Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 18:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Nate Washington finally turned the corner?  (Read 2539 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 13:27 »

First, let me say if it comes down to resinging Nate or McFadden, I definately think they should sign the CB. A quality starting CB is much more important than a #3 receiver and Nate would indeed be easier to replace than McFadden both in availability and monetarily.

However, IMO if Nate can continue at this level( which I think he can), I don't think he is in the "dime a dozen" catergory. Even last year, his production(5 TD's) was more than a lot of #2 receivers. Having a quality #3 receiver really puts the pressure on the oppposing D to cover the whole field, and if you double Holmes or Ward, the #3 guy is pretty much matched up one on one on the D's 3rd or 4th best cover guy. I don't think Nate's stock is super high with other teams, and he probably could be resigned for a relatively low number. Banking on Sweed or Baker to step in and perform just as well as Nate, let alone better, is a big stretch for me. They have showed absolutely nada so far. Baker has just been able to hang on and Sweed couldn't even beat him out this year. I just don't see how they could easily replace his production AJ. Neither of them has caught jack shit yet.  And going out a getting a Ced type of quality guy would be a waste of money and thats about all there is out there in FA for the money . The Colts proved that a good QB with 3 legit WR's(plus a good TE) is trouble for defenses and to be able to do without breaking the bank on the 3rd guy is huge. You know Holmes is going to want to get paid soon.

I can't think of another #3 guy who has scored 7 TD's in the past 22 games. Can anyone?.. He is currently 2nd on the team with TD catches this year and a 15 yard average with 15 catches. He had 29 catches for 450 yards( a 15.5 yard average) with 5TD's last year. Again, no other #3 guy comes to mind with that average and TD production and he seems to be improving ( that tranny Henry doesn't count). Of course he is benefiting from the attention paid to the other 2 guys, but to lump him in with all the other #3 guys out there who aren't coming close to his production isn't fair. Yes, he dropped one too many passes in past, but he is getting the job done now. And doing it well. If Sweed or Baker pans out, that would make one hell of a WR corps, but remember, #86 doesn't have a lot of high production years left, so there will always be a need for a quality #3 guy.

I guess I think more highly of Nate than most, but his numbers speak for themselves and I don't buy the argument that he can easily be replaced, either by someone already on the roster, or through FA with a reasonable contract. Come on Nate! Prove your doubters wrong!  
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 14:39 »

However, IMO if Nate can continue at this level( which I think he can), I don't think he is in the "dime a dozen" catergory. Even last year, his production(5 TD's) was more than a lot of #2 receivers.

I think looking strictly at it from a numbers perspective can be a little misleading.  While I can't recall specific games, I'm willing to bet that a good chunk of Nate's '07 numbers came from games where he was asked to step in for an ailing Holmes and/or Ward.  IIRC, both of those guys missed 3 or 4 games each.  With a guy like #7 "behind the helmet" and the kind of numbers he put up, coupled with some starters missing games, it's not too surprising that Washington did what he did.

Banking on Sweed or Baker to step in and perform just as well as Nate, let alone better, is a big stretch for me. They have showed absolutely nada so far. Baker has just been able to hang on and Sweed couldn't even beat him out this year. I just don't see how they could easily replace his production AJ. Neither of them has caught jack shit yet.  And going out a getting a Ced type of quality guy would be a waste of money and thats about all there is out there in FA for the money . The Colts proved that a good QB with 3 legit WR's(plus a good TE) is trouble for defenses and to be able to do without breaking the bank on the 3rd guy is huge. You know Holmes is going to want to get paid soon.

I can't think of another #3 guy who has scored 7 TD's in the past 22 games. Can anyone?.. He is currently 2nd on the team with TD catches this year and a 15 yard average with 15 catches. He had 29 catches for 450 yards( a 15.5 yard average) with 5TD's last year. Again, no other #3 guy comes to mind with that average and TD production and he seems to be improving ( that tranny Henry doesn't count). Of course he is benefiting from the attention paid to the other 2 guys, but to lump him in with all the other #3 guys out there who aren't coming close to his production isn't fair. Yes, he dropped one too many passes in past, but he is getting the job done now. And doing it well. If Sweed or Baker pans out, that would make one hell of a WR corps, but remember, #86 doesn't have a lot of high production years left, so there will always be a need for a quality #3 guy.

I guess I think more highly of Nate than most, but his numbers speak for themselves and I don't buy the argument that he can easily be replaced, either by someone already on the roster, or through FA with a reasonable contract. Come on Nate! Prove your doubters wrong!  

Yeah, I guess in retrospect, maybe expecting Baker/Sweed to play like Washington has in the last few is a bit presumptuous and it's true that they haven't done anything yet.  Still, I like what I saw from Baker in preseason (moreso than what I saw from Washington) so it's quite possible that he just hasn't had the opportunity yet.  In fact, Baker reminds me of a bigger, stronger Washington.

I just think that when you look at Nate the player and his "football skills," that's where that "dime a dozen" comment comes from.  That's just my opinion of him.  I look at who some teams have at the #3 and I see a lot of guys that I think are as good or better "players."  Again, IMO. 

Here are some #3 guys.  Ask yourself who you would rather have, them or Washington?

Steve Breaston
Brian Finneran
James Hardy (small body of work, but he has all the tools)
Dwayne Jarrett
Marty Booker
Josh Cribbs 
Chris Henry
Patrick Crayton or Miles Austin
Brandon Stokley or Darrell Jackson (both on Denver)
Mike Furrey or Shaun McDonald
James Jones
Jacoby Jones
Anthony Gonzalez
Jabar Gaffney
David Patten
Steve Smith (NYG)
pretty much any of these 5 on the Eagles since it's really tough to determine who the #3 is (Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, Hank Baskett, DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant)
Eddie Kennison
Ike Hilliard
Michael Clayton

Now, if I have the chance later, I might come back and go through that list player by player, but with a quick glance, there are a lot of guys I'd rather have as my #3 over Washington, maybe as much as half that list.  Then, when I look to see that some of those guys are potential FAs in '09 (Baskett,  McDonald, Gaffney to name a few), I just don't get too concerned about replacing Nate on this team.  It's just my $0.02 worth, but I think a lot of those guys would outperform Nate if put in the same situation he's been in Pittsburgh. 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 19:09 »

Good points AJ. With Ben as the QB, people should get stats, and stats can be misleading and don't always tell the whole story.

Looking at your list, I can honestly say only Stokely and Jarrett peak my interest there. And Stokely is a pretty proven guy and probably makes the most on that list. Nate isn't that old and IMHO, still has a ton of upside. I know I'm crazy, and I know its an unpopular opinion, but I like Nate and think he could still be a valuable asset.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 19:27 »

After all, #3 WRs (like him) are a dime a dozen.

That's another reason why I chose B-Mac over Nate.  Plus, I think Sweed getting a year under his belt and Baker getting another one under his will help next season.

Bottomline for me, I find it very hard to pass on a former second round  DB who appears to be stepping up to fill the role that he's suppose to be filling in order to try and sign a #3 WR.  I'm more concerned with trying to get Kemoeatu and B-Mac signed if possible. 
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008 at 19:31 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 22:01 »

The let Burress walk then they let El walk.  If Wash doesn't sign a cheap deal they'll let him walk too.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:13 »

He'll be our starting SE this weekend- lets see if he has turned the corner.

Concerning Sweed, someone is going to have to replace Hines in the not-so-distant future.  I'd prefer to keep Washington around and not have to deal with another Andre Hastings or Terrance? Mathis expiriment.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 09:21 »

He has become more consistent, that's for sure.  It looks like he's breaking out of the 'catch, catch, easy drop' routine.  Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the season. 

So much for that.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 09:29 »

I have defended Nate over the years, even breaking down his 2007 stats verses other 3rd WRs and arguing he was one of the better 3rd WRs in the NFL, but I can't see anyone (Steelers or anyone else) giving a guy like Nate any kind of serious cash. 

McFadden's injury will hopefully bring down his cost, but he will be in an entirely different paygrade.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 10:11 »

I have defended Nate over the years, even breaking down his 2007 stats verses other 3rd WRs and arguing he was one of the better 3rd WRs in the NFL, but I can't see anyone (Steelers or anyone else) giving a guy like Nate any kind of serious cash. 

McFadden's injury will hopefully bring down his cost, but he will be in an entirely different paygrade.

Back in October I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and it appeared as if he was finally turning the corner, but this is now two games in a row where he has dropped an important pass that was directly in his hands.  Anymore, it seems like he is good for one easy drop a game.  It may not hurt us against a horrible Bengals team and it may not be a big deal after a win, but he has to start catching those balls.

As for B-Mac, the injury could/should bring down his asking price, but with Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, you never know how those negotiations will pan out.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2008 at 10:13 »

Yeah, they need to keep Wash around.  Sure, he had an easy drop but so did Ward.  Sweed seemed to do fine catching the ball.  Stupid play on STs but he is a rook.  He'll get better.

The WR corps seems to be looking fine for the future, Nate included.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: