Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 19:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 16 - Dec. 21 @ Tennessee  (Read 10987 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #120 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:04 »

The loss doesn't bother me as much as the perceived lack of effort. 

And I am sick of listening to Nantz and Simms.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #121 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:10 »

What an absolute debacle.

And yes, there certainly was a lack of effort... so much so there's no question in my mind that they tried to keep it vanilla. 

No blitzes on D... No real special looks... 3-4 man rushes...

What tips me off is the lack of no huddle early in the 4th, and the lack of slants and quick outs.  Ben's decision making was part of that problem, as on the pick he had Moore in the flat for the first.  Also, Nate in the endzone for the TD in the first.  I think he got his bell rung on that running play- he didn't look like the same Ben after that.

I tell ya what, that Titans team is very arrogant.  Karma is a bitch..

The part that bothered me the most was Ben's awful decision making.  I think it's a good lesson for the team, and takes the "Vaunted Steelers D" talk out of the media and will force extra attention into the divisional round.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:18 by DCSteelers » Logged
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #122 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:10 »

I hope Ryan Clark is OK...

He really look like he broke his wrist on that play.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #123 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:11 »

Initial thoughts...

1.  Max Starks and Justin Hartwig have been our best O-linemen the past four weeks or so.  Our offense doesn't get us where we need to be without Kemo, Colon, and Stapleton stepping up and playing better.  What those three did today was a goddam disgrace.

2.  Willie Parker needs some rest.  Get Russell some carries next week and hope to God Parker can get right with a couple weeks off.  There's no chance of Moore being the #1 back (which he should have been lately) so let's hope they make the next best decision of limiting Parker next week and letting him get healthy (or at least closer to it.)

3.  Ben lived by the sword (holding on to the ball too damn long) and won last week, and he died by that same sword today.

4.  At least we didn't lose with our best effort.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #124 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:14 »

Shitty game, nothing much more to say.  The only positives I can glean from this loss:

1. No need to play starters, #2 seed locked in.

2. The D was eventually going to have a less than stellar game, may as well happen before the playoffs start.

3. We won't have to listen to Nantz and Simms next weekend.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #125 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:15 »

I'm also for a full out resting of the starters against the Brownies..

Troy, Harrison, Ben, Hines, Santonio.  I doubt Clark will play.

Give Leftwich the start and see what Sweed and Nate can do.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #126 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:18 »

I am not too concerned about the lack of effort, because I think that can be confused with being mentally and physically tired. The D has been in some serious battles in the last 5 weeks. There had to be a let down, emotionally, and this team has to physically tired and beat up after this schedule and in particular after this stretch of games.

Its always disappointing to lose, and the #1 seed would have been nice, but the #2 seed and a possible 12-4 record is something everyone on here would have taken instantly in August. Play the starters 1 or 2 quarters and let Gary Coleman and Gary Russell try to mop up the Stains.

I have the feeling that the Terrible Towel disrespect by the Titans is going to come back to haunt them. After Ray-Ray and the Thuggs put a hurt on them. Talk it up now Titans, you had more to lose than Pittsburgh today, and you guys didn't see the best of that defense.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #127 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:34 »

I am not too concerned about the lack of effort, because I think that can be confused with being mentally and physically tired.

We've run the gauntlet so far this season, and came out of it with the #2 seed.  I honestly can't be upset with that at all.  Seriously, I started hollering for Tomlin to pull the starters after the hit on Ben at the goal line and the injury to Harrison.  I just don't think it's worth it, especially since the team just looked exhausted. 

The offense isn't going to improve no matter how much time they spend on the field.  Play the starters for a while next week, get them out and try to beat Cleveland with the subs.  Get some rest and get ready for the playoffs.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #128 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 15:47 »

I am not too concerned about the lack of effort, because I think that can be confused with being mentally and physically tired. The D has been in some serious battles in the last 5 weeks. There had to be a let down, emotionally, and this team has to physically tired and beat up after this schedule and in particular after this stretch of games.

Its always disappointing to lose, and the #1 seed would have been nice, but the #2 seed and a possible 12-4 record is something everyone on here would have taken instantly in August. Play the starters 1 or 2 quarters and let Gary Coleman and Gary Russell try to mop up the Stains.

I agree w/ the idea that the D may be tired, as they've been on the field a lot over the past few weeks.  So maybe it was that.

Still, as a personal thing, I hate a lack of effort in anything.  The missed tackles and poor angles just seemed like a lack of effort to me.  Maybe a tired defense.  Hope they can rebound from it.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #129 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 16:05 »

3. We won't have to listen to Nantz and Simms next weekend.

Well, at least there's that.

As somebody said previously, given this record at the beginning of the year we'd all take it.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: