Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 22:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 16 - Dec. 21 @ Tennessee  (Read 11118 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #130 on: Dec 21, 2008 at 20:44 »

I agree w/ the idea that the D may be tired, as they've been on the field a lot over the past few weeks.  So maybe it was that.

Still, as a personal thing, I hate a lack of effort in anything.  The missed tackles and poor angles just seemed like a lack of effort to me.  Maybe a tired defense.  Hope they can rebound from it.

[/quote]

The D may have been tired, but i think it boils down to a lack of intensity.  a week ago, there is no way that drunkin bastard has such an efficient day passing or even sniffs the 150 yard mark.  the number of 20+ plays was a huge indication that most of the defense was going through the motions or at least half assin it.

the O line as well was going through the motions, at least I hope they were.  Im not too worked up over a rook DL schooling the OL.  just a dude working his ass off wanting a starting role in the near future against some OL that just wanted to go home for the holidays. 

Thought both teams had the intensity meter kicked down a notch somewhat.  Had it been in high gear, we definitley would have seen Ward and Finny Jr. scrappin at one point.

but yeah, hopefully they can get back on track against Clevlin.  with a meaningful game 3 weeks away, they had better get shaped up at least by the end of the first quarter. 

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #131 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 09:16 »

Not the biggest deal: securing the bye was the big thing, IMO.  HFA throughout... meh.

Still, a lackluster effort, IMO.  Lots of whiffed tackles (Foote was horrible, Ike could have closed the game out).  The same old issues on O that have been with us all year.

I'm not ready to pat the OL on the back for improved effort just because they're not giving up the ole sacks... Sometimes Ben holds on to the ball too long, but if you're going to blame Ben for that, just look where the DL rushers are relative to our OL, when they're rushing 4 and sandwiching Ben.  If you're getting pushed all the way back to the QB on a regular basis, don't play O line.  Also, for the scant improvements in pass blocking, the run blocking has been mostly awful this year.  You watch other teams (Titans among them), and they're offering up holes for their RBs that we just don't have.  Maybe FWP is a tad pussier of foot than MM, but come on, the OL isn't giving him much to work with.

And if I see another fucking delayed draw this year, I swear they're gonna find Arians at the bottom of the River.

Ben looked like he was working at McDonalds, cuz he was offering all comers free turnovers.  That shit right there can't be going on in the postseason.   

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #132 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 10:53 »

You've gotta be kidding me.  Fucking unsportsmanlike?  They're kicking a FG and you give them 1st and goal from the fucking 3?

FUCK.

Did anyone hear exactly what that call was for?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #133 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:11 »

Honestly, I know that we wanted to win this game, but our D has been absolutely vanilla for most of the game.  Clearly, we were not going to tip our hand.  We know where we're going to be, let's keep everyone healthy.

I got to watch this game on about an hour delay (TYVM again, mother nature).  So, the early parts of the game were kinda in hurry up mode.

To me, it felt like they came out of the gates blazing on defense.  Offensively, they were sputtering (surprise), but they were getting the job done.  Then, after a few nicks on a coupla players (Ben, Harrison and someone else that limped off after a play, don't recall who...) it felt to me like the team's intensity just died, especially after Silverback went down.  It was almost as if as a group, they eased up and said, "hey, HFA is nice, but we don't want to lose anyone in this one."  From then on, it looked like they were kinda going through the motions and playing not to get hurt.

Once they got down double digits in the second half, forget it.  They wanted off that field, bad.

BTW, fuck Griffin for running that last pick back with a few ticks left on the clock.  He coulda just taken a knee and they woulda had one offensive play, but he had to rub their noses in it.  The Terrible Towel thing was just over the top and will cost the Oilers dearly.  Somewhere, Whosyourmomma was muttering to himself, "I wouldn't go there if I were you guys..."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #134 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:14 »

You've gotta be kidding me.  Fucking unsportsmanlike?  They're kicking a FG and you give them 1st and goal from the fucking 3?

FUCK.

I'd like to know that myself.  That seemed like BS.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #135 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:27 »

FUCK.

I'd like to know that myself.  That seemed like BS.

They said a Steeler was yelling "hike, hike, hike" or something like that, interfering with the Titanics' snap count.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #136 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:34 »

BTW, fuck Griffin for running that last pick back with a few ticks left on the clock.  He coulda just taken a knee and they woulda had one offensive play, but he had to rub their noses in it.  The Terrible Towel thing was just over the top and will cost the Oilers dearly.  Somewhere, Whosyourmomma was muttering to himself, "I wouldn't go there if I were you guys..."

I hope these two meet in the AFCC.  Revenge will be sweet.  Would love to see Hines find that bitch not paying attention.

And I'd like to see Woodley and Harrison bring out the Big Fear in Collins.  Collins had one of his better games of the season and Ben one of his worse.  Doubt that stays the same should they meet again.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #137 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:40 »

Ben has thrown better but still we've got no run game, the OL (Kemoeatu in particular) has been spotty and Ben has fumbled 4 times (1 INT).  There's been some good, but a lot of bad that really concerns me heading into the playoffs. 

The Steelers seem unmotivated and lackadaisical on both sides of the football.

Two OPI penalties today?  Refs making up for last week's injustices?

"Injustices?"  Whatchootalkin'bout, Willis?  You mean the call they got right??  *smirk*

Seriously though, to me, the problem with the run game is that it's just so goddamned predictable.  I mean, crazy predictable.  Maybe they're "saving" the "good" plays for the playoffs, I dunno because there were exactly zero plays that you couldn't see coming from a mile away.  IMO, everybody, from the line to Ben to WP, totally telegraphed when it was a run and when it was a pass.  There was no deception, no intent to deceive.  Again, I'm sitting here hoping that this was intentional and that they've got some magic brewin' for the playoffs, but pardon me if I'm skeptical that that'll be the case.

Like I said the other day, the #1 seed is nice, but the most important thing was having no serious injuries and getting the offense in a groove.  Well, to the best of my knowledge, we got 1 outta 2.  

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #138 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:45 »

Like I said the other day, the #1 seed is nice, but the most important thing was having no serious injuries and getting the offense in a groove.

Would you settle for a rut?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #139 on: Dec 22, 2008 at 11:47 »

And I'd like to see Woodley and Harrison bring out the Big Fear in Collins.  Collins had one of his better games of the season and Ben one of his worse.  Doubt that stays the same should they meet again.

Can't remember which announcer said it, but did I hear one of them say that Collins has been sacked like 9 or 10 times all year??

Imagine.

Still, I think that's a testament as to why the corners were biting hard on that short shit.  He doesn't get sacked because he gets rid of the ball quickly and lets the WR, RB, make a play.  Willing to bet that 95% of Terry Collin's passes are of the 10 YD and under variety.

I've love to see these fucks again in the CC game, but I think they're one and done.  The only way they may survive their first matchup is if SD or Denver somehow manage to slide by the Ratties and the Colts get upended by the East winner.

Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: