Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 05:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward Broke Rivers' Jaw  (Read 2695 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 23:30 »

the beauty of that play was you could actually see Ward coming into the picture as Spaeth of all people was heading up the sidelines and you knew what was coming.  the entire steelers/bengals sidelines, every fan in the stadium, and every single viewer saw it coming as well.  But for some odd reason Rivers decided to fix his gaze upon "fast" Matt Spaeth and his world class speed...Then BOOM!  Instant bobble head for Rivers.

yeah Hines will get fined no doubt and Troy will get a "see we told you so" letter

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 00:20 »

yeah Hines will get fined no doubt and Troy will get a "see we told you so" letter

Hell, at the pace Goodell is going I have to wonder if there is a suspension on the horizon for Ward.  It could possibly be his third fine for what the league all of a sudden considers 'playing too rough'.  Time to make an example?  Eric Smith?

At this point, I wouldn't doubt it and nothing would surprise me.

What Ward had to say post-game....

"I didn't do anything illegal," Ward said repeatedly after the Steelers' 38-10 trouncing of the Cincinnati Bengals

"I didn't do anything illegal," Ward said. "After I hit him, I just kept running down the sideline. It's no different than somebody getting a sack and putting their hand up and being excited because they hit somebody. If they fine me, I don't now. I didn't get a flag on that one, either. The way things have been going, I might get another fine, I don't know.

"I'm just going to continue playing. I'm not doing anything illegal. It was a clean hit on the guy. I wasn't taunting him. I just got excited and ran down our sideline. If that's a fine, you can fine everybody in this league after they make a great play."

"The defense kept saying, 'We're going to hit you,'" Ward said. "Well, I know you guys are going to hit me. I'm not going to wait around until you hit me. I'd be stupid to wait around for one of those guys. I was just playing hard. He had a helmet on. It was a clean hit. I didn't get penalized for it.

"I'm not going to change the way I play this game. The way I play this game, it brings an attitude to our team, it gets us going. I'm not going to change my style of play."

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008 at 00:30 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 00:38 »

Hell, at the pace Goodell is going I have to wonder if there is a suspension on the horizon for Ward.  It could possibly be his third fine for what the league all of a sudden considers 'playing too rough'.  Time to make an example?  Eric Smith?

At this point, I wouldn't doubt it and nothing would surprise me.

What Ward had to say post-game....

"I didn't do anything illegal," Ward said repeatedly after the Steelers' 38-10 trouncing of the Cincinnati Bengals

"I didn't do anything illegal," Ward said. "After I hit him, I just kept running down the sideline. It's no different than somebody getting a sack and putting their hand up and being excited because they hit somebody. If they fine me, I don't now. I didn't get a flag on that one, either. The way things have been going, I might get another fine, I don't know.

"I'm just going to continue playing. I'm not doing anything illegal. It was a clean hit on the guy. I wasn't taunting him. I just got excited and ran down our sideline. If that's a fine, you can fine everybody in this league after they make a great play."

"The defense kept saying, 'We're going to hit you,'" Ward said. "Well, I know you guys are going to hit me. I'm not going to wait around until you hit me. I'd be stupid to wait around for one of those guys. I was just playing hard. He had a helmet on. It was a clean hit. I didn't get penalized for it.

"I'm not going to change the way I play this game. The way I play this game, it brings an attitude to our team, it gets us going. I'm not going to change my style of play."

it will be a fucking shame if Ward or any player for that matter gets suspended for a clean hit.  even that guy getting suspended for jackin up Bolden is bullshit.  what makes it bullshit is assholes like Chris Henry is still playing and there IS EVEN debate on whether pacman jones gets welcomed back into the league.  How is a blind side block any different than a blindsided QB sack??

Guys get jacked up on kickoffs all the time and I have never recalled anyone getting a fine for a textbook block.  what Ward did was no different than anyone else imo.

pussy league indeed!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 08:05 »

That's right, #86.  Just keep doin' what you do.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 08:42 »

"I'm not doing anything illegal; it was a clean hit,'' Ward said. "I didn't stand over the guy or anything. ... We'll see. I'm not going to change my ways. If they're going to keep fining me for that, then I'm going to get fined all year.''

That's it Hines!  STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!

I wonder if Plex will lay any blocks like that next Sunday?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 18:27 »

and there IS EVEN debate on whether pacman jones gets welcomed back into the league.

Oh, you haven't heard?  Pacman has entered rehab.  I'm sure that will do the trick.  He will still get another pass after this one because he still has the ever so popular and effective "I found Jesus" card in his pocket.  Roll Eyes 
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008 at 18:30 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 23:29 »

and there IS EVEN debate on whether pacman jones gets welcomed back into the league.

Oh, you haven't heard?  Pacman has entered rehab.  I'm sure that will do the trick.  He will still get another pass after this one because he still has the ever so popular and effective "I found Jesus" card in his pocket.  Roll Eyes 

TBH, i could really care less if Pacman plays or not.  I dont think he was all that great to begin with aside from a few return TDs.  And with the way the cowboy season is unravelling, im not too sure that Jones will be allowed back on JJ's Ranch anytime soon.

yippy Kay yay!

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 23:51 »

And for every dumb article people like Gene Collier and Bob Smizik spew out in the PPG on a weekly basis, we get a good one from Cook...

Nothing dirty about Ward's rugged play
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So the Cincinnati Bengals want a piece of Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward when the teams play again Nov. 20?

Please.

They had better get in line.

It is a very long line.

Baltimore Ravens safety Rod Woodson threatened to get even with Ward after his nose was bloodied by a Ward block in 2001. Ravens linebacker Bart Scott threatened to kill Ward after he was flattened by a Ward hit in '07. Cleveland Browns cornerback Daven Holly called the Ward block that left him with a concussion last season "a heinous act." Ravens cornerback Chris McAllister used a vulgar term to describe Ward in '04 for no other reason than, well, Ward is Ward.

Now, along come the Bengals after Ward's hard-but-clean block knocked rookie linebacker Keith Rivers out for the season with a broken jaw Sunday.

"Too bad he can't hit someone face up," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "It's the type of guy he is. He's a blind-side guy. That's all right. We play them again."

That didn't bother Ward in the slightest. "They all hate me in the division," he said yesterday. "I don't worry about someone trying to take me out. I don't even think about it. I know they're going to try to hit me hard any chance they get. That's why I always try to hit them hard first."

But this bothered Ward greatly: "I hate that they're saying I'm a dirty player when I didn't do anything wrong. How can it be a dirty play when I don't get penalized? How can it be a dirty play when all I'm doing is playing football and trying to help my teammate get extra yards?"

Those are good questions.

There are a lot of ways to describe Ward. I like Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's version: "Hines plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. ... He's a football player first and a wide receiver second." Ward prefers former Ravens coach Brian Billick's description: " 'I hate the S.O.B., but I'd love to have him on my team.' "

But Ward a dirty player?

Sorry, I just don't see it.

Of all of Ward's many vicious blocks, the only one I can remember coming late and drawing a penalty was his hit on the Browns' Holly last season. Just about everything he does -- though unusually violent for a receiver -- is within the rules.

Of course, that didn't stop the NFL from fining Ward for "unnecessary roughness" on plays that weren't penalized in games against Jacksonville and Baltimore earlier this season. He doesn't think he'll be fined for the hit on Rivers, but who knows? If the league does fine him, it will stink of hypocrisy. That block is the type of brutal hit that makes the NFL game so popular. Rivers was sent flying; his feet must have been 10 feet off the turf. It's the type of play the league surely will market and sell on its 2008 Greatest Hits video.

"It was shoulder to shoulder," Ward said. "If I was a dirty player, I would have gone low on him. I easily could have taken out his leg. But my intentions weren't to hurt him. I just wanted to block him. I can't help that he broke his jaw when he hit the ground. I feel sorry that it was broken, but I don't feel sorry for what I did.

"No one ever sent me an apology note when I was hurt. Two years ago against Cleveland, Sean Jones hurt my knee with what I thought was a bad hit. Last year, [San Francisco's] Patrick Willis hit me directly on my knee. No one felt sorry for me ...

"I'm a 200-pound wide receiver. [Rivers] is a first-round linebacker out of USC. If I were him, I wouldn't want people talking about me being blocked like that. I'd be embarrassed about it."

Lost in the controversy surrounding Ward's big hit and fines is the fact he's having another superb season. He caught his fifth touchdown pass in the 38-10 victory against the Bengals, taking a cheap hit from safety Dexter Jackson long after he scored. Ward bounced up and grinned in Jackson's face as the officials called Jackson for a personal foul. "I knew that hit was coming," Ward said, shrugging.

Ward didn't take it personally.

"I hardly ever allow it to become personal," he said. "I can only think of one or two times in my career when I lost my cool and allowed it to be personal. I caught a touchdown pass in Seattle and spiked the ball in front of [Ken] Lucas. He had been grabbing me and talking all game. That was personal. After I hit [Earl] Little in Cleveland [in 2001], I stood over him because he called me a 'Chinaman [bleep]' a few plays earlier. I said to him, 'How do you like that from a Chinaman [bleep]?' I know I shouldn't have done it and I deserved that fine.

"But these fines this year? I didn't do anything wrong. I just played football."

And if the opponents disagree?

"If I'm in their head and they're worried about me, I figure I've won already," Ward said.

In the game against the Ravens last season when Ward drilled Scott, he also sent All-Pro safety Ed Reed flying with a block. "The next few plays, all he cared about was getting back at me," Ward said. "He didn't care about his responsibilities. That's not helping his team. That's helping my team."

I'm thinking Ward will be ready for the Giants' best shots Sunday and the Washington Redskins' the next week and the Bengals', Ravens' and Browns' down the road.

Certainly, they had better be ready for his best.

"I'm not going to allow this silly [stuff] to change the way I play," Ward said.

Nor should he.

Tomlin's point is worth repeating one more time:

Hines plays the game the way it's supposed to be played ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08295/921512-87.stm
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 07:48 »

"Too bad he can't hit someone face up," Bengals safety Chinedum Ndukwe said. "It's the type of guy he is. He's a blind-side guy. That's all right. We play them again."

Ask Ed Reed what happens when Hines hits you face-up.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 15:53 »

LOVED Ron Cook's story today! Especially "Hines plays the game the way it's supposed to be played". We could use a few more players like that in the NFL...as long as they play for the Steelers.   Wink

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: