Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 04:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Nate Washington finally turned the corner?  (Read 2564 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Oct 19, 2008 at 19:28 »

So that makes a 48 yard TD and a 50 yard TD in the last 2 games for Nate. While he had 5 TD's last year, he often showed lapses in concentration by repeatedly dropping passes he should have caught. This year he seems to be holding on to the ball and making the catches he should. He has the size and speed to be a bonafide downfield threat, and as a #3 receiver, he gets matched up on the nickel back, safety, or even LB's sometime. If Nate can maintain his level of performance for the rest of the year, I would consider resinging him. Thats certainly an if, but are we seeing the Tiffin product finally turning the corner on his mental lapses and elevating his game? The #2 pick may have got him a little more motivated to prove his worth this year. Plus its a contract year.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 21:06 »

I think he has.  He seems to be making more of the opportunities that come his way.  And he's not that far off the pace of Holmes.  Nice average per catch at 15 even.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 21:09 »

He has become more consistent, that's for sure.  It looks like he's breaking out of the 'catch, catch, easy drop' routine.  Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the season. 
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 21:37 »

So, if you had to choose between Nate and McFadden in the offseason, which would it be?
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 21:45 »

So, if you had to choose between Nate and McFadden in the offseason, which would it be?

McFadden. 

Townsend up there in age being reason #1.  McFadden stepping up big time this season and playing great ball being reason #2 and I think we could survive with Sweed, Holmes, Ward and Baker being reason #3. 
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008 at 21:54 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 22:30 »

Yeah, I'm with PghSteel-43 for those very good reasons.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 08:21 »

It's cool 'n' all he's turned some corner, but odds are he's playing elsewhere next year.

How much would other teams pay for him as opposed to the Steelers, with Sweed?

I agree that McFadden's been playing very, very solid ball and DT's age makes McFadden a priority.  In fact, I'd re-up him right effin now, if I were running the shit.  And I'd at least make an overture to Nate's people now, to see if he'd stay.  We'd have an awesome four-deep WR group, assuming Sweed progresses.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 08:50 »

Pardon me if I'm still taking a "wait and see" approach to Washington.  He's looked great, but there's a lot of football left.

He'll bring a high price if he continues to play well, and he'll be easier to replace than McFadden.  If we can't keep him at a reasonable rate, let him go and pay for a proven DB.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:06 »

He'll bring a high price if he continues to play well, and he'll be easier to replace than McFadden.

That's kinda how I look at this sitch.  As someone else mentioned, I'd be very surprised if he's wearing a Steeler uni in '09.  After all, #3 WRs (like him) are a dime a dozen.  And, that's not really meant as a knock on Nate.  I think he's a decent player.  It's just that he's, you know, OK. 

*shrug*

Plus, with Sweed and Baker getting a little more seasoning, they should easily be able to replace his production if Pittsburgh wants to keep it in house.  If they want to dabble in the open market, for a mil or two a year, there are as good or better options available.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 12:59 »

I think we'll try and offer him a mil or two.  We might be close to the cap, but I thought that we were going to be descently under in 09'  with Starks, Marvel, and a few others off the books.

That might give us an option to resing Mcfadden and Washington.  I suppose it's possible that we put the franchise on Marvel (maybe McFadden), but IMO, unlikely.

I think the FO will restructure/extend Hines by a couple years.  He's has an 11M cap hit with his final year.

Big question is how much free cash the Rooney's have with their ownership issues?

Biggest focus from the FO in the offseason is to extend players prudently.  I think we are 50M under the 2010 cap due to many contracts being up.  Of course it may not matter due to the CBA.

Those include (I think Smiley ):  Ward, Snacks, Foote, Deshea?, Heath, Hartwig, Colon, Spaeth, Parker, Clark, probably other non-starters.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: