Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes: Marijuana Possession  (Read 4678 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Oct 23, 2008 at 22:49 »

Dumb....

Steeler Santonio Holmes Accused Of Marijuana Possession
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 23:12 »

So what is this now? Incident #3 with this guy?

After the first incident I told myself that once he get's into a groove and realizes how things work in Pittsburgh, he will come around and things will be fine.

After the second incident, I started to worry.

Now we are at #3 and I'm convinced that this guy may be a very good WR, but he's an idiot.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 00:56 »

This will be bad news for the black and gold, if it proves to be of substance.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 01:13 »

"near Mellon Arena"

I'm not exactly sure which was the dumber decision on Santonio's part...

Smoking weed to begin with.

Smoking weed after you have been in two other altercations in the past.

Smoking weed near the Hill District where there is always a police presence.  Real smart.

Eitherway, a little slap on the wrist from Rooney.  If you can knock down a door, break a cell phone, physically attack a woman and not miss a game, I'm sure Holmes will be fine.  Now if his first name was Cedrick and last name Wilson, that's a different story. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 02:05 »

Steelers' Holmes to face possession charge
By Michael Hasch
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 24, 2008

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes will be charged with possession of marijuana after three blunts were found inside his vehicle Thursday afternoon in Uptown, Pittsburgh police said.

Holmes was stopped about 4 p.m. near the intersection of Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place by officers searching for a vehicle with a similar description.

When officers approached Holmes' vehicle, they smelled an odor of burning marijuana, police said.

Holmes, who was not carrying his driver's license, admitted to having a small amount of marijuana and pointed out the blunts -- a cigar filled with marijuana -- to officers.

Holmes, 24, will be sent a summons charging him with possession of marijuana.

Police said they stopped Holmes because they had been looking for a black sport utility vehicle with out-of-state plates believed to be carrying a large amount of narcotics. Police said Holmes was driving a black SUV with out-of-state plates, but it was not the vehicle they were seeking.

Holmes is in his third season with the Steelers. He is second on the team in receiving with 22 catches for 360 yards and one touchdown. He has 118 catches for 2,037 yards and 11 touchdowns in his NFL career.

Holmes, a native of Belle Glade, Fla., was the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick in 2006 out of Ohio State University. He was the school's fifth all-time receiver when he left school with 140 receptions for 2,295 yards.

Holmes was arrested in June 2006 on charges of domestic violence in Columbus, Ohio. He was charged with assaulting LaShae Boone, the mother of one of his three children. The charges were dropped when Boone chose not to go forward with the case.

Holmes was also arrested for disorderly conduct in Miami in May 2006. Those charges were later dropped by the Miami Police Department.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_595004.html
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 06:27 »

Real dumbass move.  Smoke all you want when you retire.  Play now, keep your nose clean.

This could hurt the season.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 07:44 »

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Momma always said stupid is as stupid does.

I am with Finny on this one, smoke it up....AFTER you retire. Grr!

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 08:04 »

Why, why, WHY does these young men do this crazy-ass stuff? Didn't they learn anything from Michael & Marcus Vick, among the many others?Huh? Is burning some weed worth losing your respectability, money, whatever?? F-ing THINK!  Huh?

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 08:05 »

Geez.

I've never been anti-marijuana because I've always seen the effects as less destructive than other drugs and even alcohol in some instances.

Yeah i know it's illegal and against league rules, but that's not stopping any of the likely > 50% of the league that partakes.

Jesus dude, smoke if you want to smoke, but how about doing it in your mansion? How about the offseason? How about not during a fucking brutal 6 game stretch?

Or how about dropping your college buddies that have caused you nothing but trouble? You're held to a higher standard now.

With the negative press the team has been given lately, this is going to be a multi-game suspension by the league.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 08:17 »

Any truth to the rumor that Sweed planted it?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 09:20 »

Merman, I don't give a shit if someone smokes it, so long as they're not endangering others.  Legalize it and tax it, fine with me.  But the laws being what they are, Holmes has to know they randomly test (and now, his piss will be going in the cup on a regular basis), has to know he can lose paychecks, has to know he can be out for a 4-game stint.

What really chaffs me about this isn't that the guy might have a taste for the sticky bud -- I'm sure Plax liked all that key lime pie for a reason.  The thing is, his actions affect the whole team.  He's saying that he's so fucking selfish, he doesn't give a rat's ass if it hurts our playoff chances.  He doesn't care that guys like Chris Hoke, who by all rights shouldn't have a place in this league but DO because of hard work and dedication to improving themselves and the team, is out there giving it his all on AND off the field, while he's had his warning (twice) and still makes dumbass decisions like this. 

The real problem is this.  We can probably survive having Nate in at SE for 4 weeks.  Get Sweed some reps in the slot.  OK.  Whatever.  But when Holmes's rookie deal is up, you know this will affect how the Rooneys want to handle any contract dealings.  They won't want to spend the money it will likely take to keep Holmes if he's got personal issues.  So, not to get overly dramatic here or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose Holmes to free agency.  Of course, he has time to right himself between now and 2011, but really the deal would need done by 2010 if we were to re-up him.  So that means, 2008, go through the traditional testing/counseling/fines/probation with good behavior.  2009, stay out of trouble, keep peeing clean. 2010, the Rooneys forgive and forget?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  If Sweed is clicking by then, maybe we lose this very talented young man for just not having good common sense.

I'd hate to see that.  Then again, SH's stats are way down this year.  Maybe there's a correlation?

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 10:36 »

Merman, I don't give a shit if someone smokes it, so long as they're not endangering others.  Legalize it and tax it, fine with me.  But the laws being what they are, Holmes has to know they randomly test (and now, his piss will be going in the cup on a regular basis), has to know he can lose paychecks, has to know he can be out for a 4-game stint.

What really chaffs me about this isn't that the guy might have a taste for the sticky bud -- I'm sure Plax liked all that key lime pie for a reason.  The thing is, his actions affect the whole team.  He's saying that he's so fucking selfish, he doesn't give a rat's ass if it hurts our playoff chances.  He doesn't care that guys like Chris Hoke, who by all rights shouldn't have a place in this league but DO because of hard work and dedication to improving themselves and the team, is out there giving it his all on AND off the field, while he's had his warning (twice) and still makes dumbass decisions like this. 

The real problem is this.  We can probably survive having Nate in at SE for 4 weeks.  Get Sweed some reps in the slot.  OK.  Whatever.  But when Holmes's rookie deal is up, you know this will affect how the Rooneys want to handle any contract dealings.  They won't want to spend the money it will likely take to keep Holmes if he's got personal issues.  So, not to get overly dramatic here or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose Holmes to free agency.  Of course, he has time to right himself between now and 2011, but really the deal would need done by 2010 if we were to re-up him.  So that means, 2008, go through the traditional testing/counseling/fines/probation with good behavior.  2009, stay out of trouble, keep peeing clean. 2010, the Rooneys forgive and forget?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  If Sweed is clicking by then, maybe we lose this very talented young man for just not having good common sense.

I'd hate to see that.  Then again, SH's stats are way down this year.  Maybe there's a correlation?

You're right about the selfishness.

Wasn't advocating his actions with my post, just pointing out how dumb you have to be to get caught.

So it's four games? I mean is that what Matt Jones got for getting caught doing lines off his steering wheel or whatever? Maybe there can be some kind of appeal since he technically wasn't caught in the act, and was extremely cooperative..

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 10:46 »

The thing I find odd is that Holmes was said to have showed up in fantastic shap, added muscle and all that.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 11:16 »

I don't know how this will work.  It's not like he failed a piss test.  He could say they weren't his.  If he's found not guilty at a trial, can the leage actually suspend or fine him for substance abuse?

I think were he may have a problem is under the leagues personal conduct policy.  He's getting close to that repeat offender status.  Maybe a fine, rehab, charity work, and a final warning?

I personally don't think the Steelers will suspend him.  As someone pointed out, if Harrison's actions didn't warrant a suspension, this wont.
ajv148

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:00 »

Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and

I read this to mean he wasn't driving around smoking.  The weed was in his car, but he wasn't smoking it, if he was, he would have been deemed "impaired".  No?  I think this should help. 

Unless he is now given a pee test and fails. 
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:08 »

Not too smart. Why would you risk millions to smoke the chronic? Smoke yourself silly after you retire. If he hasn't failed a pee test yet, he likely will. Unless he can hold the league off for 3-4 weeks, it will still be in his system. Not to smart, legally speaking, to admit to it on the side of the road. Leaves you with pretty much nothing to challenge the case or plea with. I think he just signed up for the league double secret probabtion drug program, and probably a couple game suspension. Ooops...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:12 »

Steelers' Tomlin to address Holmes drug charges after practice
Friday, October 24, 2008
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh police pulled over Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes in the Hill District and found three marijuana-filled cigars yesterday while they were on the lookout for a large stash of drugs in a sport utility vehicle.

Mr. Holmes, 24, of Ohio Township, told officers he had smoked marijuana in his sport utility vehicle the day before, according to a police affidavit, but he was not impaired at the time of the traffic stop around 4 p.m. at Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place.

Police let Mr. Holmes go and will charge him by summons through the mail with one misdemeanor count of prohibited acts -- in this case having a small amount of marijuana for personal use.

Following today's practice, Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin plans to address the situation and Mr. Holmes' status for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

Mr. Holmes was withheld from practice.

Reached at his home this afternoon, Mr. Holmes refused to comment.

It could not immediately be determined whether Mr. Holmes' SUV was the intended target of police officers at the Hill District station, but The Associated Press reported that the vehicle was not the one officers were seeking.

At the 3 p.m. roll call, the officers were told to look for an SUV with an out-of-state license plate traveling through the Hill District with a "large amount of narcotics," the police affidavit said.

An hour later, Officer Thomas Gorecki spotted Mr. Holmes' black SUV with Florida plates and pulled it over.

Mr. Holmes did not have his driver's license but handed over his registration and insurance paperwork.

Officers said they smelled marijuana in the SUV. Officer John Kusenko asked Mr. Holmes if he had been smoking marijuana in the SUV that day.

"No," Mr. Holmes told officers, according to the affidavit, "but yesterday I was."

Police said Mr. Holmes told them he had marijuana in the vehicle. He pointed out two marijuana-filled cigars, known as "blunts," in a vehicle compartment. Officers found a third blunt from a pack of cigars in the center console.

Thursday's arrest is the latest in a string of legal troubles for Mr. Holmes. In June 2006, he was arrested in Ohio on domestic violence charges, which were later dismissed. The charges stemmed from an incident involving LaShae Boone of Columbus, the mother of one of his three children. The charges were dismissed after the judge in the case was assured by Mr. Holmes' lawyers that their client was participating in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL.

Mr. Holmes also was arrested in South Beach, Fla., for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities in 2006. That charge was later dropped in exchange for a $250 donation to the Police Officers Assistance Trust Fund.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:25 »

*sigh*

The first two "incidents" were BS.

This one isn't and will hurt.

Just say "no," SanAntonio??

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:40 »

KDKA is reporting that Holmes will be "deactivated" for Sunday's game.

This guy can smoke until he's blue in the face for all I care.  If he wants to fail piss test after piss test and take the Ricky Williams road, that's fine by me.  Just stay off the roads that my family travel on, that my friends travel and that I travel on.

"It's only weed" until this goof hits a family of four with that SUV while stoned. Eitherway, Holmes was lucky the second case was simply thrown out.  I wonder how much Lashae Boone was paid for that one?
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:49 »

Just bump the kickoff to 4:20 and let him play.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:52 »

And now confirmed by the PPG....

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes did not practice with the team today and will not play in Sunday's game against the New York Giants after police said they stopped him with marijuana yesterday.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes, a third-year receiver who is second on the team with 22 catches and 360 yards receiving, will be listed as inactive for the game. He declined to say if Holmes had been suspended by the team or docked one game's pay.

"At this point we've chosen to name him as inactive," Tomlin said after practice. "His situation has created somewhat of a distraction and we want to minimize that as much as we can and remain focused on the task at hand."

Tomlin met with Holmes earlier today and told him he will not be allowed on the sidelines at Heinz Field and to report back to work Monday.

Contacted at home, Holmes said he had no comment.

An NFL spokesman said the matter is being reviewed under the league's substance abuse policy. However, he said the league would not comment.

"We're paid to deal with distractions; the great teams are ones that do," Tomlin said. "They find a way to get the job done. When you're a good team, there are going to be distractions because with good teams there comes attention."

Holmes will be replaced in the starting lineup by Nate Washington, who has touchdown catches of 48 and 50 yards the past two games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:09 »

I personally don't think the Steelers will suspend him.  As someone pointed out, if Harrison's actions didn't warrant a suspension, this wont.

Well, guess I was wrong.  Being held out of a game and not allowed on the sidelines sounds like a suspension to me.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:31 »

Well, guess I was wrong.  Being held out of a game and not allowed on the sidelines sounds like a suspension to me.

You and me both.  After the third incident, the second one being the eye opener for me, I'm guessing the Steelers decided to put an end to this before it get's any worse.  Hopefully it get's through to Holmes, but I'm not holding my breath when it comes to this guy.  Even though it stinks, I agree with Tomlin's decision 100%.

IMO, Holmes needs to take a strong look at players like Ward, Moore, Clark, Aaron Smith, Nate, Hokey and start following that lead if he plans on lasting in this city and on this team.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:47 »

So it's four games? I mean is that what Matt Jones got for getting caught doing lines off his steering wheel or whatever? Maybe there can be some kind of appeal since he technically wasn't caught in the act, and was extremely cooperative..

I think the NFL will give him one game, probably in addition to Tomlin's decision, but he would get 4 for flunking a pee test.  Matt Jones and Kevin Faulk faced similar situations.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:49 »

The thing I find odd is that Holmes was said to have showed up in fantastic shap, added muscle and all that.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:08 »

IMO, this is huge as he was primed to have a big game against the underachieving (lately) Aaron Ross.

Who gets bumped for more PT?  Baker or Sweed?

Oh, and this might be a good time to suggest throwing to Miller, a lot.  6 to 8 looks, min.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:11 »

I think Nate can get it done against Ross.

We should be throwing a ton to Heat anyway.

Thought I'd read that both Sweed and Baker would be activated, too?

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:18 »

That'd be surprising now if Sweed and Baker were inactive... I figure it'd be Sweed going if Baker is still hurt.

You know who is becoming a great slot receiver for this team?  Mewelde Moore.  I thought I recaled him lining up in the slot on 4/5 WR sets making a couple underneath catches on a curl and slant.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:22 »

That'd be surprising now if Sweed and Baker were inactive... I figure it'd be Sweed going if Baker is still hurt.

You know who is becoming a great slot receiver for this team?  Mewelde Moore.  I thought I recaled him lining up in the slot on 4/5 WR sets making a couple underneath catches on a curl and slant.

I agree.  And against the Giants blitz, I hope to hear the phrase "complete, to Mewelde Moore" over and over.

jaguarbond007
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 18:32 »

It almost sounded like profiling to me. they just happened to be looking for a vehicle similar to his. The "distraction" comment is stupid. Last time I checked a football field is the same size every week. If I'm on the Steelers Defense I'm not thinking "Oh boy, Holmes just got stopped and had marijuana in his car, should i blitz? I'm really distracted, I forgot the play, boy this Holmes situation is really throwing off my game. We should suspend him. I don't think I should play with this distraction."

I'm sure as Ben goes back to pass he's not thinking: "Oh my god Holmes was stopped and had marijuana in his possession. This is to distracting, who should I throw to? This distraction is terrible I don't think I can throw a pass. I'll just take the sack do to this distraction."

The O line: "This Holmes distraction is really hurting my ability to block. Maybe we should forfeit because the distraction is more powerful then me doing my job, the job I get paid to do."

The coaching Staff: "this distraction is really hurting our decision making. We're not experienced enough to make decisions while being distracted by something completely non football related"

The WR: "Holmes is out, I'm in, how do I catch the football with this distraction."

The Rooneys: "This is such a distraction we can't figure out if we should sell the team. This situation is far too difficult for us to do our job."

The grass on the field: "Holmes is not playing, if i were going to be grass I'd rather be marijuana than a blade of grass on the football field. I"m not sure how the team is going to manage such a DISTRACTION. Will I survive as a blade of grass on this field with this off field distraction.'

So basically this distraction is so catastrophic that the entire Steelers organization is in disarray. Let it go. the guy made a mistake. He was entirely honest. Although i'm sure it wasn't a great moment for him either. It's too bad that all those that judge or holier than thou. I'm not completely defending him, but let's not overreact. 
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 20:53 »

While it shouldn't be that big of a distraction to the team, he still let his teammates, the fans and the organization down by being a selfish prick.  I'm sure his teammates are loving the fact that he chose a couple of blunts over helping them beat the Giants and very possibly, the Redskins without him.

Like I said, he can toke up all he wants for all I care, but why have it in the vehicle (one smoked)?  Particulary after having two previous incidents with the police.

The guy is 24 years old, it's time to grow up before incident #4 comes up.  Then we start having a Pacman/Henry situation on our hands. 
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2008 at 02:57 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 02:02 »

WR situation with Holmes out...

With Holmes out, Washington will make his seventh NFL start and get a chance to make even more plays like the 48- and 50-yard touchdown catches he has made the past two games.

Washington is typically the backup to Hines Ward at flanker, but he is the team's fastest receiver and will move to split end to replace Holmes.

"It's a good opportunity to show what I've done the past couple weeks isn't a fluke and that this Nate Washington, the one they know now, is here to stay," Washington said.

Holmes' absence also means Limas Sweed, the team's No. 2 draft choice, will split time with Dallas Baker as the third wide receiver. Baker did not play in Cincinnati because of a sprained shoulder, allowing Sweed to play in his first NFL game.

But Baker has practiced all week and will play against the Giants.

"Dallas and Limas will share the load and, quite frankly, we'll go with the hot hand," Tomlin said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08299/922814-66.stm

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:30 »

SING WILLIE REID!!!!
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 12:41 »

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the duo replacing Mr. Holmes go by the names of Sweed & Baker.

That's almost taunting. Goodell may fine them.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 13:41 »

Aren't their nicknames "Sticky" and "Brownie?"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 00:13 »

The guy is 24 years old, it's time to grow up before incident #4 comes up.  Then we start having a Pacman/Henry situation on our hands. 

Pacman:<Chris Henry:
December 15, 2005: Henry was pulled over in Northern Kentucky for speeding. During a search, marijuana was found in his shoes. He was also driving without a valid driver's license or valid insurance.

January 30, 2006: Henry was arrested in Orlando, Florida for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm. He was reported to have been wearing his #15 Bengals jersey at the time of his arrest. Henry pleaded guilty and avoided jail time in both cases.

May 4, 2006: Cincinnati media reported that Henry was being investigated by Covington, Kentucky police in connection with a sex crime which allegedly occurred in a Covington hotel room in the early morning of April 30, 2006. No charges have yet been filed, and on May 24, 2006, Covington police reported that there is no proof anything happened and that the alleged victim might have concocted the story and may face charges for filing a false police report.

June 3, 2006: Chris Henry was pulled over outside on Interstate 275 at 1:18 a.m by Ohio Highway Patrol trooper Michael Shimko. At 2:06 a.m. Henry voluntarily submitted to a breathalyzer test at Milford Police Department and registered a .092 blood-alcohol level, .012 above the level permitted in the state of Ohio.

September 25, 2006: Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was pulled over for driving under the influence. The truck Thurman was driving belonged to rookie quarterback/receiver Reggie McNeal. Neither McNeal nor Henry, who were passengers, were charged with any wrongdoing by authorities. However, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis suspended Henry for the Bengals game against the New England Patriots.

October 6, 2006: Henry was suspended by the NFL for two games for violating the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies. NFL policies forbid Henry from taking part in practices, however, he was allowed to attend any team meetings. Henry missed the Bengals' October 15, 2006 game at Tampa Bay and their October 22, 2006 home game versus Carolina.

January 25, 2007: Henry plead guilty to charges of providing alcohol to minors, an incident that occurred at a hotel in the spring in 2006. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with all but two of those days being suspended.

April 10, 2007: Henry was suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy. His suspension comes with a stern warning that future misconduct may result in the end of his career with the NFL. Henry was given permission by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to begin practicing fully. His suspension was lifted and he played in the November 11, 2007 game versus the Baltimore Ravens, amassing 4 catches for 99 yards.

May 18, 2007: It was reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer that Henry allegedly failed a court-mandated drug test. The report showed that he had taken an opiate, but the result was later proven to be false. The failed drug test would have been the third violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. A third violation, per league rules, results in a one-year suspension. In addition to having his suspension increased to 24 games, he would have had to serve an 88 day jail sentence. As of May 23, 2007, the State of Kentucky has reported that Henry in fact did NOT fail a drug test, and that earlier reports to the contrary are erroneous.

June 12, 2007: Henry allegedly assaulted a 16-year-old boy with teammate Reggie McNeal. The claims were later reported to be unfounded[21] and Henry and McNeal have been exonerated.

November 6, 2007: Henry allegedly assaulted a valet attendant at Newport on the Levee.

December 3, 2007: Henry arrested for the second time in Orlando, Florida for violating his probation he was on from a January 30, 2006 arrest. On February 21, 2008 he was found not guilty. On February 26, 2008, a motion to terminate probation in Orange County, Florida was denied.

March 31, 2008: Henry was alleged to have punched a man named Gregory Meyer, 18, and thrown a beer bottle through the window of his car. Henry claimed it was a case of mistaken identity and also that he thought it was somebody else that owed him money. Henry was waived by the Bengals a day after this arrest and was then forced to serve a house arrest sentence.

Santonio, while dumb for having pot in his car, is hardly up to the Pacman/Henry level.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Oct 26, 2008 at 09:58 »

I agree.  He needs to grow the fuck up.  However, with all due respect, let's not mix apples with oranges.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 02:16 »

Santonio, while dumb for having pot in his car, is hardly up to the Pacman/Henry level.

I did not say he was at that point just yet, "before" being the key word in the sentence you quoted. 

#3.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:17 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 02:18 »

Holmes cost Steelers dearly in loss to Giants
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

To no one's surprise, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not invite guests for his meeting with wide receiver Santonio Holmes yesterday. So we are left to speculate: The sit-down did not go well for Holmes. Tomlin did almost all of the talking. Holmes quickly learned how stupid and selfish he was for being charged Thursday for possession of a small amount of marijuana. He found out how much he let his teammates down by not being available for the 21-14 loss Sunday to the New York Giants after being deactivated for the game by an angry Tomlin. And he probably left the room significantly poorer after being fined by Tomlin for idiocy, if no other reason.

Really, how could that man to man have gone any other way?

There was another meeting at the Steelers' South Side headquarters a little later in the day, a team meeting. Again, Tomlin didn't allow visitors. Again, we are forced to speculate:

"All right, men, before we get started, Santonio has something he wants to say to all of you ..."

"I'd just like to say I'm sorry for not being there for you guys yesterday. You all played your guts out and I wasn't there to help. You depend on me to be a big part of this football team. I blew it. That loss is on me. It won't happen again."

Really, how could that meeting have gone any other way?

It would have been nice if Holmes had chosen to apologize publicly. You know, in person. People love apologies and are quick to forgive because they know how easy it is to make a mistake, even a dumb one. But Holmes and the Steelers took the easy way out, issuing a lame statement that was supposed to serve as his apology. The words -- if they were indeed Holmes' and not those of some staffer in the public relations office -- don't have the same impact on paper that they do coming from a man's heart. It's just too hard to measure sincerity on paper.

But it's no wonder that Holmes and the Steelers want this issue to go away as quickly as possible. This easily was the low point of their season because the incident was so unnecessary. It's not so much that Holmes' offense was so dastardly. Getting caught with three marijuana-filled cigars isn't the worst crime known to mankind, although having the blunts in your SUV is off the dumb charts when you know you can be stopped by police at any time for any reason from a faulty tail light to speeding or running a red light to, in Holmes' case, an investigatory stop of vehicles similar to his that allegedly were involved in the transportation of narcotics.

"Just his bad luck," a Pittsburgh police commander said of Holmes' arrest.

Just his stupidity, actually.

What's sad is the hurtful impact the incident had on the Steelers. It crushed their chances of beating the Giants. It's hard for any team to beat the defending Super Bowl champs without one of its best players. I'm not sure Holmes' absence wasn't the No. 1 reason the Steelers lost.

People were quick to blame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, which is fine. He's paid big money to take responsibility for the losses and he did not have one of his better games, throwing four interceptions. They also blamed the offensive line, which isn't so fine. Those guys played a decent game, certainly good enough to win. Most of the five sacks of Roethlisberger weren't their fault. The sacks happened because the receivers weren't getting open.

Holmes would have made a huge difference.

How could one of the NFL's top deep-threat, big-play receivers not make a difference?

Holmes should have sought out Roethlisberger and each of the offensive linemen yesterday to apologize individually.

It's nice to think the Steelers will have Holmes for their game Monday night at Washington. Tomlin wasn't available for comment yesterday, what with all of his meetings, but the guess here is he's satisfied that Holmes has paid his debt to the team. But the NFL? That might be a different story. The league didn't comment about Holmes' situation yesterday, but it seems possible he still could get a suspension for violating its drug policy or code of conduct.

"I recognize that I made a mistake and understand the significance of my actions," read the statement attributed to Holmes.

That's a good thing, I'm thinking.

Maybe it really won't happen again.

" will not make any excuses for my behavior," Holmes allegedly wrote.

That's a better thing.

There is no good excuse for it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08302/923385-87.stm
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 02:21 »

Without Holmes, offense stalled
Monday, October 27, 2008
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A small but still alarming portion of yesterday's bitter postgame rehash in and near the Steelers locker room was devoted to complimenting a Mr. Limas Lee Sweed, who caught three whole passes in a 21-14 loss to the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants, two of which resulted in first downs.

Yes, hooray.

"There is no question that there was some improvement," Mike Tomlin said of his second round draft choice who finally made it onto a professional stage last week in Cincinnati, "but he is in the process of writing that story."

Thankfully, having some experience in that area, I think this portion of the story should be written in letter form:

Dear Santonio,
Until I better understand everything that's required of a wideout in the National Football League and particularly within the wonderfully complex Bruce Arians offense, do you think you could manage to drive home in the middle of the week without getting arrested?
I appreciate the opportunity to get off the sideline and hold up your end of the passing game against the best football team in the world while you're cleaning any allegedly illegal substances out of your SUV, but this kind of disruption in the game plan probably couldn't have come at a worse time.

Respectfully,
Your friend,
LL Sweed Jr.
Wideout trainee.

No one wants to blame what was only Pittsburgh's second loss in seven games on young Limas, and no one wants to stash it in Santonio Holmes' police-inspected SUV either, but you can't help but notice that when Holmes is part of Ben Roethlisberger's starting offense, it generally does better on third down than 1 for 10.

Yesterday's 1-for-10 (and a combined 1 for 14 on third- and fourth-down conversion attempts) went a long way toward defining the first home loss to an NFC team around here since the St. Louis Rams beat Tommy Maddox and company, 33-21, five years ago yesterday. In between, the Steelers had beaten eight consecutive NFC teams at Heinz Field by an average of 16 points.

"Obviously you miss what Santonio brings," said Roethlisberger, who brought four interceptions into a stew that ran cold with the worst third-down offense since the Steelers went 0 for 8 at Green Bay on Nov. 6, 2005. "I want to give a lot of credit to Limas Sweed."

You'd suppose we should have seen this miserable offensive performance approaching like a suspicious vehicle all week. Holmes' ridiculous arrest was only part of it, as Hines Ward probably spent too much time re-interpreting remarks by NFL jurisprudence veep Ray Anderson regarding his season-ending wallop on Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers.

Ward wasn't exactly the picture of concentration yesterday either, false starting on one series and lining up incorrectly to draw an illegal formation flag on another. Throw in offensive penalties against Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon, whose calf-roping of New York's Justin Tuck nullified a second third-quarter touchdown by Nate Washington.

"I started to run down the field and I saw that flag coming out of the corner of my eye," Roethlisberger remembered. "But I'm not going to talk about the officials; we didn't play well enough today. They played great defense on third down and they did a great job on what in my opinion is the best tight end in the game."

Heath Miller caught as many passes as Sweed for 52 yards, including what would have been the longest completion of the day had Roethlisberger not found Washington behind a secondary for the third consecutive week on the second possession of the second half. Washington caught Ben's 65-yard touchdown pass at the Giants' 15, and somehow got an end zone escort from New York safety James Butler, who turned and ran with Nate rather than attempt anything very logical, such as a tackle.

Perhaps it was that spectacular play, which gave his team a 14-9 lead, that led Tomlin to largely exonerate Roethlisberger on the occasion of his worst passer rating of the year, 38.5. Tomlin thought the Giants merely made great plays on two first-half interceptions ("flashing into windows" was how the head coach put it). In the quarterback's defense, he was under heavy pressure, particularly in the second half. The Giants sacked him five times and hurried him at least as often.

"It's not like I'm talking to you guys for the last time this year," Roethlisberger said. "We already knew we weren't going undefeated. It's a loss. We never like to lose, but we move on. We stay together. OK?

"Be safe driving home."

Ya hear that, Santonio?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08301/923224-150.stm
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 06:53 »

Off the subject, but did anyone else notice that Dick Stockton called him SanAntonio Holmes yesterday?

Twice?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 12:03 »

Off the subject, but did anyone else notice that Dick Stockton called him SanAntonio Holmes yesterday?

Twice?

Clearly, Mr. Stockton gets all of his Steeler information from MGS.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 13:55 »

Steelers' Holmes will start against Redskins
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes will return to start for the Steelers Monday against the Redskins in Washington, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Tomlin made Holmes inactive for Sunday's game against the New York Giants after the wide receiver was charged with marijuana possession last Thursday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08302/923456-66.stm
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: