Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 22:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you buying it?  (Read 826 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:00 »

I'm not sure where to put this thread, if it is in the wrong section, I apologize.  Please move it if that is the case.  Thanks.  Anyways, this story seems just a tad bit shady for a number of reasons.  Two being...

1) Why didn't anyone come to this guys rescue?

2) Why was it never reported on the local news?

Anyways, what do you guys think?

http://www.thelotd.com/lance

How was your fan experience Sunday?

My name is Randy and I'm from Miamisburg. I am a lifelong diehard Bengal
fan. I can really only afford to go to one game a year and we chose Pittsburgh
this year hoping for great weather and we got it. It was my step-daughters
first Bengal's game and she was excited. Me, my wife and daughter met up with a
my son and a bunch of my friends to tailgate early and had a blast eating and
playing cornhole. It was great and she loved it.

We got seats on ebay sitting 28 yards up from the field dead center end zone.
We were already down 10-0 and Pittsburgh was driving right towards us. There
was a row of Steelers fans behind us. The guy directly behind me, (I had an
aisle seat) spilled beer on me and I asked him to him to watch it. They started
mouthing off about the Bengals and Mike Brown, whatever.

My wife and daughter went to the restroom. The guy directly me kept going on
about Mike Brown and I finally said, "At least he isn't selling our team. You
guys might end up the LA Steelers". I never turned around once or confronted
anyone. It was just banter during the game. Let's face it, it's pretty hard to
come up with anything to defend this franchise currently. Besides this wasn't a
fan on the losing side they were well on there way to victory.

The next thing I know I felt a crushing blow to the side of my face. I fell,
not really sure where since it knocked me out. I woke up in the security office
with my face being attended to. I was covered in blood and my face was a mess.
When I fell I must have hit a railing and went face first to the concrete stairs.
I have a broken wrist and a bruised knee.

They informed me that they did catch one of the three but that he admitted to
being the driver of the other two and didn't throw the punch so they didn't hold
him. I was pretty upset over this nonetheless. They didn't follow him to his
car to arrest the one who did punch me.

I have seen fights and altercations at previous games but this was different.
I have heard of it happening in other cities. They talk about it on the message
boards. It's called Hit and Run or Blast and Bolt as well as other things.

They go with the intention of finding someone to blindside and run. A total
sucker punch. They get out and knowing that the police aren't likely to follow
up on what is a misdemeanor. Yes, the police informed me it's a misdemeanor
since he didn't use a weapon like a bottle. It's further unlikely they will
follow up since they don't know who it is. Well, they have a camera footage of
him but it's unlikely they will do anything with it. The whole process is
unnerving.

Apparently it's more popular in bigger cities like Chicago, Philly and New York
but it seems to be spreading. So now I'm left to wonder where to go from her.
I am a victim. I have no real course of retribution as the police didn't see fit or plan on attempting to find out who did it. The experience ended bad for my wife an daughter and I will
never put them in harms way by going again. Are fans heading the way of
European soccer? You're crazy to take a kid to the game.

http://bengalsjungle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7961
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2008 at 17:36 »

I hate to say it, but it wouldn't shock me if it were true.  Fact is that Steeler fans are pretty rowdy and often pretty drunk.  I wouldn't take my son to a game until he was well on the way to building up to his current frame of 6-1, 280.

From what I've seen at other stadiums, they generally conduct themselves according to the "norm" in that venue, but who knows?

At the Carolina game in 2006, a Pgh. fan in front of me started yelling "What the f---?" etc.  There were a number of younger kids around, mostly Panther fans, and several parents kind of said, "Hey!"  The guy eased up from that point on.  It was just a much more kid-friendly environment and there were many more young kids there than I've ever seen at Heinz Field.

But at the same game, a Steeler fan and a Panther fan got into it right behind us, after the Panther fan threw a beer.  Obviously his fault, but I'm sure they were fairly annoyed that we had taken over their stadium.

So, it wouldn't shock me.  There are idiot fans for every team.  I'd say the passion and alchohol that generally inhabit Steeler fans might make them more volatile than others.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 00:58 »

Being at Heinz/TR for every game, I think we are pretty well behaved for the most part.  I never see fights at the games.  There is razzing, but that's to be expected and it's harmless fun for the most part.  When we meet up with the Eagles at home, I see more Eagle fans getting booted out of the stadium than Steeler fans.  Two in one game back a few years back (when we ended the streak).  I'm not stating we are all innocent, there are idiots in all stadiums, but I do not feel it's nearly as bad as some may think.

Swearing is another story.  I go to games expecting foul language.  It's going to happen.  There is not much you can really do about that.  My dad took me to my first game when I was four and it was worse back then compared to now.  Fist fights with Brown fans, sneaking in liquor with no worries and swearing galore.  There were no cards handed out as you entered the gates with a phone number on the card if you have a complaint.

Eitherway, this guy's story just doesn't add up in my book for a number of reasons.

1) Zero media attention.  I would think if a Steeler fan beat the hell out of a Bengal fan in Cincinnati it would make news.  Particulary with that supposed "camera footage".  Papers, local news, anything.  If this incident occured in Pittsburgh and the tables were turned, it would have been breaking news on all three local news channels.  Little odd.

2) Nobody noticed this altercation?  There are only a few hundred surrounding this guy.

3) Head injury + broken wrist = felony assault = Zero police action and no medical attention?  That sounds shady to begin with.  Cops tend to take that seriously.  This wasn't just a push and a shove and both involved simply walked away.  This guy is claiming he was sucker punched, with a broken wrist, concussion/head injury. 

4) One fan was detained, but was simply let go because he was the driver?  Give me a break.  The police would have held that guy until he helped them find his buddies or at least given them information on the ones who were supposedly involved.  Afterall, he's the driver.  I find it very hard to believe that Cincinnati police would simply let a Steeler fan off the hook.  It's bad enough our football team beats the hell out of them on the field, they do not want our fans beating the hell out of them off the field.

My guess, dude was drunk, fell flat on his face.  Now THAT, I do see more often at football games.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 01:41 »

My name is Randy and I'm from Miamisburg. I am a lifelong diehard Bengal
fan. I can really only afford to go to one game a year and we chose Pittsburgh
this year hoping for great weather and we got it. It was my step-daughters
first Bengal's game and she was excited. Me, my wife and daughter met up with a
my son and a bunch of my friends to tailgate early and had a blast eating and
playing cornhole. It was great and she loved it.

Im selling this crap.  can afford only going to one game a year and chooses the steeler game hoping for good weather?  yeah ok!

arrived early to tailgate and no mention of alcohol??

if you asked me, i think this guy showed up early drunk, drank more while tailgating, may or may not have eaten the cornholes of his wife, step-daughter, and possibly his son while drunk.  but, actually pissed himself inside the stadium and while getting up to go to the bathroom stumbled but failed to brace himself inorder not to spill the beer he already had in his hand and effd up his face.

and would a self respecting steeler fan who chooses to pick on some bengal fan really make fun of Mike Brown of all people when there is a relative cornacopia of bengal reps to pick from?

anyway, i have a brand spankin new avatar courtesy of Randy from Miamisburg, OH..thanks bud

Stories like these grow so tiresome

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 19:00 »

Isn't that a Rudi replica he has on?  He probably got his ass kicked by the Bengals fans in attendance.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2008 at 19:31 »

I've read this story (or something like it) before - seems it comes out every year or so.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: