Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 19:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodson - HOF nominee  (Read 2137 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Oct 28, 2008 at 17:05 »

Steelers' great Woodson among Hall of Fame nominees
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Steelers great Rod Woodson joins Buffalo defensive end Bruce Smith, both eligible for the first time, highlight the 133 nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2009, released today.

Woodson should be the first post-Steel Curtain era Steelers player inducted into the Hall of Fame, and the first since John Stallworth was inducted in 2002. He was voted to the NFL's prestigious all-75th anniversary team and played 17 seasons as a cornerback and safety in the NFL.

He played his first 10 seasons as a cornerback with the Steelers, then left as a free agent and played with San Francisco, Baltimore and Oakland, winning a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens.

Woodson made the Pro Bowl 11 times and his 71 career interceptions rank third all-time in the NFL.

Hall of Fame selectors will whittle the list to 25 modern-era semifinalists next month, then to 15 finalists. A final vote will take place Jan. 31, when between four and seven members are selected from the 15 finalists and two seniors nominees, Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrye.

Former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson, linebackers Kevin Greene and Hardy Nickerson, personnel director Art Rooney Jr and coach Buddy Parker are repeat nominees, as are former Pitt linemen Russ Grimm and Mark May and linebacker Rickey Jackson.

The complete list of nominees:

First-Year Eligible Nominees

RUNNING BACKS -- Larry Centers, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR)

TIGHT ENDS -- Shannon Sharpe, Frank Wycheck

OFFENSIVE TACKLE -- Lincoln Kennedy

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN -- John Randle (DE/DT), Bruce Smith (DE), Dana Stubblefield (DT)

LINEBACKER -- Jessie Armstead

DEFENSIVE BACKS -- Darren Woodson (S), Rod Woodson (CB/S)

Additional Nominees

QUARTERBACKS -- Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams

RUNNING BACKS -- Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Greg Pruitt (also KR/PR), Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS -- Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, *Cris Carter, Wes Chandler, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Irving Fryar, Roy Green, Harold Jackson, Herman Moore, Stanley Morgan, *Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe

TIGHT ENDS -- Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Steve Jordan

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN -- Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Randy Cross (G/C), Dave Dalby (C), Dermontti Dawson (C), Ray Donaldson (C), *Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Henry Lawrence (G/T), Mark May (G/T/C), *Randall McDaniel (G), Max Montoya (G), Marvin Powell (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN -- Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed "Too Tall" Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Steve McMichael (DT/NT), Leslie O'Neal (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Art Still (DE)

LINEBACKERS -- Cornelius Bennett, Robert Brazile, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Tom Jackson, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, *Derrick Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS -- Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Deron Cherry (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Eugene Robinson (S), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

PUNTERS/KICKERS -- Rich Camarillo (P), *Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

SPECIAL TEAMS/WIDE RECEIVER -- Steve Tasker

COACHES -- Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy

CONTRIBUTORS -- Bud Adams, Gil Brandt, C.O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Ben Dreith, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, *Paul Tagliabue, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young

jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 20:44 »

Kevin Greene too.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
jasonic

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 20:45 »

as well as Donnie Shell

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 00:43 »

I feel old- some of those nominees- I was like damn, they've been retired for 5 years or longer?
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 07:32 »

I still don't understand how Kevin Greene isn't in. I know there are some voters who have blatantly said they would not vote anymore Steelers in, but the numbers don't lie. I think he has 160 sacks and is the alltime leader among linebackers in NFL history. And he didn't even play most of his career with Pittsburgh. Much more worthy than Andre Tippett or whatever token Cheatriot got in last time.

Oh and if Rod and the Bus (when it's his turn) doesn't make it, that would be a fucking crime.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 09:51 »

Smith and Woodson, R. are locks.  As is, sad to say, Mushmouth Sharpe.  He'll probably do something stupid like wear his jacket during the pregame show.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 10:27 »

It's a crime that Donnie Shell isn't in there yet.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jasonic

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 12:14 »

he'll probably wear those glasses too.  he's an intellect now....

is Avoid Lloyd ever going to get in or do you think he's being blackballed because of his cursing and to much of a badass attitude in the pansy league?

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 12:20 »

he'll probably wear those glasses too.  he's an intellect now....

is Avoid Lloyd ever going to get in or do you think he's being blackballed because of his cursing and to much of a badass attitude in the pansy league?

Lloyd won't get in, I don't think.  He defines the era for us as Steelers fans, but, because the team didn't win anything for the most part, I doubt he's fixed in the national consciousness enough to get in. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 12:22 »

would be interesting to see how many fines he would get now.  him and ward would be a virtual ATM for the NFL.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: