Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 04:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes: Marijuana Possession  (Read 4104 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 12:52 »

And now confirmed by the PPG....

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes did not practice with the team today and will not play in Sunday's game against the New York Giants after police said they stopped him with marijuana yesterday.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes, a third-year receiver who is second on the team with 22 catches and 360 yards receiving, will be listed as inactive for the game. He declined to say if Holmes had been suspended by the team or docked one game's pay.

"At this point we've chosen to name him as inactive," Tomlin said after practice. "His situation has created somewhat of a distraction and we want to minimize that as much as we can and remain focused on the task at hand."

Tomlin met with Holmes earlier today and told him he will not be allowed on the sidelines at Heinz Field and to report back to work Monday.

Contacted at home, Holmes said he had no comment.

An NFL spokesman said the matter is being reviewed under the league's substance abuse policy. However, he said the league would not comment.

"We're paid to deal with distractions; the great teams are ones that do," Tomlin said. "They find a way to get the job done. When you're a good team, there are going to be distractions because with good teams there comes attention."

Holmes will be replaced in the starting lineup by Nate Washington, who has touchdown catches of 48 and 50 yards the past two games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08298/922557-66.stm
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:09 »

I personally don't think the Steelers will suspend him.  As someone pointed out, if Harrison's actions didn't warrant a suspension, this wont.

Well, guess I was wrong.  Being held out of a game and not allowed on the sidelines sounds like a suspension to me.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:31 »

I personally don't think the Steelers will suspend him.  As someone pointed out, if Harrison's actions didn't warrant a suspension, this wont.

Well, guess I was wrong.  Being held out of a game and not allowed on the sidelines sounds like a suspension to me.

You and me both.  After the third incident, the second one being the eye opener for me, I'm guessing the Steelers decided to put an end to this before it get's any worse.  Hopefully it get's through to Holmes, but I'm not holding my breath when it comes to this guy.  Even though it stinks, I agree with Tomlin's decision 100%.

IMO, Holmes needs to take a strong look at players like Ward, Moore, Clark, Aaron Smith, Nate, Hokey and start following that lead if he plans on lasting in this city and on this team.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:47 »

So it's four games? I mean is that what Matt Jones got for getting caught doing lines off his steering wheel or whatever? Maybe there can be some kind of appeal since he technically wasn't caught in the act, and was extremely cooperative..

I think the NFL will give him one game, probably in addition to Tomlin's decision, but he would get 4 for flunking a pee test.  Matt Jones and Kevin Faulk faced similar situations.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 13:49 »

The thing I find odd is that Holmes was said to have showed up in fantastic shap, added muscle and all that.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:08 »

IMO, this is huge as he was primed to have a big game against the underachieving (lately) Aaron Ross.

Who gets bumped for more PT?  Baker or Sweed?

Oh, and this might be a good time to suggest throwing to Miller, a lot.  6 to 8 looks, min.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:11 »

I think Nate can get it done against Ross.

We should be throwing a ton to Heat anyway.

Thought I'd read that both Sweed and Baker would be activated, too?

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:18 »

That'd be surprising now if Sweed and Baker were inactive... I figure it'd be Sweed going if Baker is still hurt.

You know who is becoming a great slot receiver for this team?  Mewelde Moore.  I thought I recaled him lining up in the slot on 4/5 WR sets making a couple underneath catches on a curl and slant.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 14:22 »

That'd be surprising now if Sweed and Baker were inactive... I figure it'd be Sweed going if Baker is still hurt.

You know who is becoming a great slot receiver for this team?  Mewelde Moore.  I thought I recaled him lining up in the slot on 4/5 WR sets making a couple underneath catches on a curl and slant.

I agree.  And against the Giants blitz, I hope to hear the phrase "complete, to Mewelde Moore" over and over.

jaguarbond007
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 18:32 »

It almost sounded like profiling to me. they just happened to be looking for a vehicle similar to his. The "distraction" comment is stupid. Last time I checked a football field is the same size every week. If I'm on the Steelers Defense I'm not thinking "Oh boy, Holmes just got stopped and had marijuana in his car, should i blitz? I'm really distracted, I forgot the play, boy this Holmes situation is really throwing off my game. We should suspend him. I don't think I should play with this distraction."

I'm sure as Ben goes back to pass he's not thinking: "Oh my god Holmes was stopped and had marijuana in his possession. This is to distracting, who should I throw to? This distraction is terrible I don't think I can throw a pass. I'll just take the sack do to this distraction."

The O line: "This Holmes distraction is really hurting my ability to block. Maybe we should forfeit because the distraction is more powerful then me doing my job, the job I get paid to do."

The coaching Staff: "this distraction is really hurting our decision making. We're not experienced enough to make decisions while being distracted by something completely non football related"

The WR: "Holmes is out, I'm in, how do I catch the football with this distraction."

The Rooneys: "This is such a distraction we can't figure out if we should sell the team. This situation is far too difficult for us to do our job."

The grass on the field: "Holmes is not playing, if i were going to be grass I'd rather be marijuana than a blade of grass on the football field. I"m not sure how the team is going to manage such a DISTRACTION. Will I survive as a blade of grass on this field with this off field distraction.'

So basically this distraction is so catastrophic that the entire Steelers organization is in disarray. Let it go. the guy made a mistake. He was entirely honest. Although i'm sure it wasn't a great moment for him either. It's too bad that all those that judge or holier than thou. I'm not completely defending him, but let's not overreact. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: