Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 05:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dtv nfl package  (Read 1628 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 11:30 »

You know, I gots SuperFan for free the other day, but I've been in a shitty mood the last few so a phone call to see what else I can get for free sounds in order.

BV - that sucks.  That's why you go LCD man!  'Bout 100 pounds lighter and easier to move.

Which "new" receiver did you get?  The black HD DVR?  I think the model # is HR21 or some such shit.  That's the one that they sent to me when they upgraded me (for free, obv) to the "newer" HD dish.  I don't think there's a newer model out, but if there is...woohoo...another thing to bitch about...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2008 at 13:34 »

The new receiver is the HR-21.  It is a lot faster than my HR-20.  The fast forward and rewind speeds for recorded content are much faster.

My order got jacked up, of course, so I should be getting the bulb today.

I figure with my DLP, at least I get a new TV every couple of years.  The last 6 months I've been bumping up the brightness and I should have to turn it back down quite a bit.  I'm going to order another bulb before this one goes out, so the TV is only down for a couple of hours instead of several days.

My 1080P at 52 inches looks way better, to me, than any flat panel or LCD in that same size range.  The 1080i LCD's don't even compare, IMHO.

Since I spent pretty much all of Sunday laying on my bed watching TV (since the big dog was out of comission) my daughter asked Mrs. BV if I was sick.  Too funny.

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2008 at 13:55 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2008 at 09:15 »

I figure with my DLP, at least I get a new TV every couple of years.  The last 6 months I've been bumping up the brightness and I should have to turn it back down quite a bit.  I'm going to order another bulb before this one goes out, so the TV is only down for a couple of hours instead of several days.

My 1080P at 52 inches looks way better, to me, than any flat panel or LCD in that same size range.  The 1080i LCD's don't even compare, IMHO.

I guess that's a good way of looking at it.  The main downside to it is probably the bulk.  I'm pretty much in the same position with my 40" Sony XBR tube.  I get a great HD picture, but when I see all of these ridiculously thin 50"+ LCDs everywhere, it feels like we've got a Mini Cooper parked in our living room.

As to the picture, well, unless you're pumpin' BluRay or a PS3, a 1080i and 1080p will look about the same.  I'd be willing to bet that if you brought home one of the top tier LCDs and used your current setup on it, the picture would be about the same.  It would just originate from a much slimmer unit.

Have you seen the new 8 Series Samsung?  Less than 2" wide and only 60 pounds, man.  Fucking sick.  Ignore the price though.  Tweeter is off the charts expensive.  You can get that for $500 less (at least) pretty much anywhere.

I was very close to buying the 7 Series Samsung a few weeks ago, but I held off.  This past week in our Circuit City flier, they had a package deal for the 6 Series Samsung and a Samsung BluRay player for $2399.

I'm not sure what to do.  Everytime I get close, I wait and the price drops another couple hundy.  Of course, in the interim, a newer set comes out that's more expensive and the process starts all over again...
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2008 at 09:20 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: