Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 30, 2014 at 15:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 shakes out pretty well  (Read 1090 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 07, 2008 at 19:20 »

Brady is down.

Bengals are awful.

Ravens won but aren't much better.  

Browns got mauled.  

Jags get beaten by Titans (with whom I am not impressed)

We looked great.

All in all, not a bad opening weekend.  Don't know how it will all look by week 17, but we can feel pretty good for now.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 19:37 »

Throw in the fact that "the most talented team in football" for about 3 years running (and what, 1 playoff win to go along with it??), San Diego, choked and let Carolina win on the last play in the game and things really shaped up well for Pittsburgh today.  It's early obviously, but given the way this schedule looks later on (minus that Pats game, bwahaha!!) we could use all the help we can get.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 19:39 »

PRETTY well?  Are you HIGH???

I was about to post this very thread and give thanks to God almighty for a GLORIOUS first weekend of NFL football...

*First, the Steelers won handily, despite a couple of hiccoughs.  Shoulda been 38-3, like the Iggles, but the Texans -- healthy, a "sleeper" team, a team that stood tall in the mighty AFCS despite injuries last year -- looked like wet fucking cardboard most of the day.  Nothing doing.  What now, Genius Gary Kubiak, WHAT NOW?  Well, hopefully a nice rebound versus the Ratties, but Schaub looked like shit, the D aside from Mario looked like shit, the whole team couldn't find any rhythm.  Because the Steelers dominated your asses, beeeyotch.

*In the shitfest, the Ravens with a newb QB and HC, wiped the field with Carson "I can't even break 100 yards or get a TD because I'm a pile of over-rated SUCK ASS" Palmer.  3-13?  Yeah, I said it, and I'm sticking the fuck to it.

*Ravens weren't particularly pretty, though, and won't be beraking .500.

*The Browns looked every bit as impressive as they did in the preseason, which is to say, they were raped, like the Texans or the Rams.  Embarassed.  Soon to be 0-2.  Upstart winners of the AFCN?  My goddamned hairy arse, you pathetic freaks.  There's ONE team in the AFCN, and you'll soon lose to them.

*BRADY.  GOES.  DOWN.  I had this weird feeling Brady would finally meet karma this year, and blessed be Allah/Jehovah/God, it is done.  He is done.  They are done.  They beat the hapless Chiefs 17-10?  Good for them.  Savor that win.  Third place in the AFCE, IMO.

*Jags go down.  We match up much better versus the Titans.  God bless the Titans.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend.  Screw the Jags.  

*Other mighty schedule foes?  How about the Bolts, who took a page out of the somnabulistic Pitt Panthers and woke up late... Only to have the game taken away on a BEEEYOUTIFUL 0:02 endzone strike on a bobbled snap that... well, it just was kismet.  Bolts?  Overrated chumps.

*I can only hope the Colts sink.

*Giants won but did not look at all dominant, in leftover news.

*Eagles handled the Rams, but so could my grandma and a band of pissy octogenerians.

*The Whining Seabags got handled.  Mauled.  Embarassed.  Yeah, injuries, whine me a river, Walrus.  Everyone thought you'd win this game but me, and I NEVER imagined this.

*Fast.  Willie. Parker.  Game ball.

*El.  Freakin.  Wood.  Game ball.

*Parker looked like a man on fire.  3 TDs.  Power.  Speed.  Vision.  The rookie can learn much.

*Woodley was as good as advertised.  2 sacks, a one-handed INT.  A fumble recovery.  This guy is Steeler football.

*Special teams did not suck.  They were actually OK, or better than OK.  

OK, not to get too excited, but the tea leaves in week 1 bode well.  Suddenly, the AFC is wiiiiiiiide fucking open.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 20:58 »

*First, the Steelers won handily, despite a couple of hiccoughs.  Shoulda been 38-3, like the Iggles, but the Texans -- healthy, a "sleeper" team, a team that stood tall in the mighty AFCS despite injuries last year -- looked like wet fucking cardboard most of the day.  Nothing doing.  What now, Genius Gary Kubiak, WHAT NOW?  Well, hopefully a nice rebound versus the Ratties, but Schaub looked like shit, the D aside from Mario looked like shit, the whole team couldn't find any rhythm.  Because the Steelers dominated your asses, beeeyotch.

I really didnt know what all the love fest was for in the pregame shows was regarding the powerhouse Houston Texans???  i think 3 out of 5 talking heads from fox picked them as the "upset" special for the week.

Im thinking ok, what do they know that I dont?  well the answer is absoultefuckingnothin g!!!!!!  I usually could care less what some media douche says who is going to win and why, but when they have an 8-8 team coming into our house and upsetting the mighty Steelers just because we lost Alan Faneca, well fuck them and their upset special.

It was an upset special all right, I was bored to sickness watching the texans simply roll over at the beginning of the 2nd half when Willie pushed the texan's shit way in without remorse.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 21:57 »

*I can only hope the Colts sink.
Looks like your wish is about to be granted, Finny.  22-13 Bears with 11:30 left in the 4th.

[knock on wood/]
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2008 at 21:58 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2008 at 23:57 »

Very good start indeed. The Stains looked totally hapless and bewildered. Cincy has the controls set for the heart of sun. Raturds looked like the same inept offensive team. Colts shat the bed. Jax lost to a lackluster Titans squad. Norv managed to lose with a loaded team...again...... and the Cheatriots starting QB goes down for the season.

It could all turn to shit next week, but we have at least 6 days to savor the days events.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 06:02 »

I'll third the topic.  When your backup QB sees the field in week 1, that means you either had a great opener, or a nightmare.  Not hard to figure out what we had, and what New England had.

Although, I do kinda wish it was Belichick who got rolled up on.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 08:18 »

*First, the Steelers won handily, despite a couple of hiccoughs.  Shoulda been 38-3, like the Iggles, but the Texans -- healthy, a "sleeper" team, a team that stood tall in the mighty AFCS despite injuries last year -- looked like wet fucking cardboard most of the day.  Nothing doing.  What now, Genius Gary Kubiak, WHAT NOW?  Well, hopefully a nice rebound versus the Ratties, but Schaub looked like shit, the D aside from Mario looked like shit, the whole team couldn't find any rhythm.  Because the Steelers dominated your asses, beeeyotch.

I really didnt know what all the love fest was for in the pregame shows was regarding the powerhouse Houston Texans???  i think 3 out of 5 talking heads from fox picked them as the "upset" special for the week.

Im thinking ok, what do they know that I dont?  well the answer is absoultefuckingnothin g!!!!!!  I usually could care less what some media douche says who is going to win and why, but when they have an 8-8 team coming into our house and upsetting the mighty Steelers just because we lost Alan Faneca, well fuck them and their upset special.

It was an upset special all right, I was bored to sickness watching the texans simply roll over at the beginning of the 2nd half when Willie pushed the texan's shit way in without remorse.
Well, Houston played their division rivals pretty close last year, and the year before.  With Schaub and AJ healthy, they were getting some looks as an upstart team.  

Of course, with them flapping around like a freshly-noodled catfish, and Jax flopping, and Indy about as good as Manning's gangrenous knee, that whole division could be the one that is sinking most this year.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 10:09 »

Looks like the Colts are not who we thought they were, at least not for this week.  

I didn't even know about the Chargers' game when I posted.  This is un-freakin-believable.  With our schedule, we need some teams to blow some games and it sure did happen yesterday.  How in the world did the Bears manage to beat the Colts???  And the Jags lost to the lethal combo of Vince Young/Kerry Collins.

Again, it's way too early to get overhyped...but at the least, it looks like some things are lining up to give us a real shot this year.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2008 at 11:17 »

This happens a lot of years...bad teams shoot their wad the first game of the year, then everything normalizes.  Some of these teams will bounce back and start cruising.

I'm just glad we weren't one of the favorites that screwed the pooch against a week 1 dog.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: