Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 Million votes in and the popular vote is tight  (Read 1879 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 08:58 »

We all know he has hard work ahead.  I tempered my enthusiasm over the political win with the knowledge that the bigger win -- Obama turning around some very difficult cirumstances for our nation -- will involve a considered strategy, bipartisan support, and not a little luck. 

No doubt about it.  But it will be nice to have a leader who understands this.  He says he'll work to unite and not divide whereas with W it was the "My way or the highway" approach that was divisive and deconstructive.  And look where we are now. 

* must .. suppress .. anti W ... rant *

Obama will surround himself with the right people for the job regardless of their party affiliation.  And he'll get to make at least one very important Supreme Court appointment as well.

How much more damage can W do between now and next January?  I shudder to think.

Yeah, Obama's work is cut out for him.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 09:33 »

IIRC, Bush gave lip service to the whole uniter thingey.  I don't doubt Obama's sincerity, but implementing a broad agenda and reaching out to the minority party will be a tough thing.  But at least, as you say, he gets it, whereas Bush needed Cheney and his handlers to spoon-feed it to him.  Not really a "uniterer" after all.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 09:39 »

IIRC, Bush gave lip service to the whole uniter thingey.  I don't doubt Obama's sincerity, but implementing a broad agenda and reaching out to the minority party will be a tough thing.  But at least, as you say, he gets it, whereas Bush needed Cheney and his handlers to spoon-feed it to him.  Not really a "uniterer" after all.

The only uniting Bush ever intended was to get everyone to do things his way.

I must admit that it was awe-inspiring to see a black man become President of the United States.  I told my son, "There is no way to imagine how this feels for black people, especially those who were alive through the 60s."

Man has a tough, tough job ahead of him.  If he can even come close to pulling us together and getting the country moving again, it'll be a job well-done.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 09:54 »

I appreciate the enormity of having someone who is of African-American descent win the presidency.  For my part, race never entered into my consideration of the candidate, except to hope that some nutjob doesn't take a potshot at him.  What I see in Obama is the image he's been selling, neither black nor white, but like America, a melting pot. 

Mrs. F. works in a large state office, with a lot of black co-workers.  She never discusses politics at work, but had someone (black) actually confront her yesterday and say, "Well, I guess you're voting for McCain."  The Commonwealth has strict rules about politics in the workplace, but apparently that was nowhere in sight yesterday.  She said it was like a giant party, almost as though black voters think Obama is going to make them rich. 

It is a great moment in history, but like black athletes who broke barriers, he still gotta go out and play the game.  I don't think we should celebrate that a man who has black heritage won, but rather that the era when a black man could not be elected is over.  And there's a difference.  Hopefully we elected the best and brightest leader, who just so happens to be black. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:00 »

I don't think we should celebrate that a man who has black heritage won, but rather that the era when a black man could not be elected is over.  And there's a difference.  Hopefully we elected the best and brightest leader, who just so happens to be black. 

Fo' shizzle.  :ph34r:

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:03 »

It is a great moment in history, but like black athletes who broke barriers, he still gotta go out and play the game.  I don't think we should celebrate that a man who has black heritage won, but rather that the era when a black man could not be elected is over.  And there's a difference.  Hopefully we elected the best and brightest leader, who just so happens to be black. 

Ditto that.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:21 »

Did McCain start the election night with an ill-advised onside kick?

I was keeping an eye on the electoral count last night, but it was never really close...at least when I checked in.

By the end of the night, I was referring to John McCain as Reginald Denny.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:24 »

The most ironic thing was Bush calling McCain to congratulate him on a campaign well run.

McCain must be thinking, "You fucked me over TWICE now, you bloody twat..."

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:26 »

Within a couple of years, he won't remember if he won or lost.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:36 »

Within a couple of years, he won't remember if he won or lost.

You wanna get an over/under on how long till he kicks it going?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: