Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 23:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Snacks  (Read 1506 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 21:15 »

Gotta admit, the all-black look is really slimming.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 21:23 »

See that, looks like a 4 time pro-bowler to me! ;)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 22:26 »

Sure the big snack is a fatass at the present and FFS when wasnt he a fatass for that matter??????.  i would rather see him gain his conditioning on the practice field rather than tomlin's little limbo he has set up.

we dont need Hamps playing Ketchup!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 23:44 »

And Prisuta took the words right out of my mouth..........

Heavy tactics won't move Hampton
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Two more practices came and went Monday at St. Vincent College, and Casey Hampton continued to go one-on-one with a stationary bicycle.

Since opening training camp on the physically unable to perform list, Hampton has worked with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor rather than his Steelers teammates.

Eight days into the exile, Pastoor was looking svelte.

Hampton was still looking like Hampton.

He has yet to morph into the Incredible Shrinking Nose Tackle.

"He's a big man," defensive end Aaron Smith said. "They could run him for 18 hours a day, and he'd still probably be a pretty big man."

Hampton remains too big in the eyes of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who declared him overweight and out of shape at the outset of camp and still unfit for football yesterday.

"When he's down to an acceptable weight, we'll proceed," Tomlin said.

There's no telling when that might be.

Hampton said yesterday he didn't know if he'd lost a pound so far because he hadn't gotten on a scale.

"I don't really get on the scale," Hampton said. "That's not my thing. I play ball.

"It ain't about weight. I can play heavy. I can play anytime. It doesn't matter to me. I always feel like I can play. It's coach's decision when he wants me back out there."

So there you have it.

Hampton has always been massive, but that hasn't stopped him from becoming a four-time Pro Bowl nose tackle and, more significant, "the heart, the head man of that defense," according to wide receiver Hines Ward.

It also never stopped Hampton from becoming as popular among his teammates as he is revered for his prowess, as much of a leader as he is the focal point of the Steelers' run defense.

"He's a freak of nature," Smith said.

But if Training Camp 2008 is about anything, it's about Tomlin asserting more authority and more control.

After inheriting a team that was just a season removed from winning a Super Bowl, Tomlin wisely stayed the course as a rookie head coach.

The result was a 10-win season and a division championship.

But the Steelers also lost four of their last five games, including a home playoff encounter with Jacksonville, and those memories from Ford Field faded that much further in the process.

The timing, thus, is finally right to remake the Steelers in Tomlin's image.

Subtle changes in the schedule and in the way practices are conducted are examples of that ongoing transformation.

So is Tomlin's handling of Hampton, which hasn't yet caused the still-massive nose tackle to regret his offseason or doubt what he'll contribute beginning Sept. 7.

"I just work here, man," Hampton said. "He's the boss man, so I'm going to do whatever he says, get right and get ready to help my team win."

Now would seem an appropriate time to let Hampton begin doing so in a helmet and pads.

Tomlin's point has been made.

Belaboring it isn't in anyone's best interest, especially the Steelers'.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_581132.html

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 06:56 »

A few years ago, Snacks came up with a Bungle fumble and was rumblin' down the sidelines.  It took Corey Dillon IIRC to snag him from behind.

Snacks has shown he can go sideline to sideline flushing out QBs.

I think those days are behind him.  He now plays in a 10 x 10 box.  That's it.  

If you wanna say he doesn't need to do more than that, fine.  He probably doesn't.

He probably will also be gassed earlier in games, earlier in the season.  He's probably cutting years off his career.

I love the guy, but his conditioning sucks.  I don't remember him penetrating the OL as often as he used to, either, when he'd just overpower centers and bitch-slap QBs.  Think the Tampa Bay "Paper Champions" game.  

Well, football is also about declining fortunes, I guess.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 11:12 »

Time to let Big Snack play with the rest of the kids.
You know P-43, I get what you're sayin', on all fronts.  There needs to be a camp story; Tomlin wants to send a message; vets are treated the same as rooks, etc., BUT as it's been referenced a few times here, Hamp isn't a kid anymore.  Generally speaking, he's a vet on the wrong side of 30 and he has to do more now just to maintain the level that he played at a couple years ago.  That's standard for an aging professional athlete.

So, couple that fact with his size and his career could easily be dramatically cut short.  If he expects to play another 2, 3 or 4 years, he's gotta make changes.  There's just no way he will be able to continue to treat his body like an amusement park ride in the offseason, stroll into camp and uh, hit the ground running.  It's going to ah, weigh on him and cut back on his effectiveness as he ages.

I dunno.  Maybe I expect too much.  I expect him to be more than just a boulder in the middle.  I want him to be able to play more than just between the tackles.

Can he do that?  Not sure it's possible at this point in his career, but his conditioning level certainly isn't going to help.

I'm not asking him to be able to do windsprints or run suicides with the backs, but at least show me that you can make it to the end of the first quarter or shit, even the first defensive series, without having to hit the O2 tank.

Signed,

One of #98's biggest fans
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008 at 11:14 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 11:32 »

Sure the big snack is a fatass at the present and FFS when wasnt he a fatass for that matter??????.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2008 at 11:36 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:55 »

Good read on Big Snack today in the Trib....

Hampton's performance worth the weight
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 8, 2008

Donning a throwback Micheal Ray Richardson New York Knicks jersey and designer sunglasses, Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton was the personification of cool confidence in the winning locker room Sunday.

Sure enough, Hampton delivered as promised.

"Like I said, it ain't about the preseason. It's about the regular season," Hampton said in the aftermath of the Steelers' crunching 38-17 win over the Houston Texans at Heinz Field. "My whole goal was to be ready for (the opener). I was ready."

It's really that elementary when it comes to Hampton, the hub in the middle of the defensive line since breaking into the starting lineup for the final 13 games of his rookie season seven years ago.

When the whistle blows for real, just point him toward the trenches and watch him go.

Recalling the punishment doled out by coach Mike Tomlin at the start of training camp that relegated him to the physically unable to perform list for what Tomlin called a lack of conditioning, Hampton shrugged his shoulders and basically said, I told you so.

"My play has always spoken for itself. I always did my thing on the field. It hasn't been questioned in the past. I don't see why it would start now," said Hampton, who received hearty words of congratulations from Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert for his outstanding performance.

Throughout his comeuppance that included missing the first two weeks of camp and the first preseason game, Hampton stubbornly set his jaw and never wavered from a firm belief in his ability to control the line of scrimmage regardless of his waist size.

Against Houston, Hampton thwarted the Texans' futile attempts to sometimes block him with a single lineman. Hampton's refusal to be stopped opened the floodgates for the rest of the defense to crush the Texans at the point of attack.

"Hamp's the type of guy, it doesn't matter what kind of shape he's in, he's going to come out and play. You can't block him with a single guy," defensive end Aaron Smith said. "I think they tried a little bit to leave one guy on him and figured they could just isolate him and keep him moving so he wouldn't make the plays. If you don't put two guys on Hamp, he's going to disrupt your total offense."

"They're a zone (blocking) team that tries to finesse you," Hampton said. "Our defensive line plays good against those types of teams because we play so physical. They tried to get me running, cut back off me. Our linebackers and defensive ends did a good job scraping down and making plays."

Early in the game, on a play that may or may not have given Houston some much-needed early momentum, Texans coach Gary Kubiak called a quarterback sneak on fourth-and-1 from the Steelers' 48.

Matt Schaub learned forward, stuck his helmet in the middle of the line and disappeared. When the pile cleared, the ball was short of the first-down marker and Hampton and defensive end Brett Keisel were credited with the tackle.

The Steelers took over at the 10:32 mark with great field position and drove 52 yards in eight plays. Willie Parker's 7-yard touchdown jaunt made it 7-0, and that was that.

"As a D-line, we did a pretty good job of blowing the play up. We got penetration," said Hampton, who probably had as good of view of anyone of the failed quarterback sneak.

"They tried to lull us to sleep, make us think they weren't going to snap the ball. We just stood them up."

Again and again, as it turned out.

Houston was held to 234 total yards. The Texans scored two late touchdowns after the Steelers built a 35-3 lead.

"It's all about us. When we go out and (play) the way we're capable of (playing), we pretty much can shut anybody down," Hampton said. "That's the way we feel about it."

Hampton made it perfectly clear how he feels about his own situation.

"Everything else is just to get you ready for the regular season," Hampton said. "This is all that matters."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_587063.html

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 12:34 »

Man, there was one running play where #98 just destroyed their center, blew him back about 3 yards right into the ball carrier.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 17:26 »

I was just about to bring that up. a 10x10 box huh?

Casey looked like a monster yesterday, he blew that center 3 yards back but 7 yards to the sideline too, and single handily destroyed that play

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: