Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 01:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on new Maximum Grilled site  (Read 1149 times)
Spen

« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 09:58 »

I like it overall. I do think its a bit dark at times and the alternating black and gray forum posts makes my eyes blur.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 11:44 »

Thanks for the input spen. ;)  
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008 at 11:45 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 12:37 »

OK, the layout is finished for the most part.  Let's say it's stable minus any tweaks I may find.

1) Decided to maximize (full width) the forum section, so there's no stuff on the left or right when viewing the forum.  In that area it looks like any other forum site.

2) The home/front page has stuff on the left and right with the main content (article, rss feeds for steeler news) in the center.

3) The news/articles section displays only the left side (e.g., right side is hidden) which allows for a larger view of that content.  Navigate there via the link bar "Maximum Grilled Steelers > Maximum Grilled News > Welcome to Maximum Grilled Steelers" and select the center link.

4) Colors.  Yes, it's dark.  OK.  The great thing about the SMF software is that "themes" are selectable per user.  The current theme is the site default but each person can change his theme.  I plan to work on a lighter colored Steeler theme but the SMF Default and a few others are available for use.  Click "Profile" from the menu then click "Look and Layout Preferences" and select one.  There's even a preview button.

5) Next step is obtaining the posts from this site.  Invision still hasn't addressed the support ticket nor the post in their support forum.  I guess that among 250,000 other boards they host it's easy to get lost.  If there's nothing w/in the next week, I've found some examples on manually obtaining them in an automated fashion.  Contradictory?  I'll get 'em one way or another.  Probably just the last 12-18 months  though.

And last but certainly not least:  Google Ads.  I've made an effort to make them unobtrusive.  Feel free to click on them and buy lots of stuff.   :ph43r:

Google crawled the site the other night so most of the ads are sports, football and Steelers related but due to usage of the word "grilled" you'll see some lovely grilling recipies and such.  Kinda funny.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 22:02 »

Got a reply on the support ticket.  I had to chop it down to around 10,000 posts.  That's the last year of the Steeler forum, most posts from the last two drafts and as many months of everything else as would fit.  Everything was lopped off the back, all the new stuff is still here.

So, I hope to have it all moved over after they provide the dump, shouldn't take more than a few days.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: