Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 17:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 401k? I don't need no steenking 401k...  (Read 1769 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 09:31 »

SS certainly won't allow me to continue any kind of lifestyle I desire, but in today's dollars, if you were currently retired and getting $1000 per month, that is a nice extra chunk of change.  My idea of retirement is not having a mortgage payment, not paying for daycare, obviously, no credit card debt, and a maximum of one installment loan (house repairs, car pmt, etc).  Having said that, if I'm not driving to work every day, going out to lunch occasionally, and whatever else, I figure I can still do some traveling and have a decent lifestyle at 3,000 per month.  That actually sounds like a lot.  If 1/3 of that is SS, then that is decent.  Certainly not what it was envisioned to be back in the day.  The X factor is will ther be anything left after the boomers.

Privitization?  I worry about the privater sector bilking the piss out of it.  Someone will gladly take it over and manage it, with 75% of the funds going to administrative costs.

Current market - Buy low baby!!!!!!!!

I have an annuity through an insurance company (hybrid life insurance and annuity wrapped together) that was kicking the crap out of my 401K, before last week.  Might look at throwing some more money at it.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2008 at 09:33 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: