Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 13:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finny's flippin' week 7 pix  (Read 771 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 17, 2008 at 11:52 »

Effin work.  Too effin busy to doodle around with power rankings and picks and whatnot.  Ah well, here's a quick and ill-considered look at this weekend's slate.

TENNESSEE TITANS (-8) at KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.   Trap game for the NFL's last undefeated?  Maybe.  But something tells me that last week's spate of upsets tilted the mood of the football gods, who may just let the better team win.  Might be closer than the spread indicates.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Titans 24, Chiefs 17.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (-1) at BUFFALO BILLS.  Still not sold on that SD defense.  Bills got bushwhacked in the desert and have spent a week licking their wounds.  Chargers take the early trip east to play the 7:00 a.m. game.  Bills seem to have lost some of their early headiness, and need to show more zip.  Balance is great, but you got juice?

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Bills 23, Chargers 21.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (-10) at CINCINNATI BENGALS.
  Well, speaking of trap games.  Lord, I hate games like this.  Division game.  Injury issues.  Bengals playing better lately.  Steelers looking ahead.  Oh, and then I realize that the Bengals won't have Palmer, have a RB who leads the league in fumbles, and a defense that couldn't stop a zombie from Night of the Living Dead from stumbling through it.  I just don't see us letting the Bengals stay too close.

Miami won't be happy about the Ravens getting whipped by Manning last week.  Expect their D to be fired.  They'll be all over Curly Sue.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Ravens 17, Dolphins 12.

DALLAS COWBOYS (-7) at ST. LOUIS RAMS.
  Dallas's main problem isn't TO's mouth, or Pacman's misadventures, or Romo's pinkie.  It's a defense that can't shut teams down.  The Rams, on the other hand, just won their Super Bowl and won't be able to play catch up here.

Don't like how the strength of the Vikings team -- running game and D -- looks of late.  Bears should win this.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Bears 17, Vikings 14.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (+3) at CAROLINA PANTHERS.
  Good news is the Saints have Colston and Shockey coming back.  Bad news is, the offense isn't the problem.  Same old story for the Saints.  Panthers just got clobbered by the Bucs, and will be looking for a little payback in a defense-vs.-offense showcase.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Panthers 24, Saints 20.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (+11) at N.Y. GIANTS.
  Here's a theme: teams that got upset last week, badly upset, coming back all pissed off and taking shit out on their opponents.  See where I'm going with this?  Niners' OC Martz had some shimmer on the offense early, but O'Sullivan is back to being a pumpkin again. 

Some great fucking football here.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Texans 23, Lions 13.

N.Y. JETS (-3) at OAKLAND RAIDERS.
  I just traded Coles to Penso for depth at RB, so that should mean Laveraneus hauls in 125 yards plus and three scores.

Browns aren't as good as they looked last week.  Redksins aren't as bad.  Any questions?

OK, after weeks of looking like shit, and winning by shit like Sage Rosenfels couhging the ball up 3 times in 5 minutes, the Colts came out and looked like the Colts.  I'm still not buying.  Packers have been looking dull lately, and their defense continues to underwhelm.  Who are these teams?

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Colts 24, Packers 20.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (+11) at TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS.
  Bucs D is playing pretty well, even if their O is not consistent.  The Seahawks blow bloody fucking chunks and will be downstroyed.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Bucs 28, Seahawks 10.

DENVER BRONCOS (-3) at NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.
  Coupla frauds.  Cutler's been less than stellar of late, both teams have shitty D, the Patriots don't have a running game.  I don't know and I don't care.  Rather see the Pats lose.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Broncos 27, Patriots 17.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 12:29 »

Most of those look spot on but I have to point out one thing:  not once this season has a team covered a double digit spread.  Not one single time.  As a result, this is the first week that I've decided to pick with that trend so watch it double eff me.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 09:41 »

TENNESSEE TITANS (-8) at KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.   Trap game for the NFL's last undefeated?  Maybe.  But something tells me that last week's spate of upsets tilted the mood of the football gods, who may just let the better team win.  Might be closer than the spread indicates.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Titans 24, Chiefs 17.

Actual score: Titans 34, Chiefs 10.   Begs the question of how the Chiefs ever beat the Broncos.  My God, they are bad.  Wasn't even as close as the score indicates.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (-1) at BUFFALO BILLS.  Still not sold on that SD defense.  Bills got bushwhacked in the desert and have spent a week licking their wounds.  Chargers take the early trip east to play the 7:00 a.m. game.  Bills seem to have lost some of their early headiness, and need to show more zip.  Balance is great, but you got juice?

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Bills 23, Chargers 21.

Actual score: Bills 23, Chargers 14.   Pretty damned close to how I thought it would go down.  A late pick by the Bills ensured I didn't get it exactly right.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (-10) at CINCINNATI BENGALS.[/b]  Well, speaking of trap games.  Lord, I hate games like this.  Division game.  Injury issues.  Bengals playing better lately.  Steelers looking ahead.  Oh, and then I realize that the Bengals won't have Palmer, have a RB who leads the league in fumbles, and a defense that couldn't stop a zombie from Night of the Living Dead from stumbling through it.  I just don't see us letting the Bengals stay too close.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Steelers 31, Bengals 10.

Actual score: Steelers 38, Bengals 10.  Interesting choice of words in I just don't see us letting the Bengals stay too close.  As in, they'd be close, but then not so.

DALLAS COWBOYS (-7) at ST. LOUIS RAMS.[/b]  Dallas's main problem isn't TO's mouth, or Pacman's misadventures, or Romo's pinkie.  It's a defense that can't shut teams down.  The Rams, on the other hand, just won their Super Bowl and won't be able to play catch up here.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Cowboys 34, Rams 17

Actual score:  Rams 34, Cowboys 14.  Well, sure enough the Cowboys D' is in the weeds, but had this score flipped.  Man, you lose this big against the Rams???  That's what we refer to as "free fall."  Oh, and apparently the Cowboys' vaunted offense is now shit, too.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (+3) at CAROLINA PANTHERS.[/b]  Good news is the Saints have Colston and Shockey coming back.  Bad news is, the offense isn't the problem.  Same old story for the Saints.  Panthers just got clobbered by the Bucs, and will be looking for a little payback in a defense-vs.-offense showcase.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Panthers 24, Saints 20.

Actual score:  Panthers 30, Saints 7.
  Did the Saints even show up?  Knew the Panthers would, figured the Saints' O would keep it closer.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (+11) at N.Y. GIANTS.[/b]  Here's a theme: teams that got upset last week, badly upset, coming back all pissed off and taking shit out on their opponents.  See where I'm going with this?  Niners' OC Martz had some shimmer on the offense early, but O'Sullivan is back to being a pumpkin again. 

Finny's ridiculous prognostification:  Giants 38, Niners 13.

Actual score:  Giants 29, Niners 17.  Yeah, 'bout right.  We're still beating the Giants, though.

N.Y. JETS (-3) at OAKLAND RAIDERS.[/b]  I just traded Coles to Penso for depth at RB, so that should mean Laveraneus hauls in 125 yards plus and three scores.

Finny's ridiculous prognostification: Jets 27, Raiders 20. 

Actual score:  Raiders 16, Jets 13 (OT). I just knew the Jets were bullshit.  Funny that Alchemy predicted that the Raiders' D was borderline playoff-capable, and they shut down Favre in OT.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (+11) at TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS.[/b]  Bucs D is playing pretty well, even if their O is not consistent.  The Seahawks blow bloody fucking chunks and will be downstroyed.

Actual score:  Buccaneers 20, Seahawks 10. Didn't see the second half, but by the way these teams played early the Bucs should have won 38-3.

DENVER BRONCOS (-3) at NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.[/b]  Coupla frauds.  Cutler's been less than stellar of late, both teams have shitty D, the Patriots don't have a running game.  I don't know and I don't care.  Rather see the Pats lose.

[/quote]

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 10:16 »

I ended up ignoring the double-digit spread trend and switched to the teams giving the pts.  It split so my last second panic didn't matter.  Hit on 7/8 of the early games and finished with 7 correct.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:52 »

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (+11) at TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS.[/b]  Bucs D is playing pretty well, even if their O is not consistent.  The Seahawks blow bloody fucking chunks and will be downstroyed.

DENVER BRONCOS (-3) at NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.
  Coupla frauds.  Cutler's been less than stellar of late, both teams have shitty D, the Patriots don't have a running game.  I don't know and I don't care.  Rather see the Pats lose.

Never ceases to amaze me how one shitty week can erase almost 50% of my gains for the year.  Went a putrid 1-4.  Think I fell into the trap of going with too many games again.  Gotta stay away from those that feel like coinflip games.

The G-damn Bucs could've really helped me, but decided to Peter out and kick the FG.  Just knew I was getting setup for a backdoor cover.  One prevent defense drive later made Seneca Wallace look like an actual NFL QB.

*sigh*

Anyway, the Denver/Pastry game was one that I felt very good about going into this week, but I had Denver getting 3, not giving 3.  After the weekend I had, I'm a little gunshy now.  Denver usually kills NE and Shanarat has some obscene record against Bellychimp like 7-2, 9-2, something like that.  All signs point to this being a Denver double digit win which has me thinking...trap game...of course.  In the end though, it's Matt freaking Cassell.  As long as Denver doesn't make the kind of mistakes that killed 'em last week against Jax and they get up by 10+, I just don't see NE being able to rally...even at home, on MNF.  Marshall should have 10+ receptions for 130 and 2 TDs, min.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 15:25 »

I need a few "lock of the week" picks for this coming weekend.  Might put some money on the Steelers and a few others.  If I can lay down a few bucks (about $20 each) on two or three games and double up, I'd be happy.

Any early lock picks?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 16:11 »

We're down to two of us in Last Man Standing. I picked the Steelers this week and the stoner dude I'm going head to head with, picked Memphis. Really. Were they in the USFL? I figured he meant the Titans. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Blue Bombers next week. I mentioned to the guy running the pool that we could maybe split the pot. I think the pot is around $250. Near the end of the game he tells me that he talked to the other guy and he'd need a $100 buy out  Grin

I asked why he would settle for less than half of the prize money. He said he has no answers when it comes to this dude. He said he may need to pay a heating bill or something ASAP.

Strange.

I'll offer him $75 or else I'm just gonna run the table.

*snicker*
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:36 »

*sigh*

Anyway, the Denver/Pastry game was one that I felt very good about going into this week, but I had Denver getting 3, not giving 3.  After the weekend I had, I'm a little gunshy now.  Denver usually kills NE and Shanarat has some obscene record against Bellychimp like 7-2, 9-2, something like that.  All signs point to this being a Denver double digit win which has me thinking...trap game...of course.  In the end though, it's Matt freaking Cassell.  As long as Denver doesn't make the kind of mistakes that killed 'em last week against Jax and they get up by 10+, I just don't see NE being able to rally...even at home, on MNF.  Marshall should have 10+ receptions for 130 and 2 TDs, min.

HAHA!  HAHAHAHA!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh*

Cry

50%.  Gone.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: