Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 21, 2014 at 13:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 02 - Sept. 14 @ Cleveland  (Read 6017 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:43 »

Can someone explain to me how Lard Ass Shaun Rogers can take two steps and plant the crown of his helmet right into Ben's shoulder and not get a roughing the passer penalty? Unreal.

Great win though. Just hope Ben is ok.
I wasn't happy with that non-call either, it doesn't get much more blatant than that.  I was also bothered by the fact that Marvel Smith and a couple other O-lineman in the area didn't react, either by pointing it out to the officials, or putting Rogers on his ass for the cheap shot.  They just kinda seemed to shrug it off and help Ben to his feet, bunch of pussies.

The hit was late in the game, Merman, I want to say it was 3Q?  And Ben threw fine afterwards.  He looked like he got dinged up a few times, but hopefully nothing major.

That pissed me off as well.  Ben releases, Rogers takes TWO steps, then lowers the shoulder for the solar plexus.  Total bullshit that it wasn't called, especially since Woodley was called for a fair hit.

Marvel should have ripped Fatass Roger's nuts off.  He stands there like a goddamned milktoast.  I didn't even see him help Ben up, looked like he STEPPED OVER him, like Ben was fucking roadkill.  Do your job, Marvel, be an enforcer.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:45 »

My power was out around 5 minutes into the game. Needless to say I listened to the whole game on the radio side.

Question for people who saw the game on TV: They didn't mention the late hit by Rogers on the radio (maybe they did and I just didn't catch it). When did this happen? Did Ben throw any passes afterwards?

Just trying to get a feel of how he looked with the shoulder injury before or after the hit. The post gazette didn't mention any injury other than Keisel's.
I believe it was the third down on the drive before the Clowns drove down for the field goal to make it 10-6. He walked off the field favoring his right shoulder. It was a complete cheap shot that was missed. Rogers took at least a step and a half and probably two steps after Ben threw the pass, put his head down so the crown of his helmet would hit Ben, and nailed him in the right shoulder.

Ben did throw the pass to Heath in the next drive, but the way he wasn't talking about it after the game, gave me the indication it was bothering him.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:53 »

I can see why you don't wanna risk a FG getting blocked on that 4th down at the end (would have been a moot point had FWP gone down in bounds on that last long run), but WTF was up with the playcall?  Does Arians not realize that even if you run it on 4th down, if you don't get the first down the clock stops?  You gotta call pass there, and if it's not there, have Ben throw it out of bounds.

IMO, the playcalling was a little suspect/predictable throughout the second half.  A couple times, I predicted the exact play that was coming.  One was a draw to Willie when they lined up in a shotgun formation.  Can't remember the other one though.  Point is, I shouldn't be able to guess as many plays as I did.

As to that 4th down call, I agree they should've tried to pass it, but they probably wanted to avoid the whole pick 6 scenario.  Still, they could've gone with a high percentage type pass (Heat?) or at the very least, toss it up for grabs in the EZ.

Overall, it really was a game that Pittsburgh did their best to lose, but they came away with a win.  You don't want to have to rely on a lot of things going your way to get the win.    

Like others have mentioned, I think a lot of the output (or lack thereof) was really a result of the conditions.  Bad weather is the mortal enemy of a good pass rush.  Good to see guys like Polamalu and especially Clark making plays in the secondary again.  Clark is always in the right place at the right time and he's not afraid to lay the wood, eh Braylon?  Polamalu also looks like he's back to form as well.

Going into Week 3, I think the most important thing this team needs to do is just get healthy.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:56 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:04 »

I agree that the conditions hurt the pass rush (Keisel and Robaire Smith both had ankle/calf issues with that slop), but we were also probably dropping 6 DBs so often to blanket the zones.  DA is a guy, as Madden pointed out, whose best throws are deep, and some medium routes.  You can rattle him with too much junk in his shooting gallery, as was evident with the picks.  

I want to say that Ike was giving too much, IMO, and McFad seemed to be giving a cushion but watching for tendencies better, so the receivers might get some on him, but he'd come back with a nice PD, or be in position to possibly make a pick in better conditions.  I thought he showed some good stuff.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #44 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:04 »

My power was out around 5 minutes into the game. Needless to say I listened to the whole game on the radio side.

Question for people who saw the game on TV: They didn't mention the late hit by Rogers on the radio (maybe they did and I just didn't catch it). When did this happen? Did Ben throw any passes afterwards?

Just trying to get a feel of how he looked with the shoulder injury before or after the hit. The post gazette didn't mention any injury other than Keisel's.
I believe it was the third down on the drive before the Clowns drove down for the field goal to make it 10-6. He walked off the field favoring his right shoulder. It was a complete cheap shot that was missed. Rogers took at least a step and a half and probably two steps after Ben threw the pass, put his head down so the crown of his helmet would hit Ben, and nailed him in the right shoulder.

Ben did throw the pass to Heath in the next drive, but the way he wasn't talking about it after the game, gave me the indication it was bothering him.
Thanks vinman.  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:07 »

I guess we'll get another league apology for the Rogers hit. "Dear Steelers, sorry we blew another one."

I also thought McFadden played well, although I couldn't understand the 12 yard cushion.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:14 »

I guess we'll get another league apology for the Rogers hit. "Dear Steelers, sorry we blew another one."

Nah.  They're too busy having to issue them to the Bolts to bother with Pittsburgh's.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:30 »

Nah.  They're too busy having to issue them to the Bolts to bother with Pittsburgh's.
I was at the bar and couldn't hear the refs on that one.  What was the on-field explanation they gave?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:38 »

Was watching that game and boy did Ed blow that one. Hockely said he should have ruled it a fumble, but he blew his whistle which makes the play dead. The Broncos then, by rule, get the ball where the fumble hit the ground. The Bolts got seriously jobbed there. The absolutely should have won, because Cutler definately fumbled and they recovered.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 11:27 »

Was watching that game and boy did Ed blow that one. Hockely said he should have ruled it a fumble, but he blew his whistle which makes the play dead. The Broncos then, by rule, get the ball where the fumble hit the ground. The Bolts got seriously jobbed there. The absolutely should have won, because Cutler definately fumbled and they recovered.
Yeah, but then I wouldn't have gotten 42 points for Cutler in FF.

Plus it puts the Colts in an 0-2 hole, which is always good.

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: