Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 04:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weakness unaddressed  (Read 797 times)
altimusprime
N00b

« on: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:35 »

The D let us down late last year, but it had a lot to do with Smith and Troy being absent or less than healthy.

The main problem of this team was the poor play of the o-line.

It was not addressed this off-season.

Sure, it was a good thing that we took the best players available in the draft instead of taking offensive linemen for the sake of taking offensive linemen.

We could have scrub OL-men or Sweed, Mendenhall, etc.

But the fact remains, we did NOTHING to address the GLARING and OBVIOUS  weakness that is the O-line.

Why is that?

Were there no O-linemen available through FA? Could we have not traded up in the draft? I don't know. Maybe not.

I have no answers, only questions.

But shouldn't a franchise as powerful and wealthy as the Steelers have found a way to address such a gaping hole in an otherwise contending tram?

If they could fix the OL, they could be in the Super Bowl mix.

They have enough D to contend for the SB (although it's a little disturbing that a good qb can still pick apart this secondary). They have a QB, WR's and RB that could contend for a SB.

They knew going into the offseason that the biggest hole was the O-line and they did nothing to address that.

Is that on Tomlin, ownership or the GM?

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 12:40 »

Partly the GM, partly bad luck.  Its easy to say they should have done X, but sometimes in the draft or in FA doing X just isn't possible.  You may want to sign a guy, but he may not want to come here.  You may want to draft an OL, but if all potential round 1 and round 2 OLmen are all drafted before your first puck, than that is also bad luck.

I would add that I think Tomlin's and Ben's words of support for the OL during the offseason are no more than coachspeak designed to give them a moral boost.  I don't think either even vaguely believes what they were saying.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 15:00 »

We can't say the FO did absolutely nothing...they did get an upgrade (of sorts) at center by ditching Mahan for Hartwig.  The FO just did ALMOST nothing.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Hercules50!
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 03:13 »

The O-Line has been a problem for several years. We've done nothing about it, though we've had our opportunities in the draft.

In 2005, we picked a TE we never throw to, and we could have drafted all-pro G Logan Mankins (taken two picks later).

In 2006, we picked Santonio, when we could have picked any one of C Nick Mangold, T Winston Justice, or T Marcus McNeill. Santonio is a very good receiver, and not a pick that you could really criticize, but with the shambles the line is in, having good receivers is a waste of money.

In 2007, we picked Timmons, now our nickel LB, when we could have picked G Ben Grubbs, who's started immediately and performed well for the Ravens.

IN ADDITION: we have bottom-of-the-barrell talent at Offensive Coordinator and O-Line coach.

Bottom Line: All of the above decisions fall in the lap of our GM, Colbert. He's done some good things in his time here, but it's time for him to go.  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 06:08 »

but with the shambles the line is in, having good receivers is a waste of money.

Those are some pretty good arguments, Herc.  I like Holmes, but we had just won a Super Bowl with Hines Ward and a bunch of guys who aren't exactly all-pro material.  ARE had two TD catches the entire season.  Not to mention that FA receivers are a dime a dozen, and we probably don't have the bank to sign Holmes long-term.

I'll throw in another one:  Baker down in Atlanta was considered a "reach" by many of us at 1.23.  In fact, a lot of people said he was a reach where ATL picked him.  But word is that he has looked great down there as a rookie starter.  Maybe it wouldn't have been such a reach after all.

But, spilled milk.  Just got to figure out what to do now with the guys we have, and part of that answer would be to design a decent GAME PLAN.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50!
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 08:04 »

But, spilled milk. Just got to figure out what to do now with the guys we have, and part of that answer would be to design a decent GAME PLAN.

Thanks, Preach, and your bottom line is the soundest advice. Here's hoping they will find ways to adjust.

Quicker passes, max protection, and running the ball more.

The D is clearly playoff caliber. It would be a disappointment if the offense, with all the skill position talent, keeps this team from competing for a Super Bowl in a year when the typical elite teams are non-contenders.  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 08:04 »

The problem with Miller and Holmes isn't Miller and Holmes.  It's the OC.  Sometimes he remembers WTF he's sposed to be doing, sometimes not (Sunday).  Had we bolstered the lines and had no "talent" players to utilize, we'd be bitching about that.  

Still and all, we've had some notorious flubs and you can fill in coulda wouldas in hindsight.

Take comfort from the fact that while we may see some turnover next year, we should for the first time in a long time have more cap space to sign guys, a step up from the Mahans and Hartwigs of the world.   Not sure how much that is, but last year it was projected at ~$63M.  We've had some rookie deals and extensions since then, but no mega-deals.  

Ready to go shopping???

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 09:03 »

... Not sure how much that is, but last year it was projected at ~$63M.  We've had some rookie deals and extensions since then, but no mega-deals.  

Ready to go shopping???
You mean we can upgrade from bologna and hot dogs to some prime cuts?  Can't wait to get grilling.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 09:36 »

Well, BSG's 2009 numbers are badly in need of updating, and I can't find a good estimate elsewhere, but considering that we didn't extend a score of players, and will have some deals coming off the books (*cough, STARKS, cough*), my guesstimate is that we might be moving from beef jerky to some nice NY strips very soon.

UNLESS WE FRANCHISE TAG SOME FUCKING BACKUP NEXT YEAR.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 10:04 »

NO MORE ROADKILL!!!
NO MORE ROADKILL!!!
NO MORE ROADKILL!!!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 11:12 »

Ready to go shopping???
SING TIE LAW!!11
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008 at 11:12 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: