Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 06:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we be concerned yet?  (Read 2138 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 15:20 »

That's a concern on mine as well. He's definitely injury prone, and it would be a gamble. The upside is pretty high though...He'd definitely want big money too.

What do you think about Martin Havlat? He's had some injuries, but he's a huge talent IMO. Chicago has a young core of players and might try and deal him to make room to keep their future bright. He's currently making 6 Mil a year...

We obviously need a first line winger. Our offense is hurting right now, and I don't see us getting better all of a sudden. Satan is garbage, he can't hang on the first two lines. He's good at positioning himself for garbage goals on the pp though. I wouldn't mind seeing him out there on that, but he's definitely not a 1st or 2nd line winger. I like TK's energy, but I don't think he's got enough talent to be on the first line. Dupuis has played alright, but he can't find the net. Either he has to find the twine or he's gotta move down a line or two. We need help, and I think that the only way we're gonna get that is by making a deal. Like I said, I really like Staal, but a good third line center isn't a rarity in this league. He can be replaced, I just don't know how high is stock is right now. I also wouldn't mind trading Gonchar. I know that sounds crazy, but we have a lot of good defenseman. I think Gonchar is 35 now. He's only got a couple years left in his tank, trading him now while his stock is high would be the smartest move. Thoughts?

If Gaborik could stay healthy, there is no doubt the upside is great.  The only problem, the guy can't stay healthy.  He plays six games, breaks a nail and is out for two months.  IMO, that's way too much money to be gambling on a guy who can't stay healthy long enough to have an impact on your team.  Havlat is a better option, only because your spending one million dollars less compared to what you would be paying for Gaborik.  Havlat is still going to cost you around 6 million a year and his longevity is an issue.  This is a team who has to make wise decisions when it comes to spending/trading.

As I've stated before, I would rather see us attempt to go after a Cheechoo or Huselius type player.  Both are making between 4-5 million a year.  I'm not sure the Blue Jackets would be willing to trade for Huselius, simply because he is all they got after Nash and Umberger.  They signed him in the offseason for a little under $5 million a year for four years and he's producing.  Cheechoo on the other hand is a possibility in my opinion.  There were rumors flying around last year pertaining to Shero talking to the Sharks about a Cheechoo deal (for Whitney).  I would love to have either Cheechoo or Huselius.

Gonchar being traded is slim to none for a few reasons in my opinion. 

1 - He's pretty much out for the whole regular season.  I'm not sure too many teams would jump on it for that fact alone.

2 - When and if he comes back for the playoffs and if we are even in the playoffs, we are going to need him.  Particulary when it comes to QB'ing the PP at the point and bringing some type of offensive threat out of that defense.

If both Letang and Goligoski were about five years older and could play at or around Gonchar's level, then I would have no problem dumping Gonchar's salary and age in exchange for a younger forward who can hang on that first line and produce on a regular basis. 

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008 at 15:24 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 12:05 »

So much for the Janne Pesonen experiment....

PESONEN & MINARD SENT BACK

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-assigned forwards Chris Minard and Janne Pesonen to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Minard, the 6-1, 200-pound forward played two games, posting three shots and three hits during his stint with Pittsburgh. Prior to his recall, the 26-year old led the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with 13 points (seven goals, six assists) in seven games. Minard also tied for the team lead with two game-winning goals and a plus nine rating before joining Pittsburgh.

Pesonen, 26, made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh November 1 against the St. Louis Blues. At the time of his recall, the 5-11, 180-pound forward skated in seven games for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, ranking third on the team with nine points (two goals, seven assists) and tying for the club lead with a plus nine rating. Pesonen skated in three preseason games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, registering two points (one goal, one assist).

Minard and Pesonen will join the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins today in Houston for a match-up against the Aeros.

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/bl...ag=KDKA_Sports
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 15:18 »

Some experiment, Pesonen skated all of what 5 minutes with the 4th line? Hell, Sid wouldn't generate anything skating with Zigomanis and Goddard for 5 minutes. If Pesonen ever accomplishes anything in the NHL it's not going to be as a 4th liner. If the Pens need a 4th line player, call up Ryan Stone or Aaron Boogaard, not Pesonen. If he maintains his prodtuction in WB/S and eventually earns a legitimate call-up, he has to be given a look on one of the top 2 lines or calling him up will have been a complete waste.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 18:31 »

I'm still sticking with my belief when Pesonen was sent down in the beginning of the season and when he was sent down for the second time today.....

Kid was putting up numbers over in Finland.  Fans saw those numbers when he was signed by the Pens.  Said, "wow, great signing Ray, kid must be good" even though he's not accustomed to North American hockey and has never played a professional game in his life up until four nights ago.  Now we are in this situation.  Like I said before, kid looked so/so in TC/preseason.  Nothing great.  Nothing spectacular.  Good speed, decent hands, couldn't finish.  First thought....Koltsov.  Pens sent him down.

I think it's also worth noting that there were not many teams jumping for this kid's services before the Penguins came along.  It's not as if we were in a contract battle with 4-5 other teams.  I'm not stating he's going to bomb, but I think many in this city thought we were getting the second coming of Jari Kurri.  If he's going to make it on this roster, it's going to take time.  Maybe Shero/Therrien just wanted to see how far he came along since the beginning of the season.  They felt they saw enough and decided he needed more time down in WBS.  So, the Pens sent him down for a second time.

I'm sure if he continue to produce down in WBS and shows he can also carry that talent over to the NHL level, he will be back up here.  Until then, I have no problem with them letting him get use to North American hockey and the different skill level in general.  Until then, I would rather see us look around for a trade that can help us right now with no worries or questions asked.

whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 12:23 »

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=390715
Projected Lines:
Forwards
Talbot-Crosby-Satan
Dupuis-Malkin-Sykora
Kennedy-Staal-Cooke
Bissonnette-Zigomanis-Godard

Defense
Orpik-Letang
Scuderi-Gill
Sydor-Goligoski

Goalkeeper
Fleury

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 12:34 »

Looks like we are running out of options. 

I love Max and I do not feel he's a horrible option for LW on line one, but I do not feel he's the answer.  At least he's capable of finding the back of the net from time to time.  He hustles night in and night out.  Satan being put back on the first line (again) is not exactly a shocker.  Pens put up the money to bring him here and he's considered 'the man' to help cushion the Hossa departure, so they feel 'let's try it again'.  Hopefully unlike the first time around, he takes advantage of the second opportunity.

IMO, Dupuis on the second is not going to be any different than Dupuis on the first.  If you can't finish, you can't finish.  It doesn't matter if it's Malkin or Sid setting you up in front of the net.

Hell, maybe these lines work out and we start winning a few games, I still feel we need a legitimate goal scorer to play on Sid's LW.  We need more production from the the first two lines if we want to go deep in the playoffs. 
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 14:22 »

I'm also fine with line #1. Max seems to be the best option out there with Sid. Seems like they have chemistry out there, plus they both hustle to create opportunities. Hopefully this will create opportunities for Satan out in front in range of his shot.

Dupuis and his stone hands have no place on any scoring line. Those 20 goals he netted in 02-03 must have been 20 of the flukiest bounces off a stick in nhl history. He's a  third liner and a good PKer.

That said, I know we're low on options, but doesn't it make more sense to play Kennedy one line #2 with Malkin and Sykora? Not that he's the next great scoring winger but he seems to have at least some scoring touch and does crash the net. Switching Kennedy for Dupuis obviously doesn't solve all of our problems but it seems like a better skill allocation to me.

This deadline or offseason, we are going to see a move for a top wing for Sid. It's inevitable. Whether it's a FA signing, deadline deal, whatever. I'll give Shero a pass this year because of all of the Hossa nonsense this FA period, but I think he, and the rest of the organization knows what it's going to take to get this team over the hump.
whitmer_87

« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 14:36 »

Looks like we are running out of options. 

I love Max and I do not feel he's a horrible option for LW on line one, but I do not feel he's the answer.  At least he's capable of finding the back of the net from time to time.  He hustles night in and night out.  Satan being put back on the first line (again) is not exactly a shocker.  Pens put up the money to bring him here and he's considered 'the man' to help cushion the Hossa departure, so they feel 'let's try it again'.  Hopefully unlike the first time around, he takes advantage of the second opportunity.

IMO, Dupuis on the second is not going to be any different than Dupuis on the first.  If you can't finish, you can't finish.  It doesn't matter if it's Malkin or Sid setting you up in front of the net.

Hell, maybe these lines work out and we start winning a few games, I still feel we need a legitimate goal scorer to play on Sid's LW.  We need more production from the the first two lines if we want to go deep in the playoffs. 

All things considered I really like that Max is getting a shot on the first line. I think most of us agree that Satan isn't the answer to our offensive woes. I'll say it again, I don't mind seeing him out there on the PP because positioning is everything on the PP, and he's really good at that. However, I think he should be the third line winger. I think he can be a solid winger on that line.

As we talked about before, I think we have to make a move in order to find an adequate winger. I agree with you on Cheechoo, I think he could be a solid signing. We'll see how things unfold, hopefully we can be competitive and win some games in the mean time.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
whitmer_87

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 00:39 »

Pens looked good tonight! Satan played well on the first line, Sid got a lot of chances. It's just a matter of time before he starts burying it in the back of the net.

Really gotta work on playing with the lead, this is getting kind of ridiculous. But a wins and win, and at least our offense didn't look like shit.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 17:41 »

They looked great last night for 40 minutes of hockey.  Talbot makes that first line click.  It's good to see him get a shot and take advantage of the opportunity.  Satan's first goal was unbelievable.  Hopefully he can keep it up.

It's been said time and time again, but this team struggles when they have a lead.  Even Fleury played a shitty third period.  From what I heard, Therrien flew off the handle after the game behind closed doors.  The guy has to say/do something.

I thought Cooke played a great game.  Throwing his body around and agitating the hell out of the Oilers and ended up giving up a 5 on 3 PP advantage.  Jarkko who?  It's just a shame this team absolutely sucks when we have a 5 on 3 PP.  We pass, pass, pass and never shoot.  At this point, I would rather see this team on a 5 on 4. 

It was also nice to see Godard beat the living shit out of a guy who is 6'5" 250.  Georges who?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: