Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 07:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempt at 1st half drives review  (Read 707 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 24, 2008 at 22:25 »

Kiddies were in bed early and wifey's sick in bed.  So, I see the Steelers/Eagles game sittin' there in my playlist so I decide to subject myself to the pain again.  I decide that I'll try to chronicle some detail from each possession to help figure out who (what?) was the biggest culprit for their poor play.  I was gonna do the whole game, but I got tired, a little bored, then tired again, so I only did the first half.

Here goes.

My recording feed picked up at about 9:30 left of the first quarter due to Gints/Bungles running late.

First drive
1st and 10 - Double TE formation.  BR drops back and only 4 rush.  Line holds well and a pass to Miller gets them 9 yards.
2nd and 1 - Single RB/2 WR/2 TE set.  BR hands off to Willie who takes it middle/left.  Smith blocks down on DT and DE gets through Miller's inside shoulder into the backfield.  Willie fights to get back to LOS.  Kemo standing around, doesn't block a soul, apparently looking for his lost dog.
3rd and 2 - Shotgun/4WR(tight).  Seven defenders line up and come, but somebody is offsides.  Auto first.

1st and 10 - 1 RB/Trip WR left.  Eagles bring 4 defenders.  BR drops back and has some time and hits Holmes for gain of 16.

1st and 10 - 1 RB/3 WR/1 TE.  Eagles come with 7 on delayed blitz, but BR tosses a quick strike down the LOS to Holmes who had cushion from his DB.  He gains 6.
2nd and 4 - 1 RB/Trips right.  PAP that kinda freezes what looked like 6 defenders coming.  BR has some time and makes a quick throw, but it goes INC.
3rd and 4 - Shotgun/4 WR/1 RB.  Eagles rush 3 with 1 trailing.  BR has a little time, does some improvisation, pumps a few times then completes to Ward for 1st down.

1st and 10 - 3 TE/1RB/1WR (wonder what's comin'?).  Looked like it was intended to be an off tackle run with a pulling OC.  Defense was comin' kinda hard with 6.  Kinda got into the backfield and disrupted the play and stretched it out.  Defense runs him down from behind for 1 yard loss.
2nd and 11 - 3WR/1RB.  BR drops back and has a little time.  5 step drop and releases to Nate for 17.  Sorta had to skip around in the pocket and did almost a hop pass thing.  He wasn't hit though.

1st and 10 - Offset eye/3WR(one is Miller who motions down to block.  Run to WP OT left for 6.
2nd and 4 - Eye formation/double WR right.  Ward motions to left stacked on TE.  5 defenders on the line with a 6th delayed.  Good look for PAP, but run ends up being busted in backfield.  Lotta pressure.
3rd and 4 - Shotgun/trips right/1RB - snap to BR who wasn't looking but he gets the handle.  6 defenders on the line and they all come.  A DB comes through clean and gets hand on BR and flushes him out.  He scrambles a bit, eludes the pressure and wisely throws it away.  Reed FG.

To this point, I think the offense has actually looked OK.  There were a few miscommunications and missed assignments, but the plays seemed to be quicker developing.  There was some pressure up front, but they did an OK job handling it.  When defense only rushed 4 (which wasn't often), the line held up well.  Major accomplishment there.

*eye roll*

(To be continued)

Let me know if anyone is interested in the rest of the first half.  I'm wiped out and can barely see straight.  I'll finish tomorrow night if someone sends me $37 in unmarked, non-sequential bills.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 00:59 »

Let me know if anyone is interested in the rest of the first half.  I'm wiped out and can barely see straight.  I'll finish tomorrow night if someone sends me $37 in unmarked, non-sequential bills.
Do you take pennies?
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 11:11 »

Let me know if anyone is interested in the rest of the first half.  I'm wiped out and can barely see straight.  I'll finish tomorrow night if someone sends me $37 in unmarked, non-sequential bills.
Do you take pennies?
Sure, those minted in 1943 are preferred.  Thanks.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 11:59 »

I have to say that after watching the first half again (with much of it in slo-mo), I think a lot, if not most, of the protection issues came from missed assignments.

Basically, there weren't many plays where a defender flat out beat a lineman.  There was one play, close to halftime, where a LB managed to bull rush Smith and collapse the pocket.  However, most of their problems came from deception on the part of the defense (which guys are coming?) and then, stemming from that, who picks up who when they do rush.  All to often, it seemed like a lineman would get caught looking in the wrong direction or would expect help and didn't get it.

Now, I guess that's both good and bad.  

Good, in that I didn't see much of what I noticed a lot last year with Mahan where he had a lot of trouble manning up on one defender and keeping him in check.  For the most part, I didn't see anybody getting overpowered and needing help with one guy.  So, if it's a matter of "getting guys on the same page" and working better as a unit, then I kinda put that at the feet of the front five group and coaches; particularly Zierlein and to a lesser extent, Arians and Tomlin.

That's kind of a good segway into the bad.  These guys have been playing together for quite some time now (Hartwig excepted).  Even Kemo, who hasn't been a starter, I assume has gotten a lot of looks with this group and at the very least, has been in the system for awhile.  So, really there's no excuse for a guy totally missing his assignment.  They need to work harder, longer and take it fucking personally when their QB is getting lit up.

As Smith (I think) said before the Texans game, that group was pissed about all the shit they were getting in the media and boy it showed in their play against Houston.  They need that same drive, focus and determination this week or else Ben is in for a long (or maybe short) night.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2008 at 12:03 by aj_law » Logged

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 12:12 »

AJ - FYI on the NFL ticket feed.  The Steeler game on the HD channel was pre-empted by the Bungal game, however, the SD feed showed the Steeler game from the beginning.  I don't understand it, but that is the case.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 12:54 »

AJ - FYI on the NFL ticket feed.  The Steeler game on the HD channel was pre-empted by the Bungal game, however, the SD feed showed the Steeler game from the beginning.  I don't understand it, but that is the case.
Good to know, sir.  Too bad I set the recording earlier in the morning and never went back to check.

As an out of market subscriber, whenever that happens during a nationally televised game, I just change back to the DTV channel they're supposed to be on (i.e. 704-716 or whatever) and they usually flip the switch and broadcast it there.  

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 13:48 »

AJ - FYI on the NFL ticket feed.  The Steeler game on the HD channel was pre-empted by the Bungal game, however, the SD feed showed the Steeler game from the beginning.  I don't understand it, but that is the case.
Good to know, sir.  Too bad I set the recording earlier in the morning and never went back to check.

As an out of market subscriber, whenever that happens during a nationally televised game, I just change back to the DTV channel they're supposed to be on (i.e. 704-716 or whatever) and they usually flip the switch and broadcast it there.
Yeah they usually do that, but on Sunday they didn't.  BASTARDS!

And on top of that, when they finally did cut to the Steelers game, it was only broadcasting in SD for a good 5 minutes.  I was pretty damn pissed by the time it finally switched over to HD.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 15:47 »

I don't understand why (OK I probably do) when tuned to the channel of a late game, the game isn't shown at it's scheduled start time.  The answer to that is they know who is "out of market" for particular games and make you watch the early game(s) in their entirety before switching over.  The part that doesn't make sense is that the SD feed did have the Steeler game at kickoff.

I set mine up to record on Friday, camping all weekend, happened to come home and for some reason wanted to make sure it was going to be on that channel.  When it wasn't I checked the SD, for the heck of it, and it was there.  After the HD feed went to the Steeler game, I finished my post camping duties before watching the rest of the game.  I could have recorded the SD, and should have since my eyes were burning watching the SD but didn't.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 15:48 »

AJ - FYI on the NFL ticket feed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: