Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 17, 2014 at 14:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 Million votes in and the popular vote is tight  (Read 1862 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Nov 04, 2008 at 21:21 »

With 34% of the votes counted.  They're saying it's about an 800K difference at the moment.

But the electoral vote is a blowout at 207 to 95.

The senate is standing at 54 - 36.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 21:33 »

Yeah, popular vote don't mean nuttin'.
See: Bush/Gore 2000

I'm still the one with the boobs.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 21:51 »

True dat.  FL and VA are going to Obama, that's 40 more.  You know CA will and that's another 55.  That's puts him to 302-95, done deal.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
burghboi
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 22:08 »

obama wins fuck yes
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 22:14 »

For once the polls were actually correct.   clap  yeh  applause  hello2 usa2

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 22:39 »

I cannot express how excited I am by this.
I truly, deeply believe in this man.

I know there is always the chance they will turn out not to be the person you believe them to be, but I have my HOPE to guide me.
 clap eck02 yeh

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 23:57 »

Up by about 4 million now... Solid as Barack!!
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 01:16 »

Up by about 4 million now... Solid as Barack!!

Peaches and Herb, baby, Peaches and Herb.
 Azn

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 06:50 »

Congratulations to President-elect Obama and the Dems for a sweeping victory. It is kind of liberating really. I hope they do a good job and take our country in the good direction. It certainly will be a different one. I wish him well. It really is hard not to like the guy (hopefully he will earn my trust). He is a hell of a speaker. While watching the 2004 DNC, I turned to my wife during his speech and said, "There is your next president." Not a bad prediction, eh?

After 16 years of just completely partisan politics, my hope for this country is that both sides can come together. It really has been exhausting. We are one country, under God, indivisible, (and now there is really no reason to not say) with liberty and justice for all. Congratulations again.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 08:36 »

We all know he has hard work ahead.  I tempered my enthusiasm over the political win with the knowledge that the bigger win -- Obama turning around some very difficult cirumstances for our nation -- will involve a considered strategy, bipartisan support, and not a little luck.  I truly believe that folks who think he's some ultra-liberal will find he is not that, and it's my guess that he appoints at least one Republican to a prominent Cabinet post.  (Hagel to DoD or Homeland?  Powell to SoS or DoD?  Lugar?) 

Some of this economic shit will, I hope, work itself out through the mechanisms of the marketplace.  But certainly not all.  I was no fan of the bailout, but we've committed to that tab.  How the economy fares will determine Obama's first term, IMO.  If the economy is still in the tank in 2012, those first time voters and African-Americans who have been so disenchanted will be asking, "What were we thinking?"  If the Dow is back to 12 or 13K, and we're pulling out of Iraq over the next 16 months, that will be a start.  Staunching the slow bleed of jobs overseas may take a while.

I'm curious to see how he plans to invest in infrastructure and renewable energy, and how that will affect jobs for the middle class.  Will his middle class tax break have a meaningful impact?  Reversing the job flow will be a huge challenge.

On national security, we can only hope that efforts in Afghanistan, with Pakistan very bristly right now, can be wrapped up quickly as well.  Meaning, capture/kill ObL and destroy much of the al Qaeda and Taliban leadership, and return Afghanistan to self-rule as well.  And obviously, the threat of domestic terrorism is never far from our minds, and I see Obama's foreign policy sea change as one that will hopefully obviate the threat, but keeping vigilant against another 9/11 will always be front and center.

There are a whole host of other issues  -- SC appointments, immigration, environmental issues, social issues -- but I think Obama needs to focus on economy, the wars, and national security. 

God speed.  Do America proud. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: