Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 00:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O-Line  (Read 897 times)
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 07, 2008 at 16:05 »

what about when we play a 'real' team? (Balt. or Jax)

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 18:02 »

Supposedly, the Texans have a pretty good DL.

I noticed a definitive effort to use quick passing, especially early, which was certainly lacking last year. Hope that is the recipe to keep Ben off his ass against better defensive teams.

I hope the OL plays like this all year.  I'm currently watching the Cowgirls take it to the Stains, and, I'm unimpressed with the revamped Stain D.  And thrilled that they traded away youth to get there!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 21:12 »

your crazy man, the Texans D line is far from bad.
Our pass blocking minus that 2 drive lapse, looked phenomenal, ben didnt have to step up into people, there was a nice pocket for him. when he did scramble once outside, no one was around him.
Our run blocking was ok in my mind, oh running backs did a superb job of making great cuts and making something outta nothing.

BUT>...

DID ANYONE SEE HOW EFFECTIVE WILLIE IS USING THAT SPIN MOVE!! i counted 6 times in the first half were he just spun off a tackler. looks like the rookie taught the vet a little something.

and also, our kick coverage was amazing! this is what made me the happiest. finally, we stayed in our lanes.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008 at 21:15 by OhioU_Stlrs_Fan » Logged

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 21:16 »

Yea the Texan D-line was the only favorable unit on the field this afternoon.  they are definitley not any slouches thats for sure.  i thought our O-line bull rushed them pretty good through out.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 22:00 »

Run blocking-wise, Marvel Smith looked like a completely new man compared to last year, let's hope it was just the back keeping him from playing well last year.  Pass-blocking wasn't great from him, but he had a tough match-up in Mario, so we can let that slide momentarily.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 06:22 »

I'm not so convinced by the OL play.  There was the botched snap, of course, and it looked to me like it was more a case of clever play calling and extra effort by the backs than good push by the line.  Seemed like we are back in the mold of 2 yard gain, 2 yard gain, 15 yard gain familiar from the running game from years past.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 07:57 »

I think there are some improvements.  Getting 8-yard chunks -- at will -- in the 2H, run after run after run... Well, not exactly a mystery what thext playcall is, try and stop us.  IMO, Hartwig and Kemo are a big plus there.  Plus, FWP is running like a man possessed.

On pass pro, we're going to have issues that we knew about all preseason and which IMO won't go away any time soon: unable to handle the speed off the edge, Simmons losing contain at times.  But when you win like we did Sunday, it hardly seems relevant.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:36 »

DID ANYONE SEE HOW EFFECTIVE WILLIE IS USING THAT SPIN MOVE!! i counted 6 times in the first half were he just spun off a tackler. looks like the rookie taught the vet a little something.

"Our defense is always telling me I got no moves," Parker said. "The defense told me they don't like backs who are spinning all the time, so I decided I'd put that in my repertoire."
per PPG

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:41 »

"Our defense is always telling me I got no moves," Parker said. "The defense told me they don't like backs who are spinning all the time, so I decided I'd put that in my repertoire."
per PPG
Maybe he took spin classes...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: