Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 01:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodley fined 10K - rediculous  (Read 1517 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 11:26 »

It's official, NFL football is turning into European soccer. 

Not sure what you mean here... Soccer is much more physical than the technical rules allow, not less physical. Especially European football.

I'll give bonzr the benefit of the doubt here, and assume he means diving will soon become a feature of NFL QB play.  The league is asking for it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 12:26 »

It's official, NFL football is turning into European soccer. 

Not sure what you mean here... Soccer is much more physical than the technical rules allow, not less physical. Especially European football.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 12:29 »

Ya, the diving in soccer kills me. Have seen a couple of yellows for simulating recently though...Lets hope QB's don't start making hits and tackles look worse than they are.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 12:34 »

I hear ya Steel-43. There is something fundamentally wrong with what Goodell is trying to do here. It is a collision sport, as Mike says.

Always hated how punters try to get the roughing the kicker penalties by exaggerating any contact....effing kickers...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 13:02 »

I hear ya Steel-43. There is something fundamentally wrong with what Goodell is trying to do here. It is a collision sport, as Mike says.

Always hated how punters try to get the roughing the kicker penalties by exaggerating any contact....effing kickers...

I'm all for protecting the QB's head and knees and players in general, but this is going overboard. 

When you are not permitted to wrap up a QB (a 6'5" 233 one at that) and bring him to the ground, there is something definately wrong with the sport.  When you are not permitted to lay out a beautiful block for a HB, TE or WR, something is wrong.  The NFL makes money off the "The NFL's Hardest Hits" DVD's, yet they turn around and fine the guys who are doing the hitting.

We are at the point now, where Goodell doesn't even know why in the hell he's fining guys anymore....

NFL rescinding $7,500 fine to Giants star DE Justin Tuck
by Paul Needell/The Star-Ledger
Friday November 07, 2008, 7:54 PM

Upon further review, The Star-Ledger has learned Tuck need not appeal the fine he was slapped with for the personal foul called on him for leveling Cowboys QB Brooks Bollinger last Sunday. Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive VP of football operations, will be informing Tuck of this some time tonight.

According to a high-ranking league official, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had not even seen the play until today. He immediately told Anderson the fine was too harsh. Giants coach Tom Coughlin has defended Tuck throughout the week so both he and his best defensive player should feel quite vindicated.

And Giants fans can stop complaining to any media outlet that will listen.

Was the roughing the passer penalty unwarranted as well?

"The officials are instructed to err on the side of safety," the NFL official said. "Therefore, we support the call on the field. However, as you know, most penalties do not require a fine. A fine was not justified."
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2008 at 13:15 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 13:27 »

What is the process for getting rid of a commish?  Can he be fired?  To what extent is the decision that of the owners and to what extent does the player's union have a say?  If I'm on the union side going into the next round of negotiations, this issue is on the front page.  This guy is flat outta control.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 13:49 »

Good question.  I think it's up to the owners to fire the commish so don't hold your breath.  Seems like the Rooney's like and maybe even lobbied for the guy.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 14:02 »

Seems like the Rooney's like and maybe even lobbied for the guy.

That's an understatement....

"NFL owners should begin working on a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell, Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney said yesterday.

Goodell signed a five-year contract when he was elected by the owners in August 2006 to succeed Paul Tagliabue. The owners seem pleased with his performance.

Rooney said a contract extension is merited but has not been officially discussed among the owners yet.

"There has not been talk about that yet," Rooney said in a telephone interview. "But I've thought about it, and I think it's time to start talking about it. I think he's done a wonderful job."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/21/AR2008102102479.html

And yes, it is up to the owners to give him the boot.  Hell, as long as they are not paying the fines and the players are, why would they boot him?  He's protecting their investments.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 14:24 »

Well there you go.  Guess the old noggin still has a few operational cells after all.

And yes, it is up to the owners to give him the boot.  Hell, as long as they are not paying the fines and the players are, why would they boot him?  He's protecting their investments.

True dat. 

Somebody else is gonna have to get the FireRogerGoodell! site going.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Thunder
N00b

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2008 at 14:34 »

I remember seeing on one of the stories about the Tuck fine being rescinded that Gene Washington is actually the NFL guy that is deciding on the fines. Goodell isn't in the loop unless someone protests.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: