Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 21:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 11 - Nov. 16 vs. San Diego  (Read 10662 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #140 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 19:37 »

I think the illegal fwd pass was non-declinable (e.g. loss of down).  Therefore the TD was nullified and time in the game expired.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #141 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 19:48 »

I just don't understand why they would even bother wasting time to review it.  Either way, the game was over.

:Donaghy:

ninja

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #142 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:22 »

Here's how I feel about this game.  I can't quite put the right words together, but this is my description:

You remember where the Giants got the ball after free kick on the Harrison safety?  We got the ball short of our own 10 after the free kick by the Chargers after the Harrison safety.

Yeah, it's kinda like that.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:25 by DCSteelers » Logged
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #143 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 21:01 »

The big joke up in section 532 today was BA calling runs to the left.  Every friggin' running play in the first half was to the left.  The 4th and goal running play was as someone posted earlier to the hole between LG and LT. 

The second half was a different story.  When's the last time a team had a 300 yard passer, 100 yard receiver, 100 yard rusher, and no TD's?!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #144 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 21:17 »

When's the last time a team had a 300 yard passer, 100 yard receiver, 100 yard rusher, and no TD's?!

it happened the same time there was a 11-10 ballgame.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #145 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 00:11 »

Well, ultimately what counts is that it was a win.  Have not been real thrilled with the last few home games.  This one had a very similar feel to the Indy game in the sense that we were beating the crap out of a team but couldn't put them away.  Last week we scored a little, but untimely turnovers put our team in a bad spot.  This week, we took care of the ball, had very nice TOP, yardage, and turnover margins, defense kicked ass, yet we almost lost it because of penalties and an inability to put it in the end zone.  I'll hope that was an anomaly; we haven't had a lot of trouble with red zone TDs prior to this.

Good news is, while offenses can go hot and cold, typically a good/great defense tends to stay that way much more consistently.  With the cold weather kicking in, may need to ride that Steeler D into the playoffs.

7-3 looks a hell of a lot better than 6-4.

Got some tough ones coming up, but if we play well, we could be in position to clinch the division vs. Balty.  I'm guessing 9-4 Steelers vs. 8-5 Ravoons.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #146 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 06:18 »

2) That many penalties are unacceptable.  Early on, I joked about the zebras having it in for us.  But a majority of the calls were spot-on. 

I saw only spots of the game in the second half--that church thing really gets in the way sometimes! Wink--but three calls in the first quarter were horrendous:

-PI vs. Ike in the end zone.  No way the ball was catchable, receiver went the wrong way, and he ran into Ike, not vice-versa.

-Illegal formation vs. Colon.  I'm sure that's a "Point of Emphasis" this year, but I've seen guys lined up MUCH further back than Colon was on that play.

-Holding vs. Hines.  Maybe you can call that, but it was "ticky-tack" at best.

My beef with it is more the discrepency in calls.  I find it hard to believe that, in those conditions, the Chargers only had two plays worthy of a flag.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #147 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 06:33 »

I think the refs are looking at Hines more closely because they are afraid our little big man WR will destroy another large LB with a crushing block.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #148 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 08:07 »

Few things.

- I swear every year, I think it's going to be the year Hines slows down. The guy puts his body on the line every play, yet continues to make clutch play after clutch play.

- 18 for 62, 13 for 36, and 18 for 57. Those are LT's last three rushing lines against us. I think it's safe to say the man who will probably be the all-time leading rusher in the NFL hates lining up against the Black & Gold.

- Hats off to the patchwork secondary holding Rivers to 159 yards. Definitely looked like there was some miscommunication out there, but they avoided giving up a monster play.

- Troy and Silverback have the highlight reel plays from yesterday, but I gotta give some love to #99. Sack, 7 tackles, and a big batted ball. He might not be as valuable as #91 and #98, but at the very least he's Aaron Smith lite. Not sure how many years this D-Line has left, but they sure are fun to watch this year.

- We basically doubled their 1st downs, total yardage and time of possession, yet only won by one. I guess that has to do with the fact that we out-penalized them 115 to 5. A win is a win but they need to get their heads out of their asses on the unforced errors such as false starts.

- Ben quietly put up great numbers. Seems to be at least hitting the checkdown more and more. That rope to Hines on 3rd down on the last drive should have laid to rest any QB controversy. I hate BA, but he actually called a great game IMO. Slants, quick screens, and he mixed in the run well.

- Speaking of mixing in the run, I love MM and hope we still use him quite a bit but Willie showed that when he is healthy he is elite. He was a shoelace away from breaking a long one all day, and consistently picked up positive yardage. Sorry for calling you Glass Willie last week.

- Can't complain about being 7-3, but I think everyone here realizes we could be 9-1 at this point. We definitely haven't peaked on O yet this year. Hopefully we continue to improve week to week, and hopefully the D holds up all year.

- Let's go out Thurs. and smack the Bungles silly in the 1st half, get the starters some rest, get to 8-3, and get ready for the stretch run of the season.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 at 08:25 by Merman1983 » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #149 on: Nov 17, 2008 at 08:33 »

2) That many penalties are unacceptable.  Early on, I joked about the zebras having it in for us.  But a majority of the calls were spot-on. 

I saw only spots of the game in the second half--that church thing really gets in the way sometimes! Wink--but three calls in the first quarter were horrendous:

-PI vs. Ike in the end zone.  No way the ball was catchable, receiver went the wrong way, and he ran into Ike, not vice-versa.

-Illegal formation vs. Colon.  I'm sure that's a "Point of Emphasis" this year, but I've seen guys lined up MUCH further back than Colon was on that play.

-Holding vs. Hines.  Maybe you can call that, but it was "ticky-tack" at best.

My beef with it is more the discrepency in calls.  I find it hard to believe that, in those conditions, the Chargers only had two plays worthy of a flag.

I was bitching about those same calls.  And that same discrepancy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: