Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 22:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes: Marijuana Possession  (Read 4135 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 09:20 »

Merman, I don't give a shit if someone smokes it, so long as they're not endangering others.  Legalize it and tax it, fine with me.  But the laws being what they are, Holmes has to know they randomly test (and now, his piss will be going in the cup on a regular basis), has to know he can lose paychecks, has to know he can be out for a 4-game stint.

What really chaffs me about this isn't that the guy might have a taste for the sticky bud -- I'm sure Plax liked all that key lime pie for a reason.  The thing is, his actions affect the whole team.  He's saying that he's so fucking selfish, he doesn't give a rat's ass if it hurts our playoff chances.  He doesn't care that guys like Chris Hoke, who by all rights shouldn't have a place in this league but DO because of hard work and dedication to improving themselves and the team, is out there giving it his all on AND off the field, while he's had his warning (twice) and still makes dumbass decisions like this. 

The real problem is this.  We can probably survive having Nate in at SE for 4 weeks.  Get Sweed some reps in the slot.  OK.  Whatever.  But when Holmes's rookie deal is up, you know this will affect how the Rooneys want to handle any contract dealings.  They won't want to spend the money it will likely take to keep Holmes if he's got personal issues.  So, not to get overly dramatic here or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose Holmes to free agency.  Of course, he has time to right himself between now and 2011, but really the deal would need done by 2010 if we were to re-up him.  So that means, 2008, go through the traditional testing/counseling/fines/probation with good behavior.  2009, stay out of trouble, keep peeing clean. 2010, the Rooneys forgive and forget?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  If Sweed is clicking by then, maybe we lose this very talented young man for just not having good common sense.

I'd hate to see that.  Then again, SH's stats are way down this year.  Maybe there's a correlation?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 10:36 »

Merman, I don't give a shit if someone smokes it, so long as they're not endangering others.  Legalize it and tax it, fine with me.  But the laws being what they are, Holmes has to know they randomly test (and now, his piss will be going in the cup on a regular basis), has to know he can lose paychecks, has to know he can be out for a 4-game stint.

What really chaffs me about this isn't that the guy might have a taste for the sticky bud -- I'm sure Plax liked all that key lime pie for a reason.  The thing is, his actions affect the whole team.  He's saying that he's so fucking selfish, he doesn't give a rat's ass if it hurts our playoff chances.  He doesn't care that guys like Chris Hoke, who by all rights shouldn't have a place in this league but DO because of hard work and dedication to improving themselves and the team, is out there giving it his all on AND off the field, while he's had his warning (twice) and still makes dumbass decisions like this. 

The real problem is this.  We can probably survive having Nate in at SE for 4 weeks.  Get Sweed some reps in the slot.  OK.  Whatever.  But when Holmes's rookie deal is up, you know this will affect how the Rooneys want to handle any contract dealings.  They won't want to spend the money it will likely take to keep Holmes if he's got personal issues.  So, not to get overly dramatic here or anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose Holmes to free agency.  Of course, he has time to right himself between now and 2011, but really the deal would need done by 2010 if we were to re-up him.  So that means, 2008, go through the traditional testing/counseling/fines/probation with good behavior.  2009, stay out of trouble, keep peeing clean. 2010, the Rooneys forgive and forget?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  If Sweed is clicking by then, maybe we lose this very talented young man for just not having good common sense.

I'd hate to see that.  Then again, SH's stats are way down this year.  Maybe there's a correlation?

You're right about the selfishness.

Wasn't advocating his actions with my post, just pointing out how dumb you have to be to get caught.

So it's four games? I mean is that what Matt Jones got for getting caught doing lines off his steering wheel or whatever? Maybe there can be some kind of appeal since he technically wasn't caught in the act, and was extremely cooperative..

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 10:46 »

The thing I find odd is that Holmes was said to have showed up in fantastic shap, added muscle and all that.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 11:16 »

I don't know how this will work.  It's not like he failed a piss test.  He could say they weren't his.  If he's found not guilty at a trial, can the leage actually suspend or fine him for substance abuse?

I think were he may have a problem is under the leagues personal conduct policy.  He's getting close to that repeat offender status.  Maybe a fine, rehab, charity work, and a final warning?

I personally don't think the Steelers will suspend him.  As someone pointed out, if Harrison's actions didn't warrant a suspension, this wont.
ajv148

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:00 »

Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and

I read this to mean he wasn't driving around smoking.  The weed was in his car, but he wasn't smoking it, if he was, he would have been deemed "impaired".  No?  I think this should help. 

Unless he is now given a pee test and fails. 
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:08 »

Not too smart. Why would you risk millions to smoke the chronic? Smoke yourself silly after you retire. If he hasn't failed a pee test yet, he likely will. Unless he can hold the league off for 3-4 weeks, it will still be in his system. Not to smart, legally speaking, to admit to it on the side of the road. Leaves you with pretty much nothing to challenge the case or plea with. I think he just signed up for the league double secret probabtion drug program, and probably a couple game suspension. Ooops...

KTBFFH
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:12 »

Steelers' Tomlin to address Holmes drug charges after practice
Friday, October 24, 2008
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh police pulled over Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes in the Hill District and found three marijuana-filled cigars yesterday while they were on the lookout for a large stash of drugs in a sport utility vehicle.

Mr. Holmes, 24, of Ohio Township, told officers he had smoked marijuana in his sport utility vehicle the day before, according to a police affidavit, but he was not impaired at the time of the traffic stop around 4 p.m. at Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place.

Police let Mr. Holmes go and will charge him by summons through the mail with one misdemeanor count of prohibited acts -- in this case having a small amount of marijuana for personal use.

Following today's practice, Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin plans to address the situation and Mr. Holmes' status for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

Mr. Holmes was withheld from practice.

Reached at his home this afternoon, Mr. Holmes refused to comment.

It could not immediately be determined whether Mr. Holmes' SUV was the intended target of police officers at the Hill District station, but The Associated Press reported that the vehicle was not the one officers were seeking.

At the 3 p.m. roll call, the officers were told to look for an SUV with an out-of-state license plate traveling through the Hill District with a "large amount of narcotics," the police affidavit said.

An hour later, Officer Thomas Gorecki spotted Mr. Holmes' black SUV with Florida plates and pulled it over.

Mr. Holmes did not have his driver's license but handed over his registration and insurance paperwork.

Officers said they smelled marijuana in the SUV. Officer John Kusenko asked Mr. Holmes if he had been smoking marijuana in the SUV that day.

"No," Mr. Holmes told officers, according to the affidavit, "but yesterday I was."

Police said Mr. Holmes told them he had marijuana in the vehicle. He pointed out two marijuana-filled cigars, known as "blunts," in a vehicle compartment. Officers found a third blunt from a pack of cigars in the center console.

Thursday's arrest is the latest in a string of legal troubles for Mr. Holmes. In June 2006, he was arrested in Ohio on domestic violence charges, which were later dismissed. The charges stemmed from an incident involving LaShae Boone of Columbus, the mother of one of his three children. The charges were dismissed after the judge in the case was assured by Mr. Holmes' lawyers that their client was participating in ongoing counseling offered through the NFL.

Mr. Holmes also was arrested in South Beach, Fla., for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities in 2006. That charge was later dropped in exchange for a $250 donation to the Police Officers Assistance Trust Fund.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:25 »

*sigh*

The first two "incidents" were BS.

This one isn't and will hurt.

Just say "no," SanAntonio??

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:40 »

KDKA is reporting that Holmes will be "deactivated" for Sunday's game.

This guy can smoke until he's blue in the face for all I care.  If he wants to fail piss test after piss test and take the Ricky Williams road, that's fine by me.  Just stay off the roads that my family travel on, that my friends travel and that I travel on.

"It's only weed" until this goof hits a family of four with that SUV while stoned. Eitherway, Holmes was lucky the second case was simply thrown out.  I wonder how much Lashae Boone was paid for that one?
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:49 »

Just bump the kickoff to 4:20 and let him play.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: