Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 23:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 11 - Nov. 16 vs. San Diego  (Read 9620 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 08, 2008 at 15:15 »

:tits:  

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 14:43 »

So, who starts opposite Taylor at corner with Townsend and McFadden still out?  Gay?

I'm guessing that FB is a nickel guy?

IMO, not a good week for this secondary to be going up against the likes of Gates, Jackson, Chambers et al.  They need as many (good) cover guys as they can field.

Good to see that Woodman and Parker should be back as well.  Miller still out hurts though.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 15:55 »

I haven't seen/heard anything about Woodley.  Anyone got the scoop?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:58 »

This is must win.

This team needs to get on one of those middle of the season rolls that Cowher would get after his typical slow start.

Because going thru the week after a Steelers loss fucking sucks.

Our defense is due to score a TD or two.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 23:48 »

This is must win.

must win is an understatement.  i cant recall if we ever lost 3 home games in a row since BC.  SD sucks balls and lets hope they continue to do so against the steelers.  dead last in passing defense is a great cure for whatever ills the big guy.

protect ben and we roll BIG!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:32 »

This is must win.

must win is an understatement.  i cant recall if we ever lost 3 home games in a row since BC.  SD sucks balls and lets hope they continue to do so against the steelers.  dead last in passing defense is a great cure for whatever ills the big guy.

protect ben and we roll BIG!

I'd be a little hesitant to say that they suck balls.  They've got the talent (on paper, at least) to hang with anybody in the league and offensively, I don't think Pittsburgh has faced a better squad yet this year.  As I said awhile back on some other thread, they're one of the teams that scares me the most in the AFC because if they turn it on, they're one of the tougher teams to beat.  As bad as they've looked at times, they're two last second FGs away (Carolina and Denver) from being 6-3 too instead of 4-5.

The good news is that their defense is a little banged up and shitty; near the bottom of the league in total yards allowed and passing yards allowed.  If the weather isn't too bad (I've heard rumblings that it's supposed to hover around freezing with snow showers on Sunday after noon), I could see this being a big over play.  Their offense against a really banged up Steelers secondary feels an awful lot like a 31-26 kinda game.  Plus, it serves as a good squad this week (and Cincy next week) for #7 to have to face to get his groove back.

The better news is that this game is on the East coast.  It would've been better if it was a 1:00 start because west coast teams coming east and playing at that time are something like 0 for 14, 15, 16, something like that.  Those playing in the afternoon have had slightly better results, but not by much. 

Additionally, look at SD's schedule and record again and what do you see?  A team that's won all but one of their home games and lost all but one of their road games.  Combine that with having to travel east and possibly having to play in shitty weather and you get a game that feels like it's really stacked in Pittsburgh's favor.

So, why do I have a sinking feeling about this game?  I don't frickin' know.

Maybe people should take a lot of solace in that fact.  I felt confident that they would beat Indy last week and was concerned that they would lose this week to SD.  Let's hope that I continue to not know WTF I'm talkin' about as I think the only recent Steeler game I got right was their win over Washington.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:34 by aj_law » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:37 »

I haven't seen/heard anything about Woodley.  Anyone got the scoop?

Seem to recall Tomlin in his PC that Woodley was working out and scheduled to practice mid-late week and they expected him to play this Sunday.  A more recent update would be nice though.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 10:00 »

Yep.  Looks like Woodman's back on the field Sunday.

Bring the pain!!!!!!

The pass defense has been a wonder to behold this season, at least until Peyton Manning picked on it a little. Before a Manning pass clanged off cornerback Ike Taylor's hands and into those of Reggie Wayne for a 65-yard touchdown, the Steelers had not allowed a pass longer than 35 yards and only two longer than 30.

That they lead the NFL with 34 sacks no doubt has helped keep the long pass completions to a minimum, and they might need to crank it up Sunday against Rivers with the new guys in their secondary.

"Absolutely," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I think our secondary is playing real well, but I think a little bit toward the end of Sunday's game we didn't get to Peyton as much as we should have. So yeah, we need to get after Philip."

It won't hurt that LaMarr Woodley and his 9.5 sacks are expected to return at left outside linebacker after he missed the Indianapolis game with a calf injury.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 10:28 »

With Woodley out, teams can double team Harrison, although I don't think Indy did, but with him in there, there are 3 - 5 guys (Woodley, Harrison, Timmons, Foote, Smith) that will be breathing on the QB on any play.  One or more of them will be getting pressure on any one play is what I was trying to say.  With Woodley in there, that is one more that can get pressure.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 22:28 »

Steelers 24 Bolts 17.  Ben 210yds 1int 2 tds :  Ward and Washington. Parker 122 TD. D 2 picks 4 sacks.
LT 95 and 2tds

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: