Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 21:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the computer-geeks here?  (Read 615 times)
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« on: Sep 12, 2008 at 22:08 »

I finally pried open my wallet, & sprung for a new computer.  Figured it was time to upgrade.  Ol' Bessie is now sitting in the corner of my den.  Like me, she's old, broken down, doesn't move too fast, & occasionally does whackey stuff for no apparent reason.  But I hate to just toss her in the trash.

The hardware appears OK, so I think the software is just all corrupted & chock-full of crap.  My IT dude offered to scrub down the hard drive for me & I'm giving some thought to reloading it with something different, just to see what its like.  Any suggestions?

I'm leaning toward trying the FreeBSD OS, 'cause its just that,... free.  From what I see, it appears to be one of the more reliable systems and will operate both UNIX & LINUX programs.  Anybody here have experience with it?  I'd also like to hear any other recommendations you might have.

The goal is to build a computer, with the most functionality, while spending as little as possible.  I'd also like to use little or no Microsoft stuff, so I'd also appreciate any programming suggestions (Open Office, Mozilla, Lotus Symphony, etc.)

Thanks,
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2008 at 22:10 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 10:05 »

I have Linux (Fedora 9) on my comp, and I couldn't be happier. There are no viruses, spywear, or annoying license prompts for every program you have. You can get OpenOffice, which is a free (and better IMO) Microsoft word, Firefox would be your browser (kick ass), and you can download any number of programs for music (I'd recommend Amorak).

The only issue is trying to find some tech support if you encounter a problem. Also, you have to familiarize yourself with the lingo. For example if you want a new program you open up a terminal and write something along the lines of, "Sudo Yum program name." It can get tough; I had a hell of a time configuring my wireless card...

But overall it's a great OS. It's got some really cool features and it's easy to navigate.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 10:56 »

About 6 or 7 years ago I played around with Red Hat and got an older box running just fine on my home LAN.  In the end though I still use MS stuff.  It takes a level of commitment to run Linux, FreeBSD and such.

I do use OpenOffice on my MS PC.  It's great, no reason whatsoever to use anything else.  Big fan of Open Source software.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 20:40 »

I had already downloaded Open Office on the new PC because it only came with MS Works.  The guys at the computer stores said that Microsoft doesn't license Office for new PC's anymore, because they want everyone to pay for the good stuff.  Thats actually what prompted the "MS Free" part of the project.

Open Office seems fine so far.  I've had no problems opening, or modifying, any of my old Word or Excel files.  I haven't had need to check out OO's version of Powerpoint yet to see how it'll do.  I'm not too sure how much call I'll have for the Open Office versions of MS's Access, Publisher, or Equation Editor.

I've used Firefox for some time even though I have Internet Explorer installed.  It just seem to work better.  I haven't figured out the difference between using a Firefox/Thunderbird combo vesus the SeaMonkey suite.

I can't say that I've heard much of Fedora.  I was looking primarily at either FreeBSD or Ubunto.  But the more I read about Ubunto, the more I like.  Anybody have any experience with it?
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2008 at 07:13 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2008 at 21:44 »

Another great thing about Open Office is that you can save your documents to be opened in MS Word and PowerPoint. I have to email my professors assignments all the time, so it works out great for me.

I don't have any experience with Ubunto, but I've heard nothing but good things. My mom actually has it on her laptop, and she seems to like it.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: