Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 17, 2014 at 22:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much will that Obama vote cost you?  (Read 1149 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 16:16 »

The numbers in the previous post does indicate "multiple earners pre tax".  84% of households, multiple earners, earn less than $100,000, pre tax (I just can't believe that on a pre tax basis for multiple earners).  So, if the plan is to lessen the tax burden for "low and middle class" I don't understand how that means reducing taxes for 98.5% of the population?  Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with that, but if 84% earn < than $100K why would taxes only increase for the top 1.5% which earn $250,000+?

Like I said, I'm not complaining now, but I'm suprised the Dems would only look to penalize the top 1.5%.  If that threshhold approaches my taxable joint income level, I'll be buying an extra 10 million in life insurance through my employer if it means reducing taxable income by enough to be under the magic number.

As far as people investing vs spending and stimulating the economy:  Obviously the more you make, the more you are taxed, at least in the income range I am familiar with.  Don't know about those making $250,000+, but they shouldn't be grossly penalized becasue of it.  Because a "wealthy" person chooses to spend one way, or not to spend, instead of buying cigs, beer, Blu-Ray players, mountain bikes etc. they should be penalized?  When people have money, people say they are cheap and stingy.  Well, maybe they just choose not to piss their money away the way other people do.

I understand I may be in a (don't recall exactly) 28% tax bracket and a household that makes $50K is in the 20% bracket.  I don't think that is right, but I accept that's the way it is.  I also don't think someone making $250,000+ should be taxed at 50% just because someone decides that would be more than enough money for themselves, so anyone making more than that is penalized.  Every one should pay their fair share, and that definition is where opinion's differ. 

Here is my example of the tax system.  You have hard working college students that get A's and some hard working types that get C's and D's.  Those C and D students work hard too, but maybe they just arent as smart or don't know how to effectively study, etc etc.  So, becasue those C and D students work hard, and have good intentions, everyones grades should be averaged out, giving the A students B+ and the other students B's.  I think that is a very fair and accurate representation, and just can't understand it.

I'm not a huge politico, but I need a new mountain bike, and if I have to shell out another $500 per month in taxes, it ain't gonna happen.  Actually it probably won't happen anyway because I'm too cheap.   Mmmm, maybe down deep I really know that'd be pissing it away.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 16:52 »

Someone I know sent this to me.  Too bad I can't get him to post on here.  He is definitely right-wing and his personal political platform is "tax the homeless".  Very entertaining.  Anyway, there is a link at the bottom of the verbage for calculations.

Calculate Just How Much You'll Miss the Bush Tax Cuts

Obama and the Democrats insist they'll repeal all the Bush tax cuts - in
fact, it's one of their signature campaign promises.  While the
following link is not an exact calculator, you can put in your taxable
income for 2008 and calculate your tax bill, and then do the same for
the tax rates of 2000, before the Bush tax cuts went into effect, and
see what the difference is.

For example, let's say you're part of a married couple, filing jointly,
with $60,000 in taxable income. In 2008, you would pay $8,198. If you
have the same amount of taxable income after the Bush tax cuts are
repealed, and tax rates return to 2000 levels, you'll pay $11,100.

You get to be more patriotic in Barack Obama's mind to the tune of
$2,902, out of your pocket and into the government's coffers. Gotta
spread that wealth around, you know.  Much better that the government
gets to spend that $3,000 than for you to spend it on, say, your
children's college fund, or some other nonsense like that.

But don't worry. Barack Obama says he won't raise taxes on people making
less than $250,000, and provide a tax cut for 95 percent of Americans.
He promised.............

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

Here is another calculation for you, since your upset about you childs "college fund" **cough** sports car **cough**

If we never got into the war with iraq, the money we spent there, could of paid off every single persons college tuition and debt.
but noooo under bush we NEEDED to attack Iraq for what? WMDs? Where were they?
no one is perfect, its impossible
why sit here and bash obama when you havnt even seen what he can do for this country, instead of throwing your support behind a PROVEN moron in bush.
I personally dont mind sending a little more of my paycheck to help out those less fortunate than myself, because here in america, whether you red eyes want to see it or not, people are born at a disadvantage all the time, and if you think im full of it then you are blind.

furthermore, if you want change for the good in this country, you first have a country that is motivated to change. McCain and Bush and all their B.S. couldnt motivate anyone. But if you need proof of the motivation Obama brings to the people of this country just look at Chicago last night. 1,000,000 people? THAT IS UNHEARD OF FOR A CAMPAIGN CELEBRATION! that is the support, belief, and motivation this country has been lacking for these 8 miserable years.

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 17:48 »

I think most republicans will tell you "Bush isn't your father's republican".  Usually the Dems want bigger govt which means more spending.  Bush definitely isn't your stereo typical republican.  Republicans support the war, mostly for the troops, but if starting the invasion was up for a vote, it would have been voted down 99% to 1%, no doubt.

I said earlier, there isn't a candidate, or a party for that matter, that I agree with 100%.  Overall I'm more Republican, but I'm closer to the middle.  I'm anti Republican on religion and abortion, two biggies, but mostly Republican on other things.  I'm anti Democrat on social programs/issues.

I want to buy as much of what ever I want as I feel I can afford.  And, as long as I don't have to give half my income to some non-english speaking fast food worker (spanish, ebonic, hillbilly etc etc)  I'll buy what ever I want, with cash.

I'm glad a lot of people are juiced about Obama, and I hope he can make positive changes for everyone, even people who make more than $250,000.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 18:04 »

Here is another calculation for you, since your upset about you childs "college fund" **cough** sports car **cough**

You know, people actually do save for their child's college fund. And can rightfully be concerned about that with out the **cough** sarcasm **cough**.

If we never got into the war with iraq, the money we spent there, could of paid off every single persons college tuition and debt.
but noooo under bush we NEEDED to attack Iraq for what? WMDs? Where were they?
no one is perfect, its impossible
why sit here and bash obama when you havnt even seen what he can do for this country, instead of throwing your support behind a PROVEN moron in bush.

All the pre-war intelligence going back to Bill Clinton said Iraq had WMD's, many countries around the world had intelligence stating the same. Saddam bluffed, he lost. Plenty of other points about Iraq can be argued, including the moronic strategy. Bush definitely dropped the ball without question. I am with the supporting of President-elect Obama, let's rally together as a people and get the job done. I am pretty much sick and tired of the hating my side your side bitching that has been going on in our country for 16 years. It sucks, and I am tired.

I personally dont mind sending a little more of my paycheck to help out those less fortunate than myself, because here in america, whether you red eyes want to see it or not, people are born at a disadvantage all the time, and if you think im full of it then you are blind.

There is no law preventing you from doing that right now. If you are so generous with your money, and think the government can do such wonderful things with it, have more taken out of your check, and refuse the income tax refund.

furthermore, if you want change for the good in this country, you first have a country that is motivated to change. McCain and Bush and all their B.S. couldnt motivate anyone. But if you need proof of the motivation Obama brings to the people of this country just look at Chicago last night. 1,000,000 people? THAT IS UNHEARD OF FOR A CAMPAIGN CELEBRATION! that is the support, belief, and motivation this country has been lacking for these 8 miserable years.

Was there actually a million there? There were thousands, but I am doubting a million. Either way, Obama is a cult of personality, and can certainly bring the crowds. I do wish him well. His success=our country's success....I hope.

And hey, in four years, he may earn my trust and could get my vote then....BTW, didn't vote McCain.

Oh yeah...Go Bobcats!
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 at 18:42 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: