Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 09:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 05 - Oct. 5 @ Jacksonville  (Read 5013 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 13:14 »

I'm usually the last guy that complains about the refs throwing the laundry.  For the most part, I just say play it out and the better team will come out on top.  Don't get me wrong, at the time, I'll say something like, "that's a BS penalty;" "that's ticky-tack;" "let the players determine the outcome already;" etc., etc., but I rarely look to that after the fact as some sort of justification for why they lost.

But, last night's game just felt...weird.

At first, I thought that the refs were just looking for some attention.  On one play when the Steelers had the ball, 3rd down and a pass goes incomplete to...Nate, I think.  The defender was near him, not necessarily standing over him or anything and apparently something was said by the Jacksonville player.  Flag.  Penalty.  15 yards.  Taunting.  First down.

Really?  OK.  I'll take it, I guess, but let's let the players determine the outcome here, alright?

Then, the same thing happens against Pittsburgh.  Guess you gotta be consistent.  Fine.  Then, the roughing the passer on Harrison.  Huh?  Then, the unsportsmanlike/taunting on whoever (Nate?) where the referee was livid...uh, what??  Why is he so pissed?  Did the Steeler player call his wife a pig or something?  You have money on Jacksonville, dude?

Very, very strange.

Almost...dare I say it...scripted.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #51 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 07:03 »

Very, very strange.

Seriously, I think that Mr. Unsporsmanlike was just out to prove a point.  Nate stood up and kind of "flashed" the ball at the Jags sideline, most likely in response to jawing that is/had been happening.  Next thing you know, this guy is all INDIGNANT about it, as if Nate did something to HIM.  Seemed to me that he just decided to get "pissy" about that kind of stuff and went on a crusade about it during a nationally-televised feature game.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #52 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 07:32 »

Very, very strange.

Seriously, I think that Mr. Unsporsmanlike was just out to prove a point.  Nate stood up and kind of "flashed" the ball at the Jags sideline, most likely in response to jawing that is/had been happening.  Next thing you know, this guy is all INDIGNANT about it, as if Nate did something to HIM.  Seemed to me that he just decided to get "pissy" about that kind of stuff and went on a crusade about it during a nationally-televised feature game.

There was actually a play where I think Quinton Groves, after sacking Ben, ran over and kind of "shrugged" towards the Steeler's sideline. I think that was worse than either of the two other "taunting" calls.

This is what makes that last TD drive so much more impressive. It was essentially a 95 yard drive when you factor in the taunting penalty.

On a related note, it was pretty funny watching the replay and listening to the Jaguar homers in awe of Ben on the last drive. Basically "how the heck does he do it?" was said about 2 or 3 times.
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: