Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 20:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 05 - Oct. 5 @ Jacksonville  (Read 5133 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 08, 2008 at 15:00 »

:blink:  
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2008 at 11:24 by Robotman » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 16:10 »

I said over in the Ravens Game thread that going into the bye 3-2 with this mash unit and shitty OC was just fine by me.

After thinking about it further- we need this win.  Hit Jax when they are down and get the all important AFC win.

No huddle the O the whole game if they need to, but we might be in a closer fight than we think for a playoff bye, or even the division win for that matter (given Balty has the fins and raiders vs. Chargers/Pats).

We need wins against AFC teams.  Save the tough losses for the NFC East teams coming up.

I'm sure the guys will be looking for revenge... but, foremost, lets limp into the bye with no more damage done.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2008 at 08:05 »

They're beat up, we're beat up...  They may be more desperate, and they're at home.  They haven't played well, but this game looks weird right now.  Can't get a handle on it.

With the Ratties 2-1 and us 3-1, not much cushion.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2008 at 10:17 »

Who knows how this one will turn out. Jax will be pumped for sure. The Steeler D should be able to handle their O, as long as they can stop Garrard from killing them with his running. We will have to see which Steeler OL shows up, buts its not going to be a pretty game. Expect the worst, and hope for the best.
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2008 at 19:10 »

Don't know if anyone mentioned but, Snack & Keisel out for Sun.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2008 at 23:40 »

Don't know if anyone mentioned but, Snack & Keisel out for Sun.

that is going to hurt.  especially with that mother effer Fred taylor in the backfield.  has that guy ever had a bad game against us?Huh?

however, im not overly concerned with our D against their O.  The jags passing game is only a notch higher than that of the ratbirds allowing us to concentrate on the jags run game a little more just the same

I think we can give the jags and their 10K fans in the stands a run for their money on O as long as we start out with a quick tempo no huddle type deal.  its a given that Ben will get sacked this game and I will be happy if they are limited to 3 as they were against the ratbirds
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008 at 04:23 by jackSplat58 » Logged

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 08:24 »

Expect the worst, and hope for the best.

This is what I was thinking. We're beat up, but we've definitely been left for dead many times before and come out and shocked the talking heads. Last year's game against the Seahags comes to mind. Although Jax is much better that team.

As was mentioned, I'm not worried about the D. As far as the offense, we're gonna need some # 7 magic.

Not sure I'd underestimate the revenge factor from last year either.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 10:34 »

I'll be the contrarian. 

I think our O out-performs expectation, and our D under-performs.

On offense, we've seen this pattern before.  The team comes out and whomps up on some cupcakes early, we think the offense is finally living to potential, it gets tested against tough defenses and sputters, then takes the middle part of the season to find a groove.  On the upside, this may be the most talented group of QB/WR/RB we've seen in a long, long time.  Downside: the OL and OC. 

Well, OK, but even with injuries all over the place, Jax's D just ain't that unit that was so stingy in years past.  They're giving up 4.1 YPC and 50.0% of 3rd down conversions (worst 3rd down D in NFL).  Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA rating is only good for 27th best in the league.  Even without FWP and Mendenhall, I think Moore's shifty scat style of running, with Dookie taking some late snaps, and Gary Russell possibly coming in for the short grinder yardage, will be effective.  Arians has pussyfooted with using the run to set up the pass, seeming to take us out of whatever rhythm we get into with a Whitman's Sampler of offensive playcalling.  If he can be patient and start setting up 5, 6, 7 yard runs, that will open up opportunities downfield, where we have not been going deep effectively.

I'll say Moore gets 90 yards rushing, Dookie 30, and Russell 25.

On D, the Steelers run D numbers are good, allowing 2.9 YPC, but we always seem to have problems with Taylor and MJD.  Their offensive line is a mess, though, so our mess of a D line (which played pretty well against the Ratties) needs to jam it down their throats.  Late in the game I expect us to win this battle, but if the Jags do run well and control the clock, the game will be flowing their way.  Yes, a high-scoring game definitely favors us in this matchup.  I expect them to run well in the first half, but as LeBeau and the D adjusts in the 2Q, the running lanes start to close, and the Jags have a hard time getting the run going late.

Taylor 75 yards, MJD 60.

For some reason, despite the fact that the Jags' WR suck slimy corpse balls, they've had maddening success with dickweeds like Cokie Jones against our DBs.  Looking at their receivers -- Jones, Reggie Williams, Troy Williamson, Dennis Northcutt, TE Marcedes Lewis -- I think to myself that we should keep them under a 100 yards passing, especially with that hodgepodge OL.  Call it a gut feeling, but I think they'll sneak a few medium range plays over the middle -- groaner plays, like "Why didn't Farrior have Lewis covered for that 25 yard pickup?" and "Why in the name of all that's holy do we have Woodley covering Matt Jones 20 yards downfield?", and so on.  But these little sporadic flareups still don't add up to a coherent offense, IMO. 

They've averaged just under 20 PPG against Tennessee, Buffalo, Indy, and Houston.  Steelers have given up 14.5 to Houston, Cleveland, Philly, and Baltimore.  I don't see Jax getting more than 17 or 20; they may get right around 13 or 14.  Flipside of that, Steelers have averaged 19.24 PPG, while the Jaggies allowed 21.25.  OK, so 20 or 21 points, right?  I think if Ben gets into a rhythm, we could see 24-27, otherwise 20-21 might be about right, just playing the averages.  If we get pressure on Garrard and take advantage of our front 7 vs. their OL issues, maybe that pushes the score our way a little more.

So, after allowing too much running by the Jags, and establishing the run ourselves, I can see halftime looking like 13-7 Steelers, but if we start cooking in the second half I'll call it 24-14 final.  Ben gets on track with a couple of TDs in the 2H to Miller and Holmes, and Moore has a scramble early for a 20 yard TD.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 11:12 »

FWIW, I'm kinda liking the Over (36) and getting points (+4) in this one. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 20:28 »

Well, if Ben plays.  I personally think he will, but we need someone to show up for what could be a winable AFC game.  We need as many wins as we can get right now.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: