Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 19:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple TV/LCD questions  (Read 2710 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 08:59 »

Vin - I bet Thursday night college football looks great on that thing!!!!!! :shit:  :shrugs:  :m16:  :frustrated:  :suicide:

I'm a marginal fair weather Buffs fan, but wanted to give you a hard time.
There was a football game last night?

:bricks:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:13 »

Hey Vin,

I saw your QB is from Daphne, AL. That's where me and the Mrs. called home in the early 90s. Of course, PW was about 6 at the time, so I'd not heard of him.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 10:24 »

Hey Vin,

I saw your QB is from Daphne, AL. That's where me and the Mrs. called home in the early 90s. Of course, PW was about 6 at the time, so I'd not heard of him.
You are quite the world traveler Oat. His younger brother is a freshman QB for the Mountaineers now too....Maybe he should have thrown that double pass that fluttered harmlessly to the ground. :bang:

Still, I think, the Mountaineers did play better, especially on D. I see them 4-2 after the next three, then Auburn comes a callin'. 8-4 to 10-2 is still a distinct possibility.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Spen

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 15:50 »

I got the 52 inch version of your XBR in April....LOVIN' IT!
Me too. I messed with a bunch of settings for a few days, and havent touched them since. Thats rare for me. I am really enjoying it.  
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2008 at 22:26 »

Ran into some problems buying the new set.  Saw one of the new LED backlit LCDs on display.  All I could say was "amazing" (picture) and "damnit" (price tag).

*sigh*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 15:08 »

I've always been a Sony guy; the two current sets I have are Sony and even the two really old, small picture tubes in the kiddies rooms are Sony.  But, after reading everything I have for the last handful of months and seeing them in action, I don't see a difference.  Well, that is, until you look at the price tag.  Plus, the Circuit City near us was running a promo for a 52" 6 Series with a Samsung BluRay player for $2300.  

Finally bit the bullet last week and got the 52" Samsung 650 LCD.  I was doing everything I could to justify getting that new LED 9 series, but I couldn't get past the difference in price.  I could almost buy two 52" 650s (gotta admit that thought crossed my mind a coupla times too) for the price of one 9 series.

CC was running that same promotion again (TV+BluRay player for $2,299) so I marched over to Best Buy, who was running a 36 month, same as cash promotion for all Samsung purchases, got them to match and give me the promotion too.

After one week and change, I'm pretty happy.  Still messing with the settings some as I opted not to pay for the store "Calibration" add-on.  Really, I think that's the biggest bunch of crap.  300 beans to come out and "adjust the TVs settings to optimize picture quality?"  Ah, no thanks.  I'll give it a go myself, tyvm.

Didn't get the extended protection plan as discussed above.  Crazy how much they're asking for these sets. 

Crazy. 
Crazy. 
Crazy.

Around 30% of the purchase price of the damn set. 

For that new 9 series LED LCD I mentioned earlier, they want to nail you for 1K.  Oh, yeah.  That's no typo, guys.  Almost pulled a Mike Singletary and asked them to check my prostate while they were up there.

Still exploring those third party insurance options though.  I'm willin' to do a couple hundy, max., for a five year plan.

Anyway, highly, highly recommend this set for anyone who's thinkin' about gettin' a new one.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 15:10 by aj_law » Logged

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 16:42 »

What's your viewing distance?  Also, is that a 1080i or p?  I'm not familiar with those Samsungs.  Is it flat panel or projection? (I'm guessing flat panel)  If it's flat panel, do you have it on a stand or mounted?

If we ever get stupid enough to finish our basement, I'm going with a 1080P DLP projector with a 100 or 110 inch screen.  They go up to that size, so you can make it 50, 60, 100 or anything in between.  Those projectors have come a long way.  At 100 inches, the players on the screen would almost be life size.  That's what I'm talkin about!!!!!!!!! 

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 11:54 »

What's your viewing distance?  Also, is that a 1080i or p?  I'm not familiar with those Samsungs.  Is it flat panel or projection? (I'm guessing flat panel)  If it's flat panel, do you have it on a stand or mounted?

If we ever get stupid enough to finish our basement, I'm going with a 1080P DLP projector with a 100 or 110 inch screen.  They go up to that size, so you can make it 50, 60, 100 or anything in between.  Those projectors have come a long way.  At 100 inches, the players on the screen would almost be life size.  That's what I'm talkin about!!!!!!!!! 

1080p flat panel.  About 4" in depth (*snicker*).  The 8 series is only 2".  We've got it sitting on a stand on a TV console that we picked up for a couple hundred bucks.  I was going to wall mount it, but I didn't want to have to take down a mount when (if?) we move in the near future.  What's really amazing is how much bigger the room feels without a big set protruding out into the room.  The console table is about 18"-20" in depth so it's minimally intrusive and the TV sits all the way back near the wall.  Compared to what I had, it's practically invisible from the side.

Haven't had a chance to test out that 1080p resolution though as I haven't connected the BluRay player yet.  Waiting for the HDMI cables from monoprice.com.

Viewing distance is about 15 to 16 feet at the current house.  Having a bigger family room is pretty much #1 on the wish list for a new home though so I expect that to be further away in the future.

The picture is killer, man.  The room has a decent amount of natural light so there is some glare, but not enough to bother me.  If you've had a picture tube or DLP (I believe those screens are glossy, no?), there's not much of a difference so you should be used to it.  Plus, I think that screen helps to give a better angled picture as compared to the matte finish of the Sonys.  When I sit to the side, there's virtually no loss in picture clarity.  About the only thing that happens is it gets a tad bit brighter and just a teeny bit uh, snow~ier.  But, you've gotta be way off to the side to notice that difference.  Anywhere from center to 6' - 8' in either direction, at least, is a sharp picture.  And, I've tuned the settings, but I haven't really fine tuned them yet.

For 2K, you really get a good bang for your buck; especially when you consider that I paid a few hundred more than that 10 or 11 years ago for our monster 50" pre-HD projection TV that recently crapped out.

I've already planted the seed in the wife's brain about having a multi-monitor setup in the new place if the room is big enough.  The 52"-er in the center, flanked on each side by two smaller 32" or 37" sets.

Kinda like this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80120&d=1213118463 only bigger, obviously.

You can get those sets for around $500 each on the small side, closer to $1000 on the larger side.  That's still less than what I would've shelled out for the single 9 series.  Takes SuperFan to a whole 'nother level.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 12:57 »

I've already planted the seed in the wife's brain about having a multi-monitor setup in the new place if the room is big enough.  The 52"-er in the center, flanked on each side by two smaller 32" or 37" sets.

Otis' setup:  Chicks in Rubber, Nuthin' Butt Facials, Backdoor Bonanza!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 15:23 »

1080p flat panel.  About 4" in depth (*snicker*).  The 8 series is only 2".  We've got it sitting on a stand on a TV console that we picked up for a couple hundred bucks.  I was going to wall mount it, but I didn't want to have to take down a mount when (if?) we move in the near future.  What's really amazing is how much bigger the room feels without a big set protruding out into the room.  The console table is about 18"-20" in depth so it's minimally intrusive and the TV sits all the way back near the wall.  Compared to what I had, it's practically invisible from the side.

Haven't had a chance to test out that 1080p resolution though as I haven't connected the BluRay player yet.  Waiting for the HDMI cables from monoprice.com.

Viewing distance is about 15 to 16 feet at the current house.  Having a bigger family room is pretty much #1 on the wish list for a new home though so I expect that to be further away in the future.

The picture is killer, man.  The room has a decent amount of natural light so there is some glare, but not enough to bother me.  If you've had a picture tube or DLP (I believe those screens are glossy, no?), there's not much of a difference so you should be used to it.  Plus, I think that screen helps to give a better angled picture as compared to the matte finish of the Sonys.  When I sit to the side, there's virtually no loss in picture clarity.  About the only thing that happens is it gets a tad bit brighter and just a teeny bit uh, snow~ier.  But, you've gotta be way off to the side to notice that difference.  Anywhere from center to 6' - 8' in either direction, at least, is a sharp picture.  And, I've tuned the settings, but I haven't really fine tuned them yet.

For 2K, you really get a good bang for your buck; especially when you consider that I paid a few hundred more than that 10 or 11 years ago for our monster 50" pre-HD projection TV that recently crapped out.

Kinda like this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80120&d=1213118463 only bigger, obviously.

You can get those sets for around $500 each on the small side, closer to $1000 on the larger side.  That's still less than what I would've shelled out for the single 9 series.  Takes SuperFan to a whole 'nother level.

DLP's do have more glare, but I have shades on the windows that would interfere with my viewing.  I actually leave the shades up unless I'm wathcing the Steelers, so it isn't too bad.  My viewing spot is the best (least amount of glare) so the kids always want to close the shades.

I know price is a steep slope as the sets, especially flat panels, get bigger, but if the viewing distance is more than 15 or 16 feet, you'll be squinting to see that puppy.  I'm at 12 or 13 feet, and 56 inches would be perfect for me.  I have a 52", and it certainly does the job, but 56" would be perfect.

I have a low end (Vizio) 1080i LCD flat panel in the bedroom and the picture starts to get "more white" when off center.  I know that effect on better TV's is minimal compared to the Viz.  A mountable flat panel (tv's Otis) would be nice just to get it at what ever height you want it.

Sounds good AJ.  Nothing like getting a killer HD set.  I can think of three shows I watch regularly that aren't HD.  Biggest Loser, Amazing Race, and re-runs of King of Queens on a local network.  Come Feb, it's all good.

I still just have the upconverting DVD player.  I paid about $300 for it 3 years ago, so I can't quite ditch it yet.  BUT, don't know if MGS'ers out there use Netflix (which I do) because I read an article over the weekend that Netflix is teaming up with TiVo and two Blu-Ray manufacturers, LG and maybe Samsung, where the players are "Netflix" capable, so if you subscribe to that service, the movies are sent wirelessly (I think) to your player from Netflix.  Not exactly sure how it works, but I need to check into it.  No more mailing, or planning for a couple of days in mail time.  Instantaneous.  I think even Mrs BV would be on board with that.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: