Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 02:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High School Update: Things may be improving  (Read 570 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 03, 2008 at 14:37 »

Well, the roller coaster preseason continued into week 1 for my son this past Friday.  His team won, but he only got in on one play.  This followed up a Thursday practice where he basically got blamed for a very sketchy mistake (won't go into it all).  After the game (which they won), he basically lost it right in front of everyone.  It was a bad time and place, but I guess all the built-up frustration just came out.  It was then that I realized how much I've messed this thing up.  Out of concern for him and for his chance to play his senior year, I gave him the impression that his playing time was more important than team goals.  I had pretty much allowed him to lose focus on why he was playing the game in the first place.

So, after he and I had a little "Come to Jesus" meeting, he goes and talks to the head coach.  No more messing with the assistants, he goes straight to the head man.  Well, I wish he had done this at the beginning, even though the coach advised them to go through their position coach first.  He got much more direct responses from the head man:  Where/when he wasn't giving enough effort, how he could be a better practice player, how he could be more of a team leader, etc.  Apparently it was a pretty long heart-to-heart, and the coach said to him, "If you'll give the effort in practice, I'll find a place for you to play."

Mon. at practice, he makes some apologies to the offensive line for being selfish, apologizes to his coaches for his attitude, and starts to make some improvements in how he's playing.  I haven't been out there, but he feels a lot better about things, and he feels like he's getting the attention of the coaches now.  

We play a team Fri. night that we SHOULD roll over pretty bad, so I'm thinking that he'll get to play.  We will see how it works out, and if this new coach will stick to his word.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2008 at 16:25 »

Good luck to him.  If this doesn't work, he'll probably become a buddhist though.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 07:17 »

Good luck to him. If this doesn't work, he'll probably become a buddhist though.

Maybe we can call Phil Jackson to be his personal advisor.

Whatever it takes!   :rolleyes:  

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2008 at 23:33 »

he and I had a little "Come to Jesus" meeting

me and my old man had plenty of those in my younger days.  but it was called "going to Jesus" instead.  those 3 inch wide 70's leather belts were the best invention i tell you.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 13:38 »

Well, he at least got to play last night, but it was after we already had a 45-0 lead.  I just kept my mouth shut about it because he played well and I didn't want to bring him down with my frustration.  

But I know that he's hoping to get some chances in games where we're not up by 6 touchdowns.  It was just kind of strange that they subbed every position early other than the offensive line.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2008 at 13:59 »

Well, he at least got to play last night, but it was after we already had a 45-0 lead.
You kicked a field goal?!? I say your coach has no balls.  Gotta go for the jugular!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: