Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 20:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Camp  (Read 3918 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 10:57 »

I tried to find the article that mentioned Stone hoping to get picked up off of waivers but the Scranton paper had pulled the on-line article.

I like Kennedy's style of play...didn't read the terms of the deal.

Does Biss actually have a shot to stay on the team?  I didn't think he'd last beyond the 2nd cuts but he's still there.  The recent P-G article on Biss suggests a few inside the org. believe he could wind up on the final roster.  Crazy.  I don't know where he would play.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 11:47 »

Between starting off the season in Sweden, which I think is the dumbest idea the NHL has come up with yet and losing two defensemen for what appears to be a significant amount of time is not the greatest way to start off the season.  IMO, there is no difference if your losing games in October or if your losing them in February.  They all count in the end.  The points lost or gained in the beginning of the season could mean the difference between getting home ice advantage or going on the road.  They could mean the difference when it comes to who your first round opponent happens to be and they could mean the difference when it comes to making the playoffs at all.  Add that to the fact that we play in a division where three out of the other four teams made the playoffs last season.

When it comes to losing grit on the top two lines, I'm not seeing many teams who have a fighter on one of the top two lines.  Normally your top two lines are stacked with talent.  I do not recall Detroit having a fighter/heavy hitter on the top two lines.  Eitherway, if teams want to play us physical or throw down, we respond by sicking Godard and Cooke on them.  That's not counting the hits Letang, Orpik and Gill are capable of laying down on people when needed or the option of calling up that redwood tree named Joey Mormina (6'6") if needed.  IMO, we are fine in the physical play department...

Godard Compilation:

Godard vs Boogard:

Godard vs Bolton:

Matt Cooke:

Joey Mormina:

Joey Mormina:
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2008 at 11:50 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 12:05 »

Also...

Penguins cut two to reduce active roster
Saturday, September 27, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins reduced their active roster to 25 by cutting two players

today.

Forward Connor James and defenseman Danny Richmond were assigned to

their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre.

The Penguins must remove one more player from their roster by Friday.

Players still on the NHL payroll include:

Forwards -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Pascal Dupuis, Jordan Staal,

Petr Sykora, Janne Pesonen, Jeff Taffe, Matt Cooke, Max Talbot, Ruslan

Fedotenko, Eric Godard, Tyler Kennedy, Paul Bissonnette, Miroslav Satan

and Bill Thomas.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08271/915686-100.stm

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2008 at 16:01 »

And scratch Gonchar being out for a "significant amount of time" and replace it with "probably out for the whole regular season".  

Yeah, nothing positive can come from that situation.  We lost the QB at the point on our PP, our most offensive threat on defense and a guy who played an excellent defense last season.  Shero might have to make a move for a defenseman.  It's not that we are short on d-men, but I'm not liking our replacements for reasons already stated above.  Eitherway, I don't see Shero making a move for one, he seems content with an over the hill Sydor who we couldn't give away during this offseason and young/raw Goligoski.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2008 at 16:17 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 20:02 »

Pens Cut Pesonen, Finalize Roster
Pittsburgh Penguins
Oct 3, 2008, 1:44 PM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins will have a 24-man roster for season-opening games on Saturday and Sunday against the Ottawa Senators at the Globe Arena in Stockholm.

Forward Janne Pesonen has been assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL). He will remain in Stockholm with Pittsburgh through the weekend before reporting to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Pesonen scored two points (one goal, one assist) in three preseason contests for the Penguins.

The 24-man roster for the Bridgestone NHL Premiere games includes 14 forwards, seven defensemen and three goaltenders.

The roster includes forwards, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Petr Sykora, Miroslav Satan, Ruslan Fedotekno, Matt Cooke, Max Talbot, Tyler Kennedy, Pascal Dupuis, Eric Godard, Jeff Taffe, Bill Thomas and Paul Bissonnette; defensemen Brooks Orpik, Rob Scuderi, Hal Gill, Mark Eaton, Darryl Sydor, Kris Letang and Alex Goligoski; and goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury, Dany Sabourin and John Curry.

The Penguins and Senators open the NHL regular season with back-to-back games in Stockholm. Starting time for both games will be 2:30 p.m. Pittsburgh time.

Both games from Sweden will be televised locally by FSN Pittsburgh, with Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey calling the action. On the radio side, Mike Lange and Bourque will call the games on 105.9 The X and the Penguins radio network. For complete coverage of the trip, including video reports, please log on to www.pittsburghpenguin s.com.

The Penguins will open Mellon Arena on Saturday, October 4 so that fans can watch the Pens take on the Senators in Sweden on the arena Jumbotron.

Admission is free. Complimentary parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis in all Mellon Arena lots. Concession stands and PenStation, the official team store of the Penguins, will be open. Fans may enter Mellon Arena via Gate 1 located along Centre Avenue beginning at 11:30 am.

There will not be a watch party on Sunday.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2008 at 20:10 »

While I'm not shocked by the decision, I'm not sure I agree with it completely.  With Sykora possibly missing the opener, why not keep him up and play him on the right wing like they did the other night where he grabbed an assist?

Eitherway, I'm sure he will be back up by the end of December and I wouldn't be surprised to him playing next to Crosby and Satan.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2008 at 21:29 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: