Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 20:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we be concerned yet?  (Read 1887 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Oct 31, 2008 at 21:24 »

I continue to hear....

"Don't worry.  Last season, we didn't come on strong until around December."

Key word there being "last".  This year is a different season, a different team and different situations.  Add that to the fact that there are three other teams in this division who are very capable of making the playoffs every year.

I am thoroughly convinced after watching these last two-three games, that Shero may want to make a move at some point in the near future.  There have been two bright spots on this team, our goaltending (both) and our defense.  That's about where it stops and you can't bank on them every night.  It's not fair to them.  If your offense is completely lacking, both of those bright spots will eventually start to suffer.

At this point, we are capable of putting one line out there that can produce....Sid-Malkin-(insert name).  That's it.  We are unable to get production from our second and third lines.  We have Sid playing with guys who are second/third line wingers at best.  Once again, I'm not looking for a 7-8 million dollar winger.  There are players out there who you can trade for that would cost us around 4-5 million a year.  We could have picked one up in the offseason, but we chose the cheaper and less talented Satan.  You get what you pay for.   

or....

We can continue to watch Therrien juggle the lines every other night to no evail, lose valuable points, drop in the standings and continue to tell ourselves that "It's still early" and "Look what we did last season".
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008 at 21:36 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2008 at 23:41 »

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 09:53 »

When Ty Kennedy and Matt Cooke are on lines 1 and 2, it's time to be concerned.  Both are reasonable for the 3rd line but no higher.

When Bissonette and Godard both dress, it's time to be concerned. 

I heard about a rumor of a trade with ATL for Kov...make it happen.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 10:04 »

I've been in this argument with people all season. I don't care if we started slow last year. Watched every game this year except for the last loss in Phoenix, and it's all the same: Goaltending and defense keeping a sloppy offense in games.

Missing Gonch and Whitney can't be helping from an offensive standpoint, but I think Letang has been great and Goligoski has been solid offensively as well as moving the puck up ice, considering how inexperienced he is. The PK has been good and the rest of the D has played well enough to win most of the games.

It's coming down to lack of options on the offensive end. Yeah with have the top two players in the world but they can't turn 3rd liners into 40 goal scorers. ANd putting them on the same line makes it really easy for the opposing team to put out their checking lines and shut them down.

While I don't think Pesonen is the answer, maybe he has a set of NHL hands and can actually finish once in a while when he's setup with a wide open fucking net in front of him. Maybe he can handle a pass in traffic and put in on the net, because outisde 87 and 71 there apparently isn't anyone on this team capable of doing that.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 11:03 »

I heard about a rumor of a trade with ATL for Kov...make it happen.

http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?topic=16290.0

Like I said, I listened and did not hear Feaster bring up a deal between the Pens and Thrashers, let alone it involving Kovalchuk.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 12:07 »

When Ty Kennedy and Matt Cooke are on lines 1 and 2, it's time to be concerned.  Both are reasonable for the 3rd line but no higher.

People want to keep blaming the injuries to Whitney and Gonchar for our lack of offensive production and while that doesn't help, that's no excuse for not being able to get shots on net.  It's not the defense's fault that the offense can't take a pass by Crosby or Malkin and put it in a wide-open net.  It's not the defense's fault that when we dump, we don't chase, dig for pucks or cycle the puck down low effectively. 

When Bissonette and Godard both dress, it's time to be concerned.

Oddly enough, I feel Godard has been our best "replacement" player.  He came in to take over for Laraque and he has shown better skills in the offensive zone.  He may not win all his fights, but the guy has no problem dropping the gloves and the fights he does lose, he tends to get a few good ones in there before it's broken up.  I can also say the same about Bissonnette.  The guy is a middle-weight, but he wins fights.  Overall, I feel our fourth line has dones it's specific job the best out of any of the other three lines.  That's not counting Ziggy coming in and winning faceoffs.

We are at the point right now where we are trying to move career fourth liners to the third and second lines and move career third liners to the first line.  It's not working and I can't blame Therrien.  It's not his fault that we went out and grabbed a few third and second (tops) third liners to play with Crosby and Malkin.  Now we are banking on Janne Pesonen to give that offensive spark.  That's scary.  Maybe he comes in and lights up the lamp on that first line, that still leaves us with a second and third that is not producing. 

Before this 'western' road trip, I was willing to give it time and see how they do on the road against a true test.  Hell, I didn't even care if we came away from this road trip with two total points out of a possible six, but we are not even showing up in these games and that's what's concerning.  We look flat, frustrated, confused and most importantly....lackin g overall talent.  A move needs to be made.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 12:23 »

At least Talbot and Therrien are on the same and correct page.  Talbot said it best after the Phoenix loss....

"It's a new year," center Max Talbot said. "If we didn't know that, this should be a pretty good sign."

And Therrien said it best after hearing the excuse making from Gill...

Defenseman Hal Gill suggested that the Penguins are still getting to know one another after a lot of offseason roster changes, but Therrien wasn't buying it.

"That's an excuse," he said.

whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 12:38 »

I think Gaborik is a free agent after this season, maybe Minnesota tries to deal him if they can't agree to a deal. Gaborik is one of the best wingers in the game, and would certainly be an amazing acquisition...a really expensive one too. I'm a big Jordan Staal fan because he's such a great penalty killer, but I'd deal him to get Gaborik in a heartbeat. The last I heard Minnesota was trying pretty hard to get a deal done though.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 12:59 »

I think Gaborik is a free agent after this season, maybe Minnesota tries to deal him if they can't agree to a deal. Gaborik is one of the best wingers in the game, and would certainly be an amazing acquisition...a really expensive one too. I'm a big Jordan Staal fan because he's such a great penalty killer, but I'd deal him to get Gaborik in a heartbeat. The last I heard Minnesota was trying pretty hard to get a deal done though.

While I love the talent Gaborik can bring to this team, his injury proneness concerns the hell out of me.  Over the last four seasons, the guy has played one season in which he played over 65 games.  He's hurt right now as we speak.  He is getting paid around 7.0 million a year.  That's a good chunk of change to be spending on a guy who can't stay healthy.

IMO, it would be a waste of BIG bucks.  Money that could go towards a different and better trade.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 14:40 »

That's a concern on mine as well. He's definitely injury prone, and it would be a gamble. The upside is pretty high though...He'd definitely want big money too.

What do you think about Martin Havlat? He's had some injuries, but he's a huge talent IMO. Chicago has a young core of players and might try and deal him to make room to keep their future bright. He's currently making 6 Mil a year...

We obviously need a first line winger. Our offense is hurting right now, and I don't see us getting better all of a sudden. Satan is garbage, he can't hang on the first two lines. He's good at positioning himself for garbage goals on the pp though. I wouldn't mind seeing him out there on that, but he's definitely not a 1st or 2nd line winger. I like TK's energy, but I don't think he's got enough talent to be on the first line. Dupuis has played alright, but he can't find the net. Either he has to find the twine or he's gotta move down a line or two. We need help, and I think that the only way we're gonna get that is by making a deal. Like I said, I really like Staal, but a good third line center isn't a rarity in this league. He can be replaced, I just don't know how high is stock is right now. I also wouldn't mind trading Gonchar. I know that sounds crazy, but we have a lot of good defenseman. I think Gonchar is 35 now. He's only got a couple years left in his tank, trading him now while his stock is high would be the smartest move. Thoughts?

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: