Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 19:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 09 - Nov. 3 @ Washington  (Read 6721 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:47 »

So what does anybody hear about Ben?  Not that Gary Coleman sucked, he did quite well.
But I wouldn't mind having Ben back.

Dunno.

But BL doesn't fuck around too much back there. When you have a shit O-line, it's not the worst thing to have a QB that lasers it out sooner than later.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #71 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 09:20 »

Speaking of one and done in the playoffs, you're looking at it with the Steelers.

It's very possible we could be one and done.....It's also possible we could win it all.....Look at the landscape of the NFL.....What team out there scares you?....

There are no dominate teams like the Pats or Colts of past seasons.....Every team out there is flawed....
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 09:21 »

Still, I do worry about Coleman's elongated delivery. He was making quicker decisions than Ben, I think, but he does take a while to uncork it.

If he's the designated starter, opposing defenses will be gameplanning for that windup of his. And it's one of the major reasons that the dude is historically injury prone.

That said, Gary played lights out when we really needed some plays. Kudos to him.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #73 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 09:31 »

But BL doesn't fuck around too much back there. When you have a shit O-line, it's not the worst thing to have a QB that lasers it out sooner than later.

BFL gets it out quick, I noticed that too.  Hopefully Ben can learn from that.  Did Lefty get dropped once?  It's not like he's nimble back there.  But he decides quick and goes with it.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #74 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 09:56 »

The reality is, I am just glad the Steelers beat the Redskins. I mean, is there any better team out there than the Redskins? Any better QB than Jason Campbell? Any better cover corner than Carlos Rogers? Any better coach than Jim Zorn? And thank God the Steelers were able to shut down Jim Brown...er Clinton Portis. Very fortunate indeed.

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

I know someone mentioned Kornheiser.  That dude looks like the retarded kid the popular kids let hang around just to be nice.  He adds absolutely no insight.  He must be jerkin Jaws and Tirico during the broadcast.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #75 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 10:50 »

I highly suggest signing up to Meet Alysa Milano at an NFL game.  Then if you win you can post the pictures in the gallery!

Yeah, buddy.  It's the perfect gift for your wife!  "Honey, we're going to San Fransisco!"  Under breath, "To an nfl game where we'll meet megababe Alysa Milano."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:06 »

M'kay.  Some random thoughts mostly on the game and a few general comments on where they stand at the midpoint.

The Good

• Gotta start with the defense.  Best.  In.  The.  League.  Period.  I only hope LeBeau decides to hang around well into his 70s.  How can anyone argue with his track record.  7 seasons as Pittsburgh DC and every year they've been top 10?  Ree-dick.  
  • Harrison/Woodley are insane.  Would be nice if Harrison keeps his feet on the ground though.  I'm not crazy about seeing him do his best Hulk Hogan off the top turnbuckle impersonation.  Things happen when players leave their feet like that and they're all bad.  Well on their way though to hit the sack record from a Steeler edge duo that I predicted for them this year.  Might we see 30??!!!
  • Ike had his best coverage game that I've seen in quite some time.  Good position.  Played the ball real well.  Keep it up #24.  The rest of the secondary was on their game as well.  Really, subtract all of those garbage yards in the 4th and they probably hold Washington to less than 100 yards of offense.
  • Props to the D-line.  Yeah, we all know Smith/Hamp/Keisel are tops, but I gotta give some love to guys like Eason and Hoke.  They rotate in and the defense doesn't miss a beat.  Hoke isn't really a surprise, but Eason definitely is.  I thought he would be OK in spot duty, but I never expected to see above average play which, IMO, is what he's given to date this year.  Keep up the good work, boys.  It hasn't gone unnoticed.
  • As Penzdoodle pointed out, BFL gets a game ball.  To come off the bench and look as sharp and poised as he did...man, solid.  Hard to believe that this guy was just sitting around waiting for a phone call from a team during the preseason.  A credit to the coaching staff for not only looking this guy up, but choosing him over Culpepper and all other options.  I love Batch and I expect him to be back as the #2 next year, but it's nice to know that for now, Pittsburgh has a backup that's actually started an NFL game or two.
  • I thought the line did a decent job last night.  It seemed like most of the pressures where the result of good coverage or indecision.  I don't think that there were many plays where a defender, a down lineman, came in untouched.  They still have problems when teams stunt, slant and try to get tricky, but I think that's more of just not communicating and not gelling as a group.  One on one, I don't think they're that bad.  They're not great, but they're not as bad as the media and us fans make them out to be.  Maybe I'm just looking through rose colored glasses as Washington is generally considered a poor pass rushing team and they were still able to put pressure on the QB without Jason Taylor.  I keep trying to remind myself that front seven isn't as good as the Giants', Philly's and Baltimore's so they, in theory, shouldn't have been able to put as much pressure on Pittsburgh as they did.  However, I give credit to Washington as they did their homework.  They saw what those teams did against Pittsburgh and they copied it.  Now, it's on the coaching staff to plan accordingly and counteract that.  One final note about this group, remember folks, this group is not used to playing together...yet.  Colon at RT is pretty much the only constant from last year.  Stapleton, Hartwig, Kemo, Starks are all new to an extent.  Continuity is a big deal for an offensive line and when you have turnover (Faneca, Mahan) and injuries (Simmons, Smith) it is tough for them to all get on the same page.  If this group can play out the next few weeks together, I'd expect to see at least a glimmer of improvement.  
  • Nice to see FWP back in action.  Didn't quite seem to be operating at 100% though.  Did more stutter stepping than I'd like to see and it seemed like he wasn't hitting the hole as quick as he should.  Still, it was a good opportunity to get him back in the flow.  After the half I muttered that I wanted to see more of Moore to not overwork Parker in his first game back and the coaching staff delivered.  MM made a few key blocks; a huge leakout reception for big yardage; and that big reception for a 1st inside the 5.  He showed better hands than just about any WR on the field last night.  AGAIN, a gold star or two to the coaching staff for quietly inking him to a chump change deal this offseason.  This dude is a serious weapon that should be utilized more in the passing game.  Hear that BA?  But, I digress.  I'll save comments for him for where he belongs.  The Bad.  A perfect segway.
The Bad

• OK.  I'm officially done with Arians...again.  I wanted him to just disappear after last year and his Jacksonville postseason fuck up was just icing on the cake.  After many months and many medications, I was able to come to begrudgingly come to peace with him keeping his job.  Fine.  Give him another chance in '08.  OK.  Add to his arsenal and maybe he'll come around; maybe he'll learn to adjust; maybe he'll learn how to best utilize the weapons at his disposal; maybe he'll figure out how to overcome an offensive line that leaves something to be desired; maybe...maybe, eh?  No.  Hell-motherfucking-no.  He'll show a tiny glimmer of possibly turning the corner and figuring it out, but we get snapped back to reality at the sight of that G-D bunch, tight, double TE formation garbage that's effective like, .05% of the time.  Quite simply, this team needs better guidance and coaching from that position.  And, that's not something that he can provide.  I firmly believe that this offense does what it does in spite of him, not because of him and that's just unacceptable at this level.  He is holding this group back.  They are capable of being so much more dominant and effective.  To me, there is nothing that this team could achieve this year that would sway me from wanting him gone after this year.  And, that includes a SB ring.  If that happens, consider it a parting gift, Bruce.
  • Did the WRs all get together before the game and dip into Holmes' stash?  Santonio looked dazed...stoned, for the first half and the rest of the WRs were dropping the ball like it was covered with fire ants.  Plus, I saw some lazy route running and blocking left something to be desired, even from Ward.  I wonder if all those fines have gotten him to tone it down some because last night makes two games in a row where he doesn't lay somebody out.  At the very least, you see him driving a DB way downfield on a run play, but all I saw was him and everyone else standing in the way of a defender.  Lackluster effort, IMO.  The 2nd half was better than the first, but that's not saying much.
  • #7.  I love ya, man, but you've gotta be more decisive and do a better job of getting rid of the rock.  Pump fakes should not be a part of your regular routine.  I get it when you're trying to make a DB bite on a move, but when it seems like you're doing it on every other play, I can't help but wonder, "there's something going on with him."  I don't know if it's confidence or injury or being a half step slow or what, but he just doesn't look comfortable when he drops back.  It's herky jerky, almost unscripted and improvised.  IMO, you need to work harder, much harder, at reading defenses and going through your progressions.  Pittsburgh was one Carlos Rogers "sure INT through the hands for 6 the other way" away from being down 13 to 3.  I'm no expert, but that seemed like a bad job of exactly what I mentioned.  It felt like you locked in on one receiver and never looked past him.  Another example was taking that sack when you had #21 wide open in the flat on 3rd down.  Moore could've easily converted and if he makes one guy miss, he might've taken it to the house.  I wish all the best and hope for a speedy recovery for you because this team is not gonna get #6 without you, but you might want to spend some of this extra time you'll have on your hands in the film room, at the very least.
  • There just has to be a better punting option out there than a gimpy Berger.  Somebody.  Please.  Anybody.  I know he's the holder too, but Ward had been filling in there.  Special teams are just too crucial to have to live with a punter that nets in the low to mid 30s and rarely gets off a bomb when they need it.  What's Gardocki doin' these days?
  • This kinda dovetails with my first Bad point, but I hated how much pressure this team put on their own defense late in that game.  The defense had a long drive where they held; Pittsburgh got it back on the goalline; gave it right back; the defense held, again; the offense gave it back...again; and this proceeded to occur at least one more time, I think, until the end game whistle.  Towards the end, you could see that the defense was just gassed.  So, knowing that, maybe be a little more aggressive in the playcalling?  I know the team was up by three scores, but I felt the offense (especially inside 6 minutes or so) could've manned up and said, "let's finish this thing with us running the clock out."  But, what we saw was run, run, pass, punt for the last quarter or so.  It might be kinda nit picky, but I would've liked to have seen them put their boot on Washington's neck and stomp the oxygen out of 'em.  One or two first down conversions probably would've done it.

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 12:02 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:32 »

Yeah - how about a dive by the QB for two yards when the ball is at the .25 yard line instead of handing it to Parker 5 yards deep in the end zone?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #78 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:34 »

BFL gets it out quick, I noticed that too.  Hopefully Ben can learn from that.  Did Lefty get dropped once?  It's not like he's nimble back there.  But he decides quick and goes with it.

_____

Gary Coleman took one sack, and seemed to be taking just as many chances and taking just as long as Ben (such as the jump pass to MM with three guys hanging onto him).  Leftwich also seemed to benefit somewhat from a more established running game.

Of the three Roethlisberger sacks, two occurred on third down.  The third was on first down and occurred largely because the right side WR fell down.  Ben seemed to be consciously working the short game (Spaeth) but the Redskin D seemed to be sitting on the shorter stuff, knowing that there would be insufficient time to go 15+ yards downfield.  It also didn't help than Bluntman had an awful half.

Leftwich was the player of the game, but all of the same problems remain offensively.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:52 »

So what does anybody hear about Ben?  Not that Gary Coleman sucked, he did quite well.
But I wouldn't mind having Ben back.

Dunno.

Yep, agreed on that.  I thought he did a great job.  I might even start calling him by his real name from now on.
 eck02

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: