Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 17:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flyers vs Pens  (Read 905 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Nov 13, 2008 at 00:44 »

As always, it should be a good one and as always....the Flyers still suck.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 02:29 »

These are always good matchups. I go to Radford University in Virginia, and the comcast sports net, who cover the Capitals, are actually showing the game tomorrow night. Pretty shocked by it, but I wont ask questions. Go Pens!

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
whitmer_87

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 20:17 »

Goligoski is sucking dick tonight! Three or four illadvised passes, and he completely shit to bed on that shorthand break away. Why is he playing point on the first pp? We play with four forwards, if we had to pick one defensemen why not choose Letang? I dunno, it's whatever though. We're gonna take this game. Fuck these pansy ass Phlyers.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
whitmer_87

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 21:25 »

Wooooo!!! What that smell like Philly?

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 22:39 »

Not a great win in my opinion. You give a division rival a point after getting up on them 3-0. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if this team did not have a habit of blowing leads. They go flat when they get a lead and it's going to end up hurting them at some point. It's all fine and dandy right now, but they need to get that worked out and fast.

Crosby played out of his skull tonight.  I still feel he's hurting, but the guy still managed to put on a showing tonight. Watching him play in person is truly a thing of beauty.

Minus getting his shot blocked which led to one of our two SH goals, I felt Goligoski looked pretty damn good. He got some good shots on net and made up for that blocked shot earlier in the game by netting the game winner.  The guy made a mistake, it happens.  I can't count how many times Malkin has mishandled the puck at the point and had shots blocked only to watch a goal go the other way.  Maybe if they actually played two defensemen at the point like the rest of the NHL we wouldn't have that little SH goal problem we have had all season long, just a thought.

Excellent move by Therrien to pull Fleury and play Sabourin.  Fleury looked off his game tonight.  It happens.  Sabourin possibly made the best I have seen in a long, long time during that shootout.  Staal had some chances and missed, but he was moving his legs, getting in front of net and using his body.  I felt Satan looked like the Satan in the whole month of October. No kick in his step. Not winning the battles in the corners. Just sluggish.

Anways, I'll take the two for sure, but they have to play better hockey, unless we plan on getting leads, blowing them and getting them back come playoff time? Bring on the Sabres.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 at 22:41 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 22:59 »

Minus getting his shot blocked which led to one of our two SH goals, I felt Goligoski looked pretty damn good. He got some good shots on net and made up for that blocked shot earlier in the game by netting the game winner.  The guy made a mistake, it happens.  I can't count how many times Malkin has mishandled the puck at the point and had shots blocked only to watch a goal go the other way.  Maybe if they actually played two defensemen at the point like the rest of the NHL we wouldn't have that little SH goal problem we have had all season long, just a thought.

I disagree, he turned the puck over his fair share of time; he had many of his shots blocked; he looked confused on a couple of occasions. He's young though, and that is to be expected. He's definitely got the abilities, he just has to work on a couple of things. That SO goal was huge though. When a young guy makes that happen, it's a sign of good things to come.

We really do need another defensemen out there on the pp. I know we're missing our two best offensive defensemen, but we really gotta get Letang and Goligoski on the first pp unit. Malkin has a wicked shot, but that doesn't mean he can hold the point like we need.

Sid was amazing tonight!

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 23:21 »

I disagree, he turned the puck over his fair share of time; he had many of his shots blocked; he looked confused on a couple of occasions. He's young though, and that is to be expected. He's definitely got the abilities, he just has to work on a couple of things. That SO goal was huge though. When a young guy makes that happen, it's a sign of good things to come.

Fans are always screaming "shoot the puck!" and that "this team doesn't shoot the puck enough!", well, now we are shooting the puck.  There are going to be blocked shots, particulary from your point.  It's the price you pay.  Minus the blocked shot which led to a SH goal, I really do not recall Goligoski turning the puck over "his fair share of time".  If anything, I recall Malkin turning the puck over on a number of occasions tonight and in his own zone to boot.  He was doing the exact same thing during the Detroit game. 

Sadly, there are going to be SH goals when you have a forward at the point instead of two defenseman who can watch each other's backs.  Maybe if we had two defensemen back at the point, blocked shots wouldn't be that big of a deal because we wouldn't have a forward cheating down and leaving one defenseman (doesn't matter if it's Goligoski or Gonchar) back at the point to fend off a two on one or three on one?  Put two defensemen back there and this problem goes away or we can continue to was SH goals every other night.

Eitherway, Goligoski makes mistakes and I'm sure he will again in the future.  He can join the club with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Gill, Sydor, Gill, Zigomanis, Staal, Fedotenko, Kennedy, Godard, Cooke, Sabourin, Scuderi, Talbot, Satan, Dupuis, Sykora, Bissonnette, Whitney, Gonchar and Letang who will all make mistakes in the future. 

I will have a problem with the guy if he starts making a habit out of it.  Until then, I love the way the guy has been playing and I can't really complain.  To be honest, I can't complain about any of our defensemen.  They are the least of our worries (SH goals and blowing leads come to mind).  Fans see the Wings put up six goals on us and the Flyers put up four and they think the defense is losing it, but when your offense goes AWOL after they gain a lead and only play 40 minutes of hockey on some nights, the defense is going to take a beating.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2008 at 23:38 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
whitmer_87

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 12:54 »

Everyone makes mistakes yes, I'm not denying that or preaching perfection here. I just saw countless times where Goligoski messed up last night. He forced some passes into traffic that resulted in turnovers, he lost the puck in the corner a couple times, he didn't look good in our own end on a couple occasions. I'm not saying I think the guy sucks, I just don't think he played that well. He certainly made up for it with that SO goal though.

PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 14:30 »

Why is he playing point on the first pp? We play with four forwards, if we had to pick one defensemen why not choose Letang?

I was simply answering the questions you posed..... 

For starters, it helps when you have 3 goals, 4 assists, sporting +2 and are currently riding a four game point streak.  Second, unlike "Letang", Goligoski actually shoots the puck.  Something we have not been doing enough of for the last month.  Goligoski can shoot the puck all day long for I care.  Maybe he wouldn't "shit the bed" if his other point man wasn't cheating down low on two different occasions last night and on a number of occasions before last nights game?

Maybe this article will answer your questions better than I can....

Goligoski already power-play staple
Thursday, October 23, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alex Goligoski is, in some ways, being eased into the National Hockey League.

He is averaging just 17 minutes, 49 seconds of playing time per game, the fifth-lowest total among Penguins defensemen, and hasn't spent a second on the ice while his team is short-handed.

Stats like those suggest the Penguins want to avoid force-feeding the league to a 23-year-old who had just three NHL appearances on his resume before this season.

But things change -- dramatically -- when the Penguins have a power play.

Goligoski doesn't just get some work when the Penguins have a man-advantage; he mans the left point on their No. 1 unit.

Filling that role has translated to an average of five minutes and 54 seconds of power-play time per game, more than any Penguin except Sidney Crosby, who averages 6:12, through his first six appearances of the season.

And he isn't likely to lose that job anytime soon. Going into the Penguins' game against Carolina at 7:38 tonight at Mellon Arena, Goligoski has scored two of the team's eight power-play goals and has, for the most part, distributed the puck effectively.

The only surprise, at least to this point, is that Goligoski hasn't picked up an assist. Assistant coach Andre Savard, who oversees the defense, shrugs that off as an early season anomaly

"He'll get his assists," Savard said. "I'm not worried at all about that. ... Once he gets going, he'll get some assists. He'll have more assists than goals."

History supports Savard's contention, because Goligoski's assist total has surpassed his goals every season since his days at Grand Rapids (Minn.) High School.

Truth be told, though, there never have been any questions about any facet of Goligoski's offensive game. What matters is that any lingering ones about how well he could play in his own end of the ice are disappearing.

Although Goligoski doesn't overwhelm anyone with his size (5 feet 11, 180 pounds), he positions himself well and uses his stick effectively.

And, most important of all, according to Savard, Goligoski genuinely cares about his performance in the defensive zone.

"He wants to learn, he's willing to correct a few [bad] habits and he's competing," Savard said. "He's got a good stick. The big thing with him, what we've been working on, is puck awareness in the defensive zone.

"He's improving in that. Defensively, he's gained a lot of confidence, and the coaching staff has gained a lot of confidence [in him]."

So has Mark Eaton, Goligoski's partner most of the season.

"He's played well," Eaton said. "He's gotten stronger every game."

Goligoski acknowledged the differences in the game at this level, not just obvious ones like overall skill level, but how there is less down time than in college or the American Hockey League, where games are played primarily on weekends -- but doesn't seem to be unsettled by any of them. He also isn't fazed that Savard, who works with the penalty-killers, relies primarily on veterans Eaton, Rob Scuderi, Hal Gill and Brooks Orpik when the Penguins are down a man.

"Obviously, we have a lot of defensemen who can kill penalties," Goligoski said. "I'd say they're probably better at it than I am. Hopefully, I can work my way in."

That will happen, Savard said, although he did not predict when.

"He'll kill penalties," Savard said. "He won't be strictly an offensive player because he cares defensively. That's where it starts."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08297/922168-13.stm

whitmer_87

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 06:28 »

You can shoot the puck all day, but if most of them are illadvised and/or blocked it's irrelevant. I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm just saying I don't think he played particularly well the other night. Again, most of his shots were blocked, he turned the puck over, and didn't look good in our own end.

Maybe if the other point man cheated up he wouldn't have shit to bed, but then again his shot came right back at him and he missed it and Gagne took it all the way. He blew that play, plain and simple. Everyone is apt to making mistakes though, especially young defensemen. Like you said, everyone messes up every now and then. Everyone has areas they can improve on. Sid can get better at the draws, Malkin needs to be more physical, Staal needs to be more consistent, Goligoski has to improve in a couple areas, etc. It's just how it is, doesn't mean their bad players

It's all irrelevant though, Goligoski isn't even a concern of mine. He'll be fine, I'm more worried about giving up lead so many times. We really gotta do something about that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: