Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 12:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 03 - Sept. 21 @ Philadelphia  (Read 5640 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 08, 2008 at 14:58 »

oo)  
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 11:24 by Robotman » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 11:49 »

Hell of a test for the team this week.  I doubt Philly will run over the Steelers D like they did Rams and Cowboys.... but our secondary better bring their "A" game.

I think coming out of Philly with a win would be a huge win; and may even help, this early in the season, our chances of making the playoffs and getting a bye.

I'm also curious to see if our O-line can keep Ben alive against a good D front.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:03 »

Gonna be tough.  Remember the 15-1 team, pulling down the undefeated Iggles and Pats?  Love to repeat that formula.

If we can keep Westbrook contained and get some pass pressure on McNabb, I think we can keep them under 20.  And their D gave up a lot of big plays.  I think Ben takes some shots downfield with Santonio, and if we get FWP on track, we roll.

Very early prediction, I'll go 20-17 Steelers, but could change my mind.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 12:10 »

You'd think it would be a pretty tough game for the Steelers. If Philly is indeed an elite team, you don't often see them drop two in a row.

Should be fun to watch.

And if you have to lose a game...lose to the NFC. Except when playing for The Belt.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 10:09 »

Gonna be tough.  Remember the 15-1 team, pulling down the undefeated Iggles and Pats?  Love to repeat that formula.

If we can keep Westbrook contained and get some pass pressure on McNabb, I think we can keep them under 20.  And their D gave up a lot of big plays.  I think Ben takes some shots downfield with Santonio, and if we get FWP on track, we roll.

Very early prediction, I'll go 20-17 Steelers, but could change my mind.
My thoughts exactly.

I have to admit being a touch worried, just cause that's my nature, but overall, I think this is a very winnable game.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2008 at 10:53 »

Hell of a test for the team this week. I doubt Philly will run over the Steelers D like they did Rams and Cowboys.... but our secondary better bring their "A" game.

I don't see that we'll be able to keep them from scoring when they have the ball.

Key to me is TOP.  They can't score if they don't have it.

Run the ball, controlled passing, kill the clock, and capitalize on scoring opportunities.  It's the old school, tried-and-true Steeler recipe for success.

When we beat them in '04, I think we held the ball for 41 minutes.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 00:17 »

Im of the opinion that Westbrook will be his normal westbrook self and get his 150 APY no matter what.  think it would be foolish to spy him with a troy.  and the only LB possibly up to the task speed wise is Timmons.  he is just that good.

so that leaves getting into the grill of McNabb on every down force him outside the pocket.  he turns into utter horse crap while attempting to throw on the run away from his comfort zone.

i think a nice equal mix of RM and FWP is in order, BUT if its close such as the stains game, you can almost rule out a RM sighting.  open up the run with the pass.  wouldnt be at all surprised to see a PA bomb from the start.

gonna go out on a limb here and predict 2 TDs from our very own Ocho Cinco, Nate "the animal" Washington.  with FWP tallying one more score on the year.  quadzilla rounds out the scoring with 3 FGs giving us 30 on the day.

hold the eaglettes to under 30 and we are 3 and oh!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2008 at 11:43 »

Well, this game will be a good benchmark for the OL. You know the Eagles will be blitzing like crazy on every down and situation. BA is going to have to call a good game, which scares me a little. Quick passes, with draws and screens to FWP can beat their blitz. Although its been a while since I have seen a good looking screen from the O. Hopefully the OL and the TE's can handle the pressure.

On D, I agree with Jack that they got to make McNabb move around. He's not the same guy he was 3-4 years ago. Westbrook is a great player and will get his, but without McNabb on his game, the Eagles O becomes average.

Stillers 24 Iggles 20
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2008 at 14:06 »

We had big time issues on the road last year.  If you recall, it started with Arizona, then Denver, continuing onto New York and New England and Baltimore.  We blew nuts on the road in 06' too.  3 out of four of those should have been automatic.

It's funny how the teams are pretty much the same as the road warriors of 05'.

This game will show us exactly what kind of team we'll have this year.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2008 at 14:07 by DCSteelers » Logged
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2008 at 14:28 »

First loss of the year Eagles 27 Steelers 24.  Ben 1td to Miller and Paker 97 yds and 1td Medenhall gets his first td.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2008 at 14:31 »

First loss of the year Eagles 27 Steelers 24.  Ben 1td to Miller and Paker 97 yds and 1td Medenhall gets his first td.
I should have just looked on ESPN :)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 08:01 »

I know we're 2-0 and the Browns and Bungles are 0-2, but if the Ravens win and we lose, we're actually behind them in the division.  We can't have that.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:11 »

Ughh..The OL is fucking sieve. What game is BA watching? The Eagles D is blitzing the fuck out of the O, and he is still calling plays that take time to develope. The D is sucking it up pretty good too. This could be ugly(as if it isn't already) if the Steelers don't watch the fuck out.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:11 »

This is getting ugly fast.  McNabb is 15/15 145 TD and threatening another one.

Sheesh.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:14 »

Where the fuck are the quick 3 step drops? You know, the kind that we should have KNOWN we would need against a blitz happy Iggles team.

Bruce Arians should be flayed if he thought Ben would get away with sitting back there all day.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:30 »

This is a disgrace. 5 sacks in 6 dropbacks and now an INT. Plus a fumble. I'm sorry, BA is fucking idiot. Always has been, and always will be. He is definately no OC. No screens? How bout a draw? No? Nothing? Just more 7 step dropbacks and 15 yard patterns with 7 or 8 guys blitzing. And Ben does need to learn to throw it away.

At least that was a great move by Timmons and a nice pick. Come on Steelers! Get it together and get some points off this.... come on BA, get yer head out of your rectum, and call some freakin plays.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:36 »

The OL is completely falling to pieces. The Franchise is taking a beating out there. No rollouts? Simmons should be benched ASAP. Surely Starks can play better.  
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:43 »

Well, Jeff Reed is the MVP so far.

Wow. 6 sacks, 1 fumble, and an INT. In ONE half. Fugly...killed in TOP. No touches for #39.

Its amazing that its only 10-6. Hopefully they can regroup in the locker room. The D is going to have to take the ball away probably a couple more times. They have got to find some way, any way, to protect Ben.

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 16:46 »

Holy fucking shit.  My parents, wife, brother, wife and I could probably protect Ben better than these assholes.  Ben barely has any time to even just throw the ball away, there are guys in his face as soon as he has the snap in his heads.  What the motherfuck!?!

Nice FG by Reed, and the defense looked pretty good despite all the McNabb completions.

If this offense doesn't look any different coming out after the half there is absolutely no hope for Arians as OC.  Let's try and get Ben out of this game on his feet and not in a fucking wheelchair, shall we?

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 17:04 »

That's an amazing play by Polamalu.  Holy shit.

If we can't get this done against a Westbrook and McNabb-less Iggles, well that's just sad.

LET'S FUCKING GO!

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 17:24 »

Is it the OL, the playcalling ... both?  This is shit.  Ben has ZERO time, rushers are coming in untouched.  WTF was that screen call on 3rd down?  Is BA counting on 3 seconds to let that develop!?  You gotta be shitting me.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 17:45 »

The O is looking about as bad as it gets. Don't know how much longer the D can hold out. At least its a NFC team.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 17:58 »

They need a big punt return to get some fire for the offense.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 18:10 »

Marvel Smith - Go fuck yourself
Chris Kemoeatu - Go fuck yourself
Justin Hartwig - Go fuck yourself
Kendall Simmons - Go fuck yourself
Willie Colon - Go Fuck yourself

And last, but certainly not least Bruce Arians - GO FUCK YOURSELF.

That was one of the most pitiful offensive performances I have ever seen, and to top it off, Ben might be hurt (let's hope it's precautionary).

Fucking bullshit.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 18:17 »

Absolutely pathetic. I love BR and all, and he is awesome, but he holds the ball too fucking long. BA is a joke.

The D played well, but when the O sucks that bad, what can you do?

That was really bad. How can people not lose their starting job over this? Why is Starks making fucking 7 million dollars this year to ride the bench, who there is a pile of SUCK starting? Hartwig got beat. Colon was thrashed. Simmons was blown away. Kemo got a bunch of false starts. Smith was schooled. Now Ben is in the locker room. Hope he is OK.....and a final 'eff you to BA. I said it last year, I said it this summer, and I'm saying it now. BA is no OC, and is putting Ben in constant danger. We are going to have to deal with him for the rest of the year, so get used to it. Back to earth for everybody I guess. The schedule seems tough right now.

Need a miracle to pull it out now.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 18:22 »

No FG there? That is just stupid. You needed 2 scores there. Was that RAC on the sidelines?

9 sacks. Wow.

Balty now leads the division. Next week is HUGE.  
jburghfan

« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 19:50 »

My parents, wife, brother, wife and I could probably protect Ben better than these assholes.

Polygamist.......
The Emperor

« Reply #27 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 19:53 »

OMG HELP!

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 21:39 »

My parents, wife, brother, wife and I could probably protect Ben better than these assholes.

Polygamist.......
dont you mean masochist??  if i had 2 of em, i would only be asking for trouble

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 08:21 »

Not much to say about this one.  Fugly.

At least we got a couple picks.  And at least we scored as many against the Iggles as the Might St. Lou Rams.

Just one question: what the fuck are we waiting for with the no huddle?  An appearance by the Pope?  Perfect syzygy of the planets?  Flying monkeys bearing ciphers on scrolls?  Animated assbeards doing the riverdance?  

You're the offensive coordinator.  The very notion of having quick-release pass plays or quickly-developing run plays is anathema to you.  You cannot understand how to utilize Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, or Rashard Mendenhall as receivers to neutralize the blitz.  You still believe our lead-footed O-linemen can seal the edge versus anything faster than a dying seal.  You are unable to comprehend why the offense is not working.  And yet, the very mode that would not allow a blitzing D to set up and tee off -- the no huddle -- never fucking occurs to you.

How the fuck does that happen.  How the fuck do you see your QB get sacked 6 motherfucking times in the first quarter, and make ZERO halftime adjustments.  ZERO adjustments on the fly.  

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 08:53 »

I say we turn Arians in to H o m e l a n d Security.  There has to be some charge they can file.  He looks pretty damn suspicious to me.  Is impersonating an OC a federal offense?

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 08:54 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 09:05 »

And for the record - has Phil Simms broadcast enough NFL games yet?  I'm thinking he has.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:15 »

Ughh..The OL is fucking sieve. What game is BA watching? The Eagles D is blitzing the fuck out of the O, and he is still calling plays that take time to develope. The D is sucking it up pretty good too. This could be ugly(as if it isn't already) if the Steelers don't watch the fuck out.

I dunno, man.  All he had to do is read your earlier post.

Well, this game will be a good benchmark for the OL. You know the Eagles will be blitzing like crazy on every down and situation. BA is going to have to call a good game, which scares me a little. Quick passes, with draws and screens to FWP can beat their blitz. Although its been a while since I have seen a good looking screen from the O. Hopefully the OL and the TE's can handle the pressure.

If I never see another WR screen, it'll be too soon.

Also, for additional complaints, see response in "the O-line is garbage" thread.

Painful to watch.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:16 by aj_law » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:29 »

Marvel Smith - Go fuck yourself
Chris Kemoeatu - Go fuck yourself
Justin Hartwig - Go fuck yourself
Kendall Simmons - Go fuck yourself
Willie Colon - Go Fuck yourself

And last, but certainly not least Bruce Arians - GO FUCK YOURSELF.

That was one of the most pitiful offensive performances I have ever seen, and to top it off, Ben might be hurt (let's hope it's precautionary).

Fucking bullshit.
I lol'ed.

By the time the second half rolled around, I had lost it.  Kids are looking at me funny.  The dogs are hiding.  I'm bustin' out with "C'MON, WHERE'S THE QB SWEEP ARIANS??!!  LET'S SEE IT!!  GAME ON THE LINE!!  THEY WON'T BE EXPECTING IT!!!!!111111111"

About the only time there was anything to cheer about was when the defense was on the field.  That game would've been over by halftime if it was the Dallas squad.  They did a great job keeping it close.  For whatever reason, my son was walking around the house the rest of the afternoon going "yeah baby, that's how you do it!!"  (following a big defensive stop, obv)

It should also be noted that I did not wear my usual #86 jersey as I had come in late from painting the garage door trim.  "So, I take full responsibility for this "L" as I didn't get the job done.  The guys tried to pick me up, but I let them down.  I didn't come prepared to play today and it showed.  Time to get back to work this week and get ready for Baltimore.  They've got a solid squad over there."
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:32 by aj_law » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:31 »

You still believe our lead-footed O-linemen can seal the edge versus anything faster than a dying seal.
LSHTPICOMN!!!

Seriously, you think he'd see Philly just dumping off, dumping off, dumping off and a little light would go off and he'd say, "you know..."

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 11:56 »

A couple of notes from the game:
  • Forgot exactly when I noticed it, but after one reception, Hines got up and wasn't smiling.  He looked pissed.  About as ominous a sign a Steeler fan can see.
  • Defensively, that group played really well.  Kirschke was tested and he passed.  Timmons looked very good in spot duty.  Foote was all over the place.  Farrior quietly led the team in tackles.  McFadden has been pretty solid.  2 pickles in as many weeks playing, IIRC.  Collectively, Woodley and Harrison were pretty quiet, but LaMarr had a couple solid showings.  If Polamalu can just stay healthy...  
  • Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but Jeff Reed is approaching Vinatieri automatic.
  • Miller.  Miller.  Miller.  Miller.  Use him!!
  • RM looked OK out there the few times he touched it.  Again, use him!!
  • The knee was down.
  • Is there a 9pt play out there I'm not aware of?
  • I miss Charlie.
  • This question was answered by someone, but I forgot.  What's KVO doing these days?
  • Second week in a row they played ugly.  You might be able to beat a bad/average team playing like that, but not a good one.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:07 by aj_law » Logged

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:40 »

[*] Forgot exactly when I noticed it, but after one reception, Hines got up and wasn't smiling.  He looked pissed.  About as ominous a sign a Steeler fan can see.

Oddly enough, that was one of the few observations my wife made during the game.  

Also, I think Ben should contact a lawyer, because I'm pretty sure he he has a pretty solid case against Arians in a personal injury lawsuit.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:52 »

Foote was all over the place.  Unfortunately, a good bit of the time it was the wrong place, or the place the runner was a fraction of a second earlier.  He was good on the blitz, but I was screaming for Timmons to counter speed with speed.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 13:22 »

Timmons, Harrison, and Foote were having problems with Buckhalter's speed the whole game. Harrison got just plain outrun and took a bad angle on the TD. There were a couple times that Buckhalter got the ball in the flat and a LB was there but either overran the play or tried arm tackling on the cutback.

Overall the D played very well. Its great to have Troy fully healthy and playing well. And what a difference between A. Smith and Clark. McFadden stepped up. I wonder if he gets a new contract. Gay seemed to be out there and not looking Colcoulgh(sorry, already forgot the spelling) Clueless.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 13:29 »

McFadden's been very good, IMO.  As good or better than Ike in coverage, and much better in terms of making plays on the ball.  Sign him back NOW.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 13:56 »

McFadden's been very good, IMO.  As good or better than Ike in coverage, and much better in terms of making plays on the ball.  Sign him back NOW.
I agree. He has finally stepped up, and I think it will be difficult for Townsend to be a starter when he is healthy again.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 14:18 »

Foote was all over the place.  Unfortunately, a good bit of the time it was the wrong place, or the place the runner was a fraction of a second earlier.  He was good on the blitz, but I was screaming for Timmons to counter speed with speed.
I dunno.  Led the team in sacks and IIRC, woulda had another one if it wasn't negated by a defensive penalty.

Really, as one of the announcers put it, they've got 5 LBs for 4 spots because IMO, they're all playing very well and it would be a tough choice to sit any of them.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the front three than anything else.  Hopefully Hoke's '08 campaign mirrors what he did in '06 when he filled in for BS.

Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:21 »

One of the issues I had with yesterday's game, and correct me if I am wrong.  Them making every facemask a 15 yard penalty was the worst thing they could do.  On one of the many sacks Ben took, the defense was offsides, and when he got sacked, the def player got a lot of Ben's facemask and ripped his head like 180 degrees.  I seriously thought it looked quite intentional.  With the way the rule got changed, once your fingers are in the facemask, they is no reason to let it go, might as well give it a good yank as you are only going to get penalized 15 yards no matter what.  Also, correct me if I am wrong, but with 2 penalties on that play (offsides by the D, and the personal foul for the facemask), the announcers said that the def. STILL got credited with the sack.  
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:25 »

I was saying the same thing about the new automatic 15 yarder for facemasks.
Once a defender has the mask, he might as well twist off the other player's head...there is no going back.

Really bad rule change.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: