Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 02:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10,000... 9,000... 8,000...  (Read 667 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 10, 2008 at 11:14 »

It's just great watching my retirement funds shrink day by day. 

Why worry about Obama's capital gains tax increase?  Ain't gonna be anything left soon.

Welcome to the Depression, kids.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:10 »

New York state is going to take a torch to the education budget.  I'm still 3 years from tenure.  It might be time soon to break out the ole shoe shine box again, I fear.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:20 »

It is really great to watch V.J.'s college savings fund drop from a high of $13,000+ to now at $7600 and dropping. Really makes things interesting.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 12:31 »

It's OK, I never really expected to live off my retirement fund anyway.  I'm still banking on having some rich, as-yet unknown relative who will croak and leave me independently wealthy.  It seemed like a crazy plan until recently.

I know conventional wisdom says that the market will bounce back, and that there will come a point where investing wisely will be buying at the ultimate low, and score the ultimate market gain.  Question is, where's the bottom to all this?  When does it get back to prior levels?  Not even 14K but even 11, 12, 13? 

I actually have two retirement funds, one I no longer contribute to.  I was seeing consistent growth, out-performing the market, and it's just shot to fuck.  I haven't calculated the percentage loss, but it's pretty much what you'd figure from the markets.  Nice to see that it's lower than when I stopped contributing now.  Seeing thousands of dollars lost, albeit paper money, just makes me happier than a squirrel in a blender.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 14:40 »

It's OK, I never really expected to live off my retirement fund anyway.  I'm still banking on having some rich, as-yet unknown relative who will croak and leave me independently wealthy.  It seemed like a crazy plan until recently.

Until recently ...

when Finny started Googling the Wake family name for octogenarian former lawyers and stock brokers who've started taking meds for dementia and recently moved to retirement homes.  The plan solidifies - he'll break out the mezmerizing Gingrich Jacket and show up unannounced with the estate papers ...
and a pen ...
and a gun.

*cue noire music theme*

It's a sad tale of greed, murder and the darker side of human nature.  Hitchcock Theatre presents ...

Dr.  Hackemof
or
How to Stop Worrying and Love the Depression!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2008 at 14:49 »

LOFL...   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: