Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 23:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple TV/LCD questions  (Read 2656 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 13, 2008 at 13:52 »

OK.  I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the Samsung 6, 7 or 8 series.

First question, does anyone have any of these models and have an issue with glare?  Apparently, from some reviews I've read, people claim that the Samsungs have more glare than the LCD screens of other brands (i.e. Sony, LG, etc).  That really seems to be the biggest strike against...along with the ToC bezel, which I don't really mind.

The only other "problem" I've read about is that some models from early '08 require a firmware update after purchase because it keeps turning on/off by itself.  My question is, does anybody that purchased one in the last month or two have the same problem or has it been addressed with the newer models?

Finally, the accessories.  

I know that there are some 3rd party websites that offer insurance/extended warranty at a fraction of the price that places like Circuit City/Best Buy charge.  Does anyone know of a reputable site that they've actually used when buying a new TV?  Bonus points for anyone with experience buying this insurance through these sites that have actually had to submit a claim and didn't get dicked over.

Also, the best site for HDMI cables and a kick ass wall mount or stand at reduced prices?  I know there are several out there, but I was wondering if anyone has actually bought stuff from a specific site and they're happy with the quality of the products they got.

Thanks in advance.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:52 »

I know nothing about current LCD's or the Samsung series.

You can go to the LCD area at AVS (I know it is a huge site) and probably get answers to the firmware questions.

As far as HDMI, or any other cables, use monoprice.com.  I recently got upgraded HDMI cables for $15.  They still sell for about $75 at the big brick and Morter(sp?) stores.  I had no problems ordering from them except my cable was back ordered for a week or two.

If you go to that AVS site you can probably find a decent mount from one of the site advertisers.  I think you have previously said you have been to that site, and if so, you know that to serve that crowd they have to sell solid stuff.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 09:57 »

When I bought my LCD in April, I looked at the Samsung and Sony Bravia. I ended up with the Sony because of the glare on the Samsung. They use a glass screen (similar to plasmas), Bravia is a matte screen and has zero glare. If you are installing your TV in a low light area (basement), the Samsung is an excellent TV. My TV was going to be in the living room with a lot of natural light that would have really glared on the screen.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:11 »

Yeah, I've been trying to sell the Samsung 6 and 7 series on Mrs. Finny, who was big on the idea but then cooled after some recent spending (new vehicle, trip to Aruba, etc.).  We tend to be a frugal lot, and all this consumerism seemed to scare her off.

Our LR does have some natural light, but I tend to like it shaded when watching TV anyway, so that's no issue.

Thought the firmware issues had been addressed months ago, from what I'd read on Amazon.  Their pricing drives me nuts.  I've had the 650 in my cart for 2 months now, and I've seen the price vary by about $150 over that span, up and down.  Good price compared to retailers though (Best Buy, et al.).

We're not wall mounting, so no help there.  

I tend to stay away from extended service warranties, just seems like a money trap.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:31 »

I have the Samsung 650 120 hz. I like it a bunch. The glare isn't that bad. It came with updated firmware, so no shutting off problems. But the firmware update is real easy to do if you have to.

Right now, the model year is switching over. You can pick up an '08 46" 650 for like 15 hundie right now. The '09 is 2250. Not much difference between the 2.

Would definately recommend the 650. The Sony might be a little better, but not $500 better.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 10:45 »

As far as the warranty goes, if the local Costco sells that TV, the Costco return policy is probably better than an extended warranty.  It used to be that they have a 3 year return policy on their electronics.  Don't know if that is still the case, but if they have that TV there, it is most likely as cheap as you can find it anywhere.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2008 at 11:06 »

Thanks for the input, fellers.

Yeah, monoprice.com is the site that I had heard about that I couldn't remember.  There are so many out there now, it's getting harder to weed out the good from the bad.

The screen on the Samsung is similar to plasmas, but I don't think it's quite as reflective.  I stopped at a local Bernies this past weekend (grand opening sale...*eye roll*...) and they had the 6 Series right out front when you walk in.  The store has nothing but a glass front and was kinda surprised as the glare wasn't as bad as I expected.  There were a few plasmas near it and IMO, it was considerably worse on them.  I guess the only way to really know for sure is to buy it and check it out myself.  Even if we sell our home, I doubt the home we buy will have more light in the TV room/LR/FR it than my current one.  We've got two huge skylights pretty much right over where the TV would be positioned.

I've always been a Sony guy; the two current sets I have are Sony and even the two really old, small picture tubes in the kiddies rooms are Sony.  But, after reading everything I have for the last handful of months and seeing them in action, I don't see a difference.  Well, that is, until you look at the price tag.  Plus, the Circuit City near us was running a promo for a 52" 6 Series with a Samsung BluRay player for $2300.  The player by itself is $399.  The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger (other than shelling out the Bennies, which we've been doing a lot lately with all the home touching up stuff so we can put it on the market) is the Series 8.  I'm not sure if having a TV that's < 2" deep is worth the extra cost.  Right now, I'm leaning towards "no."

I guess the price fluctuations are more pronounced on the bigger sets because to me, it seems like the price has been dropping $100 every other week.  I get close to buying; I back out last minute; I wait and it's in the Sunday flier for $100 less or they're offering some sort of package deal like I mentioned above.  My guess is that their prices are leveling off now and maybe they'll drop a little in the next month and change with football season already in full swing (whoever was going to buy, already did), new sets are coming out soon (the new Sony XBR is scheduled to arrive "any day") and the holiday season is right around the corner.  I just don't think I can wait that long...

As to the extended warranty, I usually beat the salesperson to the punch when I nix those, but almost everything I've read on these sets is that their biggest problem is pixel damage.  And, the cost of having it repaired is not too far off from what you would pay for a new set.  End result?  A very expensive paperweight.  The warranty pretty much covers everything under the sun, except for negligence.  If something happens and it's too expensive or can't be fixed, they give you a new comparable set for free.  Considering that a lot of these 3rd party sites are offering 5 year plans for a couple hundy for a 52 incher, it's kinda tough to pass it up.  The one the stores try to push on you for 500+ are impossible to swallow.  For a smaller set, you can probably get a similar plan for a little over a hundred.  When you factor in the likelihood of something happening over that timeframe, it makes the decision to get it much easier.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2008 at 11:09 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Spen

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 16:48 »

I got a Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 in January. I looked at a number of other sets but went with the Sony because I liked the way it looked and the price point for newer features (120hz) was lower.

So far I have enjoyed this set with no problems.

I looked into extended warrantys when I got this set and most sources stated that the price of an average repair was about the same as the price of an extended warranty.  
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2008 at 19:35 »

I got a Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 in January. I looked at a number of other sets but went with the Sony because I liked the way it looked and the price point for newer features (120hz) was lower.

So far I have enjoyed this set with no problems.

I looked into extended warrantys when I got this set and most sources stated that the price of an average repair was about the same as the price of an extended warranty.
I got the 52 inch version of your XBR in April....LOVIN' IT!

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 08:48 »

Vin - I bet Thursday night college football looks great on that thing!!!!!! :shit:  :shrugs:  :m16:  :frustrated:  :suicide:

I'm a marginal fair weather Buffs fan, but wanted to give you a hard time.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: