (tab located on the menu) is updated with all the game times and opponents.  Each game listed provides a link to the associated Game Day thread in the forum section.

In addition to the usual Admin, Moderator and Member user types the plan is for a "Member Author" type who'll be able to post articles to any of the article categories.

If you see little right/left/down pointing triangles, they're used to expand or collapse a section.  So, if you find the forums to be too narrow, click one of the arrows and either the left or right panels disappear providing more real estate for the forums.  Click again to restore.

Still need to work on the colors and a nice textured background, add an affiliates section, figure out the ads, get more smiley's and avatars, provide a fan photo section, add a logo (either the one from here or a new one) and figure out why my Member Author can't add an article even though I think he should. Also need to make the RSS feeds open in a new window w/out making the user right click and do it himself.

It's coming along, slowly but surely. I hope to have it looking better than a hobby site by the off season. Seems a reasonable goal.

So, please register, check it out (you should find basically the same functionality there as here) and leave comments in the Feedback forum.  I'm particularly interested in perceived load times for the pages.  They load fast for me, but I'm just one user.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 12:58 »

So what's the plan... leave this site for that?

Oh, and BTW, WTF is up with this?

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Buzzkill!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 13:02 »

Just my $.02, change the font color or the gray background, the gold is difficult to read....JMO. I am registered.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2008 at 13:02 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 13:08 »

Meant to ask also, are we going to be able to import this forum over?

Are we adding the scrolling marquees for scores and countdowns?

As always, I will be glad to help.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 13:35 »

Vinman, yeah, I not happy with the colors - some of the stuff is definately hard to read, it will all have to be changed.  Will probably settle on something completely different.

Finny, yes, I'd like to get away from Invision and see if a couple of google ads will pay for the hosting.  That way it can be more of a real fan site with a forum instead of just a forum.   And the "agreement" was just the BS that came with the forum software, I forgot about it.  That stuff can be changed as needed.

Yeah, we'll have to have the scrolling stuff.  Was just talking to a guy who hosts a Nebraska fan site and he mentioned some software that'll scroll RSS feeds, so that would be way cool.  

As for saving the posts from here, I've had a support ticket open with Invision for 4 or 5 days.  It's doable if they'll provide the data dump.  There's a converter to go from IPB (Invision Power Board) to SMF (the software I'm using).  The catch is the cost - which is part of my query in the support ticket.  I found a 3 or 4 year old post on the SMF forums where a guy claimed that Invision wanted about 500 bucks to dump his 160,000 post board.  We're at about 140,000 here.  Don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, Invision is raping people for what basically amounts to pushing a button.

Anyways this is all down the road.  But I'd really like to transfer all the posts and usernames, no doubt.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 15:12 »

We can have a roadkill cookout fundraiser!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 19:39 »

Deep Fried Possum on a Stick - $2.95
Mixed Critter Stew (serves 4) - $16.95, w/ stuffed baby fowl poppers, $20.95
*Curry Slurry and Goo w/ sun-dried toad crackers - $5.95
Surprised Armadillo on the Half Shell - $10.95

* denotes spicy selections

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 21:06 »

Deep Fried Possum on a Stick - $2.95
Mixed Critter Stew (serves 4) - $16.95, w/ stuffed baby fowl poppers, $20.95
*Curry Slurry and Goo w/ sun-dried toad crackers - $5.95
Surprised Armadillo on the Half Shell - $10.95

* denotes spicy selections
You forgot the chipotle pepperjack cajun driveway-flattened squirrel.  Choose any 2 sides!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 21:16 »

A Side of This - $0.95
Sum o Dat - $1.50

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2008 at 12:15 »

Check it out, got the basics out of the way.  Decided to go with the solid black background as it's easier on the eyes IMO than the all white ones like google.

Still some tweaks here and there on text colors but I like it for the most part.

When you're in the forum section, if you prefer it to be full width then click the little triangle that points to the left.  The triangle disappears then (it turns black) but it's still there and you can click it again to restore the left panel.  Whenever the page refreshes the triangle reappears.  Just a little bug  :ph43r:

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Spen

« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 09:58 »

I like it overall. I do think its a bit dark at times and the alternating black and gray forum posts makes my eyes blur.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 11:44 »

Thanks for the input spen. ;)  
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008 at 11:45 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:37 »

OK, the layout is finished for the most part.  Let's say it's stable minus any tweaks I may find.

1) Decided to maximize (full width) the forum section, so there's no stuff on the left or right when viewing the forum.  In that area it looks like any other forum site.

2) The home/front page has stuff on the left and right with the main content (article, rss feeds for steeler news) in the center.

3) The news/articles section displays only the left side (e.g., right side is hidden) which allows for a larger view of that content.  Navigate there via the link bar "Maximum Grilled Steelers > Maximum Grilled News > Welcome to Maximum Grilled Steelers" and select the center link.

4) Colors.  Yes, it's dark.  OK.  The great thing about the SMF software is that "themes" are selectable per user.  The current theme is the site default but each person can change his theme.  I plan to work on a lighter colored Steeler theme but the SMF Default and a few others are available for use.  Click "Profile" from the menu then click "Look and Layout Preferences" and select one.  There's even a preview button.

5) Next step is obtaining the posts from this site.  Invision still hasn't addressed the support ticket nor the post in their support forum.  I guess that among 250,000 other boards they host it's easy to get lost.  If there's nothing w/in the next week, I've found some examples on manually obtaining them in an automated fashion.  Contradictory?  I'll get 'em one way or another.  Probably just the last 12-18 months  though.

And last but certainly not least:  Google Ads.  I've made an effort to make them unobtrusive.  Feel free to click on them and buy lots of stuff.   :ph43r:

Google crawled the site the other night so most of the ads are sports, football and Steelers related but due to usage of the word "grilled" you'll see some lovely grilling recipies and such.  Kinda funny.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 22:02 »

Got a reply on the support ticket.  I had to chop it down to around 10,000 posts.  That's the last year of the Steeler forum, most posts from the last two drafts and as many months of everything else as would fit.  Everything was lopped off the back, all the new stuff is still here.

So, I hope to have it all moved over after they provide the dump, shouldn't take more than a few days.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: