Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 01:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 04 - Sept. 29 vs. Baltimore  (Read 7979 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #100 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 10:07 »

Okay, no more watching games for me.  I'm gonna be doin' work every week come game time.  Whatever it takes!!!  

(BTW, the wife said, "That was great...maybe we should do that more than once a month?"  Yeah, I guess you could say that it's been pretty insane at our house lately)

So, Simmons is out for the year.  IMO, he is done in Pgh as anything but a backup.  Third major health issue in six years?  The guy is not good and he can't stay healthy.

Sounds like Stapleton is okay, but I still agree that we should TRY Starks at RT and Colon at RG.

Does anyone have Gary Russell's phone #?  

I disagree with those who wanted more blitzes.  Ravens were going max protect in 1st half, so you might as well drop back.  Only problem is you actually have to cover...ya think someone could pick up Derek Mason for a change?

(BTW again:  that dude is good!  He is still a great player even if he is eligible for AARP discounts)

You know, I think all the sacks are really rattling Ben.  He had happy feet in the pocket even when he had time to throw.  On the int, he looked frantic when his first option wasn't open, like he was freaked out just wanting to unload the ball.

This win was butt-ugly, but as Ben said, "We won.  That's what counts."  We've got serious issues, but we had to win tonight or we were going nowhere.  Tough, scrappy, got just enough to get the job done.

I'm with those who said that they just hope we will SURVIVE the Jax game.  I want us to win, but I just hope we don't end up with Jamaine Stephens having to play tackle.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #101 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 16:02 »

Some quick points on each half since this game was clearly a tale of the two:

First Half - That just might be...nah...it actually was Kent Graham~esque.  I never would've expected to see such a hideous performance on offense with #7 "behind the helmet."  It takes a shitty OC, a real shitty OC to make that even possible.  

There is just no excuse to keep marching those stupid ass, motherfucking, shitlicking schemes out there week after week after week...when they don't fucking work!  Please, for the love of all things holy, get rid of the double TE bunch, stacked formations; burn the playbook pages that have anything resembling those 3 and 4 wide plays where the WRs are all inside the numbers; ignore the urge to run, run, pass, punt ala many of your predecessors who had much less to work with at QB.  DO throw to the RB; DO use the TE as a receiving weapon; DO run pass plays where Ben has options underneath or in the flat; DO run the no-huddle; DO call (not WR) screens.

COME.  ON.

*looks around angrily for remote to fling, but next closest thing available is the cell phone...whatever works...*

Dude, don't tell me it's your fault.  Just fix it.  If you can't, find someone that can.  Seriously.  On two of Ben's sacks, they're showing the play develop from the EZ behind the O and you can clearly see ZERO receiving options that are even looking back before they get 15 yards out.  None.

???

!!!

Seriously?  You call that a viable playcall?  I've drawn up better half drunk in the sand in a beach football game.  Why aren't the TE and/or RB chipping a lineman and then leaking out?  Miller or Moore could've had double digit receptions in the last two games, easy.  Using those guys as weapons as opposed to "extra blockers" is a much better option because the best way to neutralize a pass rush is to get rid of the damn ball fast.  I am so sick and tired...sick and motherfucking tired...of seeing Ben laying face down in the turf with one or two Steeler players standing there, having touched nobody on the play.  They aren't doing a goddamned thing hanging around the LOS so put 'em in motion out in a short pattern and force the defense to account, yes?  Please?  Pretty fucking please??  Before #7 gets killed?

And, speaking of #7, IMO, he's gotta do a better job of checking down.  I know the guy is running for his life on 75% of the pass plays called, but it sure looks like he keys on one or two guys and if nothing's there, he improvises.  There were a couple of plays where he did get a few seconds and he's dancin', sidesteppin' and lookin' way downfield only to completely ignore a RB (Moore, once; RM the other time) in the flat on his right.  Take what they give ya, my man.  If you do, that downfield shit will open up.  Maybe he's just not used to having those guys there because it's pretty infrequent that he has them, so he doesn't look??

Finally, this defense...solid.  Even without Hamp and Diesel, they look damn good.  Eason has played really well and Hoke has brought that practice energy to the field.  He might be one of the best backups that gets hardly any props.  LB crew...whoa...even the secondary, with a hiccup here and there, looks good.

As for Jeffy Reed??  Vinatieri who?  If Reed can't have the moniker of "Mr. Automatic," he definitely deserves one of equal stature..."Money."

I might get to the second half a little later on, gotta shoot back to the hospital...another long story...
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2008 at 16:10 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #102 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 08:03 »

Yah, I pretty much agree on all counts.

Jaws is bitching about the sack being Ben's fault, and shows where he shoulda thrown to Ward.  But Ward wasn't looking back, no one was yet.  TOO... DAMNED... LONG... DEVELOPING... PLAYS...

Right, too, that Moore and Miller should be used MUCH more.  We kick ass on throws to Miller over the middle for 8, 15, 20 yards.  Which is OBVIOUSLY why we never utilize that.

One interesting point about the no-huddle.  Someone on another board mentioned that with BA calling the plays, the play clock invariably ticks down to 0.  Ummm... that pretty much clues the DL on when to roll.  I've noticed a lot of offsides or close to offsides not being called, and that may be why: clock, snap, and jump are all happening within tenths of a second of each other.  Consider THAT effect on the OL, and maybe you see why guys like Simmons are always on their heels.  Well, were.  Not excusing the OL, but you need some snaps getting off with 0:15 on the clock, ya know?

Those WR bunch plays worked well last year, but man, vary your shit.  It gets to the point where I can tell about 5 seconds before the snap who's getting the ball and where a fair percentage of the time, just from formation and motion.  And if I can, you sure as shit know Ray Lewis has it figured out.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #103 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 10:47 »

Nice analysis of sacks here.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: