Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 12:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pens acquire Zigomanis  (Read 2449 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Oct 09, 2008 at 15:57 »

Penguins acquire forward Zigomanis from Phoenix
Thursday, October 09, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have acquired forward Mike Zigomanis from Phoenix for considerations.

Zigomanis, 27, split last season between the Coyotes and San Antonio of the American Hockey League. In 33 games with Phoenix, he had two goals and an assist; he had 10 goals and 15 assists in 27 games with the AHL Rampage.

Zigomanis (6 foot 1, 195 pounds) was selected by Buffalo in the first round of the 1999 entry draft, but re-entered the draft in 2001 and was claimed by Carolina in the second round.

Zigomanis, who can kill penalties, has 19 goals and 14 assists in 167 career games with Phoenix and Carolina.

Also, center Jeff Taffe cleared waivers and was assigned to the Penguins' farm team in Wilkes-Barre.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08283/918755-100.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2008 at 16:13 »

Solid signing for a team that lacks quality face-off men.  The guy ranked seventh in the NHL with a 56.2% face-off percentage.  Not a bad and not a great penalty killer.  He's only making $650,000 and is a UFA at the end of the season.  Typical Shero move.

While he will not put up Sid/Malkin numbers, he's a quality depth signing and will look good on a fourth line in my opinion.  An overall smart signing in my opinion.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 13:14 »

Looks like Zigomanis will fill the void left by Adam Hall. Hopefully he can be somewhat of an upgrade. I thought Hall served his purpose but was rather average in doing so. If Zigomanis can play even a little above average it will be an upgrade. I still don't understand the Taffe demotion. Not that Taffe will be missed all that much, but even with the addition of Zigomanis, the roster is still short a player or two. Not to mention the loss of Sykora for who knows how long.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 02:48 »

He's looking pretty damn good up to this point.  Scored a goal and is 14-5 (73.7%) on faceoffs.

I'm more concerned with not being able to find Sid a LW.  Fedotenko has already been demoted.  While Dupuis scored the OT goal, I can't count how many times Sid set him up and he failed to either put it away or take the pass cleanly.  Personally, I can't blame Fedotenko or Dupuis, they are both third line wingers and good ones at that in my opinion.  Pessonen might be back up here sooner rather than later.

I'm still going to be patient with Satan, but much like at the beginning of the season, I still feel there were better options out there for RW's to play next to Sid.  Eitherway, up to this point, minus scoring a PP goal, Satan hasn't shown me shit.  Hopefully they start gelling.  They may want to start right now.  I keep hearing that "it's early in the season".  Unfortunately, last time I checked, the points you either gain or lose in the beginning of the season all add up at the end of the season.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 06:53 »

IMO: Miro Satan = Ziggy Palffy

Both washed up. Both have a lack of motivation. The Pens hoped/are hoping they re-energize their careers. I disliked the Satan signing from the start and new that Fedotenko wouldn't last on Sid's line. Finding someone to play with Sid is becoming a yearly ritual and Sid deserves better. I can't fault the FO on losing Hossa but I can point a finger for passing on certain players and settling for Satan. It's early but Naslund is playing well, Huselius has a couple goals and Ryder is off to a good start.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 07:43 »

Totally agree here. The FO's number one job should be to find Sid a finisher. We lost Hossa, whatever, that doesn't mean you have to trot a bunch of has been's a never-was's out there.

And I'm not advocating breaking the bank, signing a 7 million dollar winger, but Jesus, get a guy with some hands who can finish and has some upside. Satan is like an old man out there. Fedotenko does not belong anywhere near the top two lines. Dupuis has had more setups from Sid bounce off his stick harmlessly since he's been here than I can count.

Problem is, how do we aquire one? Next offseason or deadline deal? We can't keep giving up draftpicks. And for all the talk about the surplus of defensemen we had, we can't afford to lose another one.

On the plus side we get to watch Geno make Alex his bitch tonight.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 09:51 »

I've been Satan's #1 advocate here. and I'm not about to back off now.  We're 4 games in, folks.  Give it at least 25, and then we can start talking deadline deals. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 10:10 »

I've been Satan's #1 advocate here. and I'm not about to back off now.  We're 4 games in, folks.  Give it at least 25, and then we can start talking deadline deals. 

Hope you're right. I'm not one of those "the sky is falling" types, especially 4 games into a hockey season. I realize how long it took this team to find a grooze last year.

But it doesn't change the fact that I look at this roster,and besides Sid and Geno, I see a whole bunch of blah.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2008 at 23:55 »

I think its a sad state of affairs when Dupuis is playing on a first line, let alone beside the greatest player in the world and the team that i follow on a regular basis.

Im ok with Satan, think he will put up decent numbers, dupuis will be lucky to break 10 goals through May.

lines 1/2 are going to be fine even with that runt playing on Sid's line, but god help us if Sid or Geno go down any length of time.  the 3rd and 4th lines are absolute garbage.

guess i got a little OT there.  Listened to the radio PBP the other night and the 2 niner was splooging all over the booth about Zigomanis' FO skills.  its been such a very long time coming that we had any consistent FO man.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2008 at 23:58 by jackSplat58 » Logged

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2008 at 01:11 »

IMO: Miro Satan = Ziggy Palffy

Did you see the opportunity he missed at the beginning of the third period of the Caps games?  Christ ol' mighty.  Beautifully setup and he bumbled the pass.  It's not as if it was a complex play from Sid or anything like that, it was a routine setup, Satan was wide open and untouched.  Godard could have put it away, or at least got it on net.  It was unbelievable.

And Merman, I'm thinking deadline deal.  That's if we want to make a deep playoff run this season.  Or we can continue to watch teams in our division get better and better.  The Rangers are a new and improved team.  The Flyers actually have their defense back.  New Jersey is always a pain in the ass for our boys.  Who knows what Shero is willing to trade?  Some keep saying it's impossible that he would trade (Insert Name Here) during this upcoming trade deadline, but this is a guy who traded Christensen, Armstrong, Esposito and a first round pick for Hossa and Dupuis in order to get that extra push. 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: